No, I Dont Really Care
90%
 90% [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 30

AuthorMessage
scott

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:24 pm

Lydon's advert on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mSE-Iy_tFY
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Number of posts : 2608
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:28 pm

haha- thank you scott! like it!
Lydon's a comic buffoon-type figure now - and he knows it, does it pretty well too in my opinion...well what else could he have become seeing as how the Sex Pistols didn't topple the Queen after all Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:54 pm

that is a very funny ad.
i like this Iggy one:

Last edited by ZinZin on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
saichan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:17 am

G, F#, E wrote:
Anybody else noticed a lot of these threads dissolve into Lydon or Sex Pistols hating? Iggy likes the Sex Pistols and half of the members played with him! Iggy even defended Lydon in the famous Canadian interview.

I'm not sure what Iggy liking the Pistols, or vice versa, has to do with it. What Iggy likes, or Lydon likes, has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on what I like, and I simply just cringe every time I see Lydon these days. I cringe a bit less when I see Iggy's insurance ad, or hear his later music, and that's about all there is to it.

However, I should have qualified my statement about their early careers (because I was really talking about the Pistols there, who I can take or leave; so sue me!). Possibly the only band I love as much as the Stooges is the early version of Public Image Ltd, with Lydon, Jah Wobble and Keith Levene -- a band formed as the Pistols were breaking up. This original version of PiL was a phenomenal band, and Lydon was magnificent: his lyrics were amazing and otherwordly, and his persona was scarier than when he was in the Pistols, because here he seemed truly possessed by evil and out of control, free to taunt and play with his demons in a band of his own creation, not one overseen by McLaren.

So, when I speak of disillusionment with Lydon, it's not because I 'hate' him, as you infer, or because I want to boost Iggy up instead of Lydon, it's because I know there's an 'alternative' or 'parallel' Lydon just below the surface of the butter-pimping version we have seen for the past couple of decades, and it just seems such a shame that he will never let that genie out of the bottle ever again, whereas Iggy, on occasion, does.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Number of posts : 2608
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:13 pm

saichan wrote:

One thing I *will* say is that the Ig's ad is nowhere near as offensive as Lydon's butter monstrosity. In fact, there's no comparison between Iggy and Lydon in their later careers (and, for me, in their early careers, too; Iggy streets ahead on all counts). While Iggy may be doing insurance ads, and while his latter-day albums ain't that hot, the way he handles himself in present-day interviews is a million times more interesting, self-deprecating and intelligent than Lydon's vapid, cliched, cartoon punk-rock-demi-god shtick.

From start to finish, Iggy for the win, absolutely no doubt about it.

could you explain in what sense Lydon is now 'vapid'? He's just different from Iggy. Is he 'vapid' because you don't agree with the kind of image he now cultivates, or because he continues to cultivate any image at all, or something else? what's the issue here?

also 'Iggy for the win', what does that refer to? I wasn't aware he was in contest with Lydon or with anyone else, as this seems to imply.
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Ross McGuinness wrote in todays Metro newspaper
' ROCKER Iggy Pop had a hit with The Passenger but
he certainly won't be the driver if he uses the car insurance he pushes.
The half-naked wildman boasts in the 25million Swiftcover ads:
'I got it Swiftcovered.I got insurance on my insurance. Do it. Get a life. Get Swiftcovered'
But musicians who applied were told they were ineligible and some have now complained to the Advertising Standards Authority.
Bassist Tim Soong found entertainers were excluded when he applied.
The 30-year old from Kennington, south London, rang up but was told Pop was different "because he is American'.
'Iggy Pop tells people having Swiftcover will save them time.But he's wasted my time,' he added.
The star was promoting insurance 'and not any specific occupations' , said Swiftcover marketing head Tina Shortle.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy

Number of posts : 3441
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:55 pm

i actually never thought that iggy would have it himself, i thought he was just promoting it, but thats a big hit, they cant be taken seriously now, it dents their credibility if they have a musician/entertainer promoting it and they wont even give it to them, kinda ridiculous
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:18 am

aiaiai that's a nasty one Ted Shocked
This will harm Iggy's credibility much more i'm affraid.. than the fact that he got a lot of money for doing the ad.
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:48 am

Sorry Zin, I was just quoting an article seen in the local free paper tonight,....... I'm happy he's making money.
Back to top Go down
saichan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:21 am

Nadja wrote:
could you explain in what sense Lydon is now 'vapid'? He's just different from Iggy. Is he 'vapid' because you don't agree with the kind of image he now cultivates, or because he continues to cultivate any image at all, or something else? what's the issue here?

also 'Iggy for the win', what does that refer to? I wasn't aware he was in contest with Lydon or with anyone else, as this seems to imply.

Hi Nadja, I'm not sure I am able to explain any clearer than my last post in this thread, where I say I'm not looking to boost one over the other. And of course it's my personal opinion, and my own personal disappointment, based on the sense that Lydon created something extraordinary with PiL and chose to not pursue that particular muse for whatever reason.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:43 pm

Both Iggy & (particularly) Lydon were to some degree anti-establishment, at least in their early careers. I think that's why people can feel a bit let down by this sort of thing. As a teenage Pistols fan when Lydon was originally venting righteous anger at the world, I was briefly disappointed to see him now involved with butter! I guess we all need a pension from somewhere, so I will forget the butter and remember The Bollocks instead. I don't find the Iggy ad so bad, but you have to wonder if he really needs cash from that source with The Stooges having had a pretty successful couple of years recently. Far more annoying was the way my friends who know how long I have been a Stooges fan couldn't wait to inform me it was a sell-out. It seemed to amuse them for a moment anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   

Back to top Go down

Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2