Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:39 pm

That sounds familiar Elvis. I'm guessing you are from the UK. Punk was massive in my life as a teenager. The first I heard of The Stooges was The Pistols cover of No Fun, but then The Damned's Brian James really started spreading the word on how great The Stooges were (which he still does to this day.) A lot of great names were put out there as influences (including The MC5 and the New York Dolls.) Once the seed was sown, it only took one listen to the first album on a cheap little record player in a friend's bedroom to be totally hooked. After that, Fun House just took it to a whole new level. Amazing to think that first listen was so long ago, and yet the records sound as fresh now as they did then.
Back to top Go down
berlinberlin

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:35 pm

@ Rob & Elvis: "Amazing to think that first listen was so long ago, and yet the records sound as fresh now as they did then". I totally agree - its somehow unbelieveable HOW good the sound is...getting "Fun House" out of the speakers (thanks to my tolerant neighbours) is really satisfying....
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:27 pm

Yeah BB, and even more so after the Rhino remaster. Because it had been a very long time favourite, I couldn't believe how much better it sounded absolutely roaring out of the speakers after the remaster.
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:54 am

I first heard the Stooges aged 16.

I'd got into Iggy a little through liking Bowie, and my school colleagues who were into music had slightly more wide ranging tastes than I had at that time (I caught up though!).

A guy said I must hear them (the Stooges), and at break we sat in his car and he played 'Real Cool Time'.

Needless to say I was impressed.

Not long after I got the 'No Fun' LP, which compiled large chunks of The Stooges and Funhouse - I was still wet behind the ear in terms of going to secondhand record shops, and besides this import LP while expensive for me at that age was still a lot easier to find and cheaper than the original albums.

I remember in the summer of 89 a tape of that album was like the soundtrack of my summer.

Not long after, for some considerable time Raw Power became my favourite Stooges album, but that gradually changed....certainly long by the time I saw the Stooges in Hammersmith 2005 (the joint best concert I've ever seen in my life!) Funhouse had been my favourite, and remains so.
Back to top Go down
StoogesForever69

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   Thu May 07, 2009 1:07 am

i herd of Iggy when i was 11 on vh1 most shocking, it was when he bleed at the Max's Kanas City. but i didnt really mind about him

then i got into the Mc5 And then The Stooges, i was 12 1/2, then The Stooges opened me into Punk Rock, Alternative, Grunge and Mostly Heavy Metal.

and then i got Raw Power
Back to top Go down
thehumanvirus

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 am

you know i can't remember how old i was. growing up in michigan i'm sure i heard them before i was a teenager but that is when i got funhouse. no other band had the power that they had. when they first reunited and i found out they were playing in detroit i hit that open road with my thumb hanging out. i did not have any money and by then i was living on the west coast. so it only seemed logical to hitchhike back to see the stooges right? well the video does not really do that show justice if you were there but hey i still own it right. anyway see you on the other side ron
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...   

Back to top Go down

How old have you been discovering the Stooges / Iggy and ...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3