AuthorMessage
mark

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:28 am

krugersoldier wrote:
I just want to mention that i am a musician with studio experience
That's as may be, but I still say you're nuts Wink

It's a shame Bob Mattheu isn't around to set us all straight - looks like we've scared him off though, and I can't say I blame him!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy

Number of posts : 3441
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:15 am

I've had a chance to listen to it, and i have to agree its definitely a recent vocal. Its the exact same voice, as G has suggested, as that on weirdness.

I've also heard Hey, Peter and if you listen to them the difference is clear. Hey Peter sounds like a genuine outtake from the period, while im hungry is a like a cleopatra release.

Im surprised they put it on the album; iggys lyrics and vocals on it are atrocious - i dont konw why they thought it was important to include it let alone to add new vocals

leaving it as an instrumental would have been fine, but the lyrics and vocals are very poor

i dont understand why they had to scrape stuff together for a third CD; the main reason to get this, apart from hopefully a definitive version of the album, is georgia peaches, it sounds great

HJW
Back to top Go down
mark

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:42 am

To say that the vocal is a recent addition is wild conjecture at best. To continue to state it as fact, without any substantiation at all, seems a bit irresponsible. Until there's any evidence whatsoever to the contrary, I'm happy to believe that it is what it claims and appears to be - an outtake from 1972.
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:08 am

mark wrote:

It's a shame Bob Mattheu isn't around to set us all straight - looks like we've scared him off though, and I can't say I blame him!

Yes, I wonder where he is, because now I'm getting really suspicious.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:40 pm

Question to all here:

From what I've heard, and I admit I haven't heard the whole track yet- it sounded pretty damn good. So, my question is: do you like it? Never mind all the technical/chronological bullshit. Is it a good song or no?

At the end of the day, that's all that matters.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
soldier

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2007-06-17

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:51 pm

hummm , where can we hears this song ?
Back to top Go down
Garageman

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:39 pm

I'm yet to hear "I'm Hungry" (or whatever it's real title might be), but on the Legary Recordings web site it says:

"Disc Three: Rarities, Outtakes, & Alternates from the Raw Power Era Selections: 1. I'm Hungry (outtake from Raw Power sessions)..."

If this indeed is a recent overdub of an instrumental backing track (or even worse, samples of a backing track), they should have mentioned it. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:26 pm

Loose1969 wrote:
Question to all here:

From what I've heard, and I admit I haven't heard the whole track yet- it sounded pretty damn good. So, my question is: do you like it? Never mind all the technical/chronological bullshit. Is it a good song or no?

At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Its not really all that matters where this set is concerned but anyway. The band sounds alright though sterile, Ig's lyrics and vocals are dreadful though. Seriously, they'd be hilarious if this set didn't have such a big price tag.
Back to top Go down
soldier

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2007-06-17

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:30 am

well , for me there's nothing from 1972 in it

thx mc
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:34 pm

So thats 6 people who agree with the "NUTS" guy and his "WILD CONJECTURE" and no one who agrees with Mark Smile
Back to top Go down
mark

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:41 pm

Oh yes, it's a lonely life.

(I'd rather be lonely than nuts though)
Back to top Go down
rokyforever

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:51 pm

You can hear part of I'm Hungry on the second Raw Power podcast. And I have to say I agree with the NUTS, that Iggy vocal sounds suspiciously recent...
Back to top Go down
Garageman

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:07 pm

rokyforever wrote:
You can hear part of I'm Hungry on the second Raw Power podcast. And I have to say I agree with the NUTS, that Iggy vocal sounds suspiciously recent...

...and so do the drums too. I wonder if this is a recent studio jam. But why include it on the Deluxe set?
Back to top Go down
boogie

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:13 pm

Another proof that the basic master tracks were properly recorded....

Last edited by boogie on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Garageman

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:16 pm

"2010" would've been a more suitable title for that "song"...
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:18 pm

There is a giveaway difference between "Hey Peter" and "Im Hungry", and thats Iggys culinary tastes! on Hey Peter Iggy talks about making a "sandwich for a psychedelic band" and on Im Hungry about "appetizers and hollandaise" like hes been watching Nigellas cooking show. Its so obvious one is 1973 and one is 2010
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

Number of posts : 407
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:19 pm

Just weighing in on Stoogegate:
The 'I'm Hungry' vocals are clearly recent.
Perhaps done in the 90's around the time of the Iggy re-mix? Maybe Williamson thought they were older when he got re-involved a decade later? Who knows...

Still glad I went with the Deluxe. Stooges completists get worn down by the abuse after a few decades and learn to accept it. I call it "Stoogeholm Syndrome".

My only real quibble: if the Rubber Legs version of 'Head On' is being passed off as 'previously unheard', why not include a better song like 'Open Up & Bleed'?

I'm hoping this at least paves the way for a completely re-mixed 'Rubber Legs' LP that includes possible alternate takes of 'Bleed' etc. that Natalie has mentioned them rehearsing.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:59 pm

krugersoldier wrote:
So thats 6 people who agree with the "NUTS" guy and his "WILD CONJECTURE" and no one who agrees with Mark Smile

Hey this place is about The Stooges, since when has the main opinion mattered? Mark I'd give it another listen (if you can stand it), weigh it up with "The Weirdness" and "Raw Power", the vocals are new.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:26 am

As a UK fan who is enjoying the Legacy edition (including "Doojiman) but simply can't afford the deluxe edition right now, what are forum members views on "I'm Hungry" & "Hey Peter" as songs?
Back to top Go down
Radiobirdman73

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:02 am

Personally - I think I'm Hungry and Hey Peter are both great. There's been some talk about I'm Hungry having the vocals overdubbed recently - but I'm not buying it. It sounds like just what it is - a scratch vocal. Just because Iggy isn't screeching and howling like a drug-fueled lunatic doesn't mean it wasn't recorded in '72. In fact - if you listen to the beginning of Gimme Danger - he sings in a similar tone, a tone he hasn't hit since 1980. When your voice has deepend as much as his has - you can still shriek and howl - but the middle tones are gone as it becomes more and more difficult to find that middle region.

As for the drums - they sound from the same period as Tight Pants, I Got A Right and the other RP demos. Yes - they're cleaner - but they also were'nt mixed until 2010 - meaning the machines used are definitely more advanced and specifically used for pulling the magnetic signal from an analog tape for eventual digitization. Also - the tape probably hadn't`been spun through a reel to reel a dozen or so times in an effort to develop a mix or been slept with - as Iggy was reported to have done with the RP tapes while mixing them himself.

Fans of Sly Stone's 'There's A Riot Goin' On' can attest to what happens to analog tape after its been spooled through a reel to reel a few dozen times. Eventually - you end up with muddier sound as the sharpness of notes bleeds and fades.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:25 am

"I'm Hungry" & "Hey Peter" are the two songs that made me consider buying the deluxe, but it's unaffordable right now. Are they verse/chorus style songs, or more freeform as per "Doojiman?"
Back to top Go down
elvis plebsley

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2007-03-09

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:41 pm

having listened to it twice, I don't think it's a 2010 vocal. I don't think that Iggy can sing like that anymore. There's none of the obvious strain on the voice that is on the Weirdness for example. It does, however, sound a bit like his voice post-Stooges in the 70s. This doesn't mean that it isn't 1972, but that and the nature of the mix, means that you wouldn't have to be nuts to be suspicious.
Back to top Go down
harmonia

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-09-29

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:12 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
Fuck if that is an outtake then its a Weirdness outtake!
ha ha you kill me man that has got to be the worst insult you could place on a piece of music! I am thinking about just picking up the legacy edition and getting the rest on bit torrent. On that subject has anyone seen any torrents up for the documentary yet?
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:47 pm

mark wrote:
Got to say, I've listened to this and I think you're all nuts!

Why the hell would the modern-day Stooges bother going back to a 28-year-old backing track, overdub it with deliberately half-assed vocals and try and pass it off as a vintage outtake? What would be the point?

Admittedly the vocal on this track isn't great, but it's obvious that it's just an off-the-cuff studio moment that was never intended for release. Iggy sounds like he's casually freestyling, putting placeholder vocals on a tune that the band have perhaps only just worked out - not unlike the offhand versions of Money and Louie Louie from the I Got A Right sessions. I hear nothing here to suggest that it's not an original 1972 vocal, albeit a less than sparkling one.

The mix sounds cleaner than the original album version because it's obviously a fresh 2010 mixdown from the original multitracks. It sounds different from the album because it was mixed in a modern digital studio by clear-headed middle-aged men, rather than in some scuzzy Hollywood facilty by a couple of drug-crazed loons in 1972. However, if you listen to the actual sound of the guitar and drums, you can tell it's contemperaneous to the Raw Power verison, minus various effects and analogue scuzz.

A Pro Tools loop? Are you kidding?

Great post. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
MJG196

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:38 pm

StoogesMySpaceAdmin wrote:
mark wrote:
Got to say, I've listened to this and I think you're all nuts!

Why the hell would the modern-day Stooges bother going back to a 28-year-old backing track, overdub it with deliberately half-assed vocals and try and pass it off as a vintage outtake? What would be the point?

Admittedly the vocal on this track isn't great, but it's obvious that it's just an off-the-cuff studio moment that was never intended for release. Iggy sounds like he's casually freestyling, putting placeholder vocals on a tune that the band have perhaps only just worked out - not unlike the offhand versions of Money and Louie Louie from the I Got A Right sessions. I hear nothing here to suggest that it's not an original 1972 vocal, albeit a less than sparkling one.

The mix sounds cleaner than the original album version because it's obviously a fresh 2010 mixdown from the original multitracks. It sounds different from the album because it was mixed in a modern digital studio by clear-headed middle-aged men, rather than in some scuzzy Hollywood facilty by a couple of drug-crazed loons in 1972. However, if you listen to the actual sound of the guitar and drums, you can tell it's contemperaneous to the Raw Power verison, minus various effects and analogue scuzz.

A Pro Tools loop? Are you kidding?

Great post. Cool

Completely agree w/ Mark. To think that Iggy can still sing like that is nuts. This is a studio outtake of Iggy and the band working through a riff, trying to find lyrics. And as Mark later pointed out, why the fuck would they bury this on a bonus disc when James and Iggy have clearly stated they are working on new material? It doesn't make fiscal sense.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm Hungry   

Back to top Go down

I'm Hungry
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next