Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
andrew



Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:39 am

mark wrote:
No I Got a Right, Gimme Some Skin or Jesus Loves the Stooges... is there another I'm Sick of You album somewhere?[

Sorry! My Sick Of You album is a 1981 LP release. I hadn't realised the Bomp CD release was different. The LP has versions of I Got A Right and Gimme Some Skin, which it claims are different to the original 1977 single release on Siamese records. I would hope that between Heavy Liquid and Year Of The Iguana you'd have all released versions of these two tracks, but it really would be case of comparing them - and I wouldn't have time to even attempt that this week! Looks like Bomp put out the vocal version of Jesus Loves The Stooges on a CD single/EP instead - and it's now out of print, according to their site :-(

Another possible loose end is the two live tracks that were put on a single that came with the original Rubber Legs LP. These are supposed to be from American Theatre, St Louis, but I haven't checked that's correct. I'm fairly sure I've seen a CD release of Rubber Legs including these two tracks at some point...
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:18 am

That would be the Line Records edition then! It looks like it did at least get put out on CD, and there's a download link on that blog. Grabbing it now.

Rubber Legs requires further Googling, will report back.

Does this band have the most ridiculous discography ever?
Back to top Go down
citizensmurf



Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:07 am

mark wrote:
Does this band have the most ridiculous discography ever?

I think that prize goes to Sun Ra, who used to press an album with blank labels and have several people fill in the blanks. Sometimes an album has up to four different names depending on who wrote it, and when it was made. Then he would sometimes take two albums and hybridize them, that is, take side one from one and side two from another and blamo, a new album, sometimes with a different title altogether. There is an 800 page discography called the Earthly Recordings of Sun Ra that kind of makes sense of it all.

But back to the topic at hand, I'm going to do some listening over the next little while and see if I can answer some of these questions. I do believe that Jesus Loves the Stooges was a Kill City outtake of some sort, so it really isn't a Stooges song.
Back to top Go down
andrew



Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:07 am

citizensmurf wrote:
I do believe that Jesus Loves the Stooges was a Kill City outtake of some sort, so it really isn't a Stooges song.

I don't think so. It appears on my Detroit Rehearsals tape and other listings of those tapes that I've seen and it seems to fit pretty seamlessly in with what else is on the tape as far as I can remember. (At least the instrumental version is on my tape - I'd have to go back and listen to see if the vocal version is on there are well.) I do recall reading some story that Iggy put the vocals on years later, but I'm pretty sure this is wrong.

A long time ago I did start an exercise of trying to catalogue what was on my tape and correlating it with the various releases and also tentatively attempting to identify it with the various rehearsal tapes listed at the back of the 2nd edition of The Wild One book. Maybe I should go back to that exercise - unless somebody else has already done the same thing?
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:14 pm

andrew wrote:
Another possible loose end is the two live tracks that were put on a single that came with the original Rubber Legs LP. These are supposed to be from American Theatre, St Louis, but I haven't checked that's correct. I'm fairly sure I've seen a CD release of Rubber Legs including these two tracks at some point...
Yep, it's been out on CD through Fan Club/New Rose/Century with the live tracks as you say. The songs are Gimme Danger and I Need Somebody. According to this guy's page, the same versions also travel on a tape labelled as being from Max's.

(As an aside, the same guy's page states that the Bomp releases of certain shows are edited from the masters and have fake applause added... urgh...)

I've listened to the version of Jesus Loves the Stooges from the I'm Sick of You LP, and it does seem possible that the vocals on the second half were overdubbed. On the first half the way they have a very 'roomy' sound that suggests they were done live with the rest of the music. Then they suddenly pan to the hard left stereo channel and become much clearer... something's going on there!
Quote :
A long time ago I did start an exercise of trying to catalogue what was on my tape and correlating it with the various releases and also tentatively attempting to identify it with the various rehearsal tapes listed at the back of the 2nd edition of The Wild One book. Maybe I should go back to that exercise - unless somebody else has already done the same thing?
That would be great.
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:22 pm

PS the Rubber Legs CD appears to be downloadable here if anyone is able to check those tracks.
Back to top Go down
effectfreak



Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:08 pm

I really loved Double Danger and was really disappointed when I heard that Latin Casino gig was at wrong speed. It was pretty much my favourite show, good sound quality, good versions of songs (they are fast and now we know why). Still can listen to Academy of Music show tho.
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:32 pm

What about these Raw Power mixes on the Revenge 'Complete Raw Mixes CD' (and presumably also the Raw Mixes Vol 3 release)?

12 Shake Appeal (2:58)
13 Search And Destroy (3:20)
14 Raw Power (4:29)
15 I Need Somebody (2:58)
Is Search and Destroy the same as on My Girl Hates My Heroin? Is Raw Power the same as on Year of the Iguana/the Raw Power EP? What about the others?
Back to top Go down
andrew



Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:37 pm

mark wrote:
Yep, it's been out on CD through Fan Club/New Rose/Century with the live tracks as you say. The songs are Gimme Danger and I Need Somebody. According to this guy's page, the same versions also travel on a tape labelled as being from Max's.
Unfortunately my copy of American Theatre, St. Louis, 1st Set, which I think is probably the show they're from, is jammed in a tape deck at the moment, so I can't check it!

mark wrote:
(As an aside, the same guy's page states that the Bomp releases of certain shows are edited from the masters and have fake applause added... urgh...)
Hmm, I've actually got the vinyl bootleg I assume he's talking about of Academy Of Music (Night Of The Iguana) which is the source for the Bomp release. I'll have to compare them. (I could've sworn they were the same and the Bomp recording had been lifted straight from the LP.)

mark wrote:
I've listened to the version of Jesus Loves the Stooges from the I'm Sick of You LP, and it does seem possible that the vocals on the second half were overdubbed. On the first half the way they have a very 'roomy' sound that suggests they were done live with the rest of the music. Then they suddenly pan to the hard left stereo channel and become much clearer... something's going on there!
You're right! I've listened to my tape which has the vocals up until about 2:50. After that it's all instrumental, some of which has distortion on the piano and has been excised from the release. I also found the article (Spiral Scatch Magazine, March/April 1989) where I read the claim that vocals had been overdubbed by Iggy and it says this was for the second part only. I wonder what the story is there?!? Incidentally, this part of my tape seems to correspond to the tape dated February 20 1973 listed in The Wild One book.

I will try to catalogue what's on the rest of the tape, but I probably won't get a chance to start this for at least a few days.
Back to top Go down
andrew



Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:39 am

mark wrote:
What about these Raw Power mixes on the Revenge 'Complete Raw Mixes CD' (and presumably also the Raw Mixes Vol 3 release)?
These are rough mixes from the Raw Power album, probably duplicated on Rough Power. They were probably lifted from the Shake Appeal bootleg 10 inch, but again this would be a case of comparing the mixes.

mark wrote:
Is Search and Destroy the same as on My Girl Hates My Heroin? Is Raw Power the same as on Year of the Iguana/the Raw Power EP?
No. These are from Detroit Rehearsal tapes. Probably the same take each time - certainly Raw Power is the same take across HL, MGHMH, and YOTI. I haven't (yet) checked Raw Power EP or the Search & Destroy takes. Of course there are also probably variations in quality and minor variations in tape speed as well, but I'll leave it to somebody else to check for that sort of thing Smile
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:27 am

andrew wrote:
mark wrote:
(As an aside, the same guy's page states that the Bomp releases of certain shows are edited from the masters and have fake applause added... urgh...)
Hmm, I've actually got the vinyl bootleg I assume he's talking about of Academy Of Music (Night Of The Iguana) which is the source for the Bomp release. I'll have to compare them. (I could've sworn they were the same and the Bomp recording had been lifted straight from the LP.)
There's a copy of Night of the Iguana on Ebay, apparently with the following tracklist:

Raw Power
Head On
Wet My Bed
I Got Nothing
Cock in My Pocket
Search & Destroy
Gimme Danger
New Orleans (= Heavy Liquid right?)
Rich Bitch

Whereas Double Danger appears to have:

Raw Power
Rich Bitch
Wet My Bed
I Got Nothing
Cock In My Pocket
Search & Destroy
Gimme Danger
Heavy Liquid

So it's a slightly different order, without Head On.

The guy's trade list also says that the Bimbo's tracks on California Bleeding are edited with fake applause, but as that show is on Heavy Liquid anyway I guess it's no big deal.

Don't know about anyone else but I'm not sure whether I want to shake Greg Shaw's hand for getting all this stuff out into circulation in the first place, or punch him for putting them out in such a riduculous scrambled way...

mark wrote:
You're right! I've listened to my tape which has the vocals up until about 2:50. After that it's all instrumental, some of which has distortion on the piano and has been excised from the release. I also found the article (Spiral Scatch Magazine, March/April 1989) where I read the claim that vocals had been overdubbed by Iggy and it says this was for the second part only. I wonder what the story is there?!?
It is weird - you'd wonder why he'd bother really. We know Williamson's tape machine was 2-track, so maybe Iggy just had a vocal idea for the piece after the practice that he overdubbed to see what it'd sound like.
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:34 am

andrew wrote:
mark wrote:
Is Search and Destroy the same as on My Girl Hates My Heroin? Is Raw Power the same as on Year of the Iguana/the Raw Power EP?
No. These are from Detroit Rehearsal tapes. Probably the same take each time - certainly Raw Power is the same take across HL, MGHMH, and YOTI. I haven't (yet) checked Raw Power EP or the Search & Destroy takes.
Looks like there isn't a Detroit/LA/CBS version of Raw Power or Search & Destroy on Heavy Liquid, so they must be unique versions again?
Back to top Go down
andrew



Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:05 pm

mark wrote:
There's a copy of Night of the Iguana on Ebay, apparently with the following tracklist:
That is the tracklist that appears on the cover, but the actual record has exactly the same tracks as the Bomp release. I'm certain the Bomp release is lifted straight from Night Of The Iguana. The giveaway is at the end with the voiceover saying "Despite their rousing songs and hysterical speeches the Nazis could not defeat the free world", presumably used by the bootlegger to mask the fact that the recording of Heavy Liquid/New Orleans was cut short. It is the same on the original and Double Danger. (Also I think Raw Power has some ranting in German dubbed over the intro by the bootlegger - again it is on the Bomp release as well. So if anyone's tampered with this, it's not Bomp.)

Also isn't it this one that's fast, rather than Latin Casino?

mark wrote:
Don't know about anyone else but I'm not sure whether I want to shake Greg Shaw's hand for getting all this stuff out into circulation in the first place, or punch him for putting them out in such a riduculous scrambled way...
Now that he's no longer with us, I wonder who has the source tapes for the Detroit Rehearsals? I'd really like to see a label put them out properly altogether in full, hopefully with the story behind them properly documented.
Back to top Go down
andrew



Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:08 pm

mark wrote:
Looks like there isn't a Detroit/LA/CBS version of Raw Power or Search & Destroy on Heavy Liquid, so they must be unique versions again?
I don't follow you. The Detroit Rehearsal versions are on HL - disk 3 track 1 and 8.
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:36 pm

Sorry, you're right - I was looking at the tracklisting on Easy Action's site, which seems to be totally unconnected to what's actually on the disc!

The Easy Action site lists the following, presumably from some kind of early draft of the tracklist:

1. Cock in my Pocket
2. Open Up & Bleed
3. How it Hurts (Rubber Legs)
4. Johanna
5. She Creatures of the Hollywood Hills
6. Head On
7. Born in a trailer
8. Till the end of the night / I got a problem
9. My girl hates my heroin/ Wild Love
10. Hey Baby ?
11. Jesus loves the Stooges

Note that there's no Hey Baby on the final version. Always a twist and a turn...
Back to top Go down
andrew



Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:42 pm

mark wrote:
Note that there's no Hey Baby on the final version. Always a twist and a turn...
Hey Baby is track 14, Mark Smile
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:46 pm

Oh yeah. So, erm, the tracklist on Wikipedia is wrong too...
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:38 pm

andrew wrote:
mark wrote:
There's a copy of Night of the Iguana on Ebay, apparently with the following tracklist:
That is the tracklist that appears on the cover, but the actual record has exactly the same tracks as the Bomp release. I'm certain the Bomp release is lifted straight from Night Of The Iguana. The giveaway is at the end with the voiceover saying "Despite their rousing songs and hysterical speeches the Nazis could not defeat the free world", presumably used by the bootlegger to mask the fact that the recording of Heavy Liquid/New Orleans was cut short. It is the same on the original and Double Danger. (Also I think Raw Power has some ranting in German dubbed over the intro by the bootlegger - again it is on the Bomp release as well. So if anyone's tampered with this, it's not Bomp.)

This is odd - the trade list I linked to above says the following:
Quote :
12/31/1973
New York City, Acadamy Of Music 43 aud VG

(From an unedited collectors' tape. This is the source recording used for "Double Danger" - see below. My taped source comes from an unknown vintage vinyl bootleg circa 1978.)
Raw Power
Gimme Danger
Wet My Bed
Heavy Liquid
I Got Nothing
Rich Bitch
Cock In My Pocket
Head On (not on "Double Danger")
Search And Destroy


(From "Double Danger" which is resequenced and edited with additional applause)
Raw Power
Cock In My Pocket
Rich Bitch
Search And Destroy
Wet My Bed
Gimme Danger
I Got Nothing
Heavy Liquid
So if I'm reading this right, he's got a tape of the show from an unknown boot LP that has an untampered version, with an additional Head On, of the show that appears in tampered form on both Night of the Iguana and Double Danger.

On further examination, the list seems to belong to Chazz Avery, who I think posts on this forum sometimes - are you reading, Chazz?
Quote :
Now that he's no longer with us, I wonder who has the source tapes for the Detroit Rehearsals? I'd really like to see a label put them out properly altogether in full, hopefully with the story behind them properly documented.
I second that. It would be great to have a remastered box set with the complete Detroit rehearsals, and another with full and untampered versions of all the 73/74 live shows that we've been talking about here, so we can finally forget about all these stupid Bomp/Revenge releases!
Back to top Go down
andrew



Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:10 pm

mark wrote:
So if I'm reading this right, he's got a tape of the show from an unknown boot LP that has an untampered version, with an additional Head On, of the show that appears in tampered form on both Night of the Iguana and Double Danger.
Night Of The Iguana was one of the first Stooges bootlegs to appear and I have never heard of another bootleg LP of that show. It's pretty likely that it's not the full show though. For a start there's the tracklist on the sleeve, which is not the same as the record. Also, as the sleeve notes to Double Danger say, most shows from this period follow the opening Raw Power with Head On...

mark wrote:
I second that. It would be great to have a remastered box set with the complete Detroit rehearsals, and another with full and untampered versions of all the 73/74 live shows that we've been talking about here, so we can finally forget about all these stupid Bomp/Revenge releases!
I've started working my way through my "Detroit Rehearsals" tape. So far I've got through the stuff that I think corresponds to the tape dated February 20 1973 in The Wild One book. With approximate timings, the tracks are:-

Johanna 4:45
Rubber Legs 5:12
Rubber Legs 5:34
Till The End Of The Night 7:40
Open Up And Bleed 1:27 (take breaks down)
Open Up And Bleed 5:06 (breaks down)
Open Up And Bleed (fast) 0:30 (breaks down)
Open Up And Bleed (fast) 3:14
She Creatures Of The Hollywood Hills 4:41
Jesus Loves The Stooges 9:10 (various stops and starts)
Gimme Danger (slow) 3:10 (breaks down)
Gimme Danger (slow) 4:20 (band start part way in)
Gimme Danger (faster) 6:01

I think all the complete takes have been released in one form or another. (The timings won't match up due to tape speed differences.) The interesting thing is that Johanna, Rubber Legs, and the 5:06 Open Up And Bleed are the versions sometimes claimed to be from CBS studios. So it looks to me as though these supposedly "CBS" tracks are in fact from the same rehearsal tapes as the rest of the stuff that's come out on Bomp and Revenge, and not from a different source. For further evidence of this compare the Open Up And Bleed on disc 3 and disc 4 of Heavy Liquid. Unless I'm much mistaken they're both the same February 20 take!

I get through more of the tape as I have time.
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:23 am

andrew wrote:
mark wrote:
So if I'm reading this right, he's got a tape of the show from an unknown boot LP that has an untampered version, with an additional Head On, of the show that appears in tampered form on both Night of the Iguana and Double Danger.
Night Of The Iguana was one of the first Stooges bootlegs to appear and I have never heard of another bootleg LP of that show. It's pretty likely that it's not the full show though. For a start there's the tracklist on the sleeve, which is not the same as the record. Also, as the sleeve notes to Double Danger say, most shows from this period follow the opening Raw Power with Head On...
Maybe there were two editions of Night of the Iguana with different tracklistings?

Thanks for the first installment of the Detroit tracklisting. Do you think that the full tape contains all of the rehearsal materal that's come out on Heavy Liquid, plus all the Bomp/Revenge scraps? How does the sound quality compare to the officially released versions?
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:17 am

Oh, I found this in another thread that might save you some time. Someone dug it up on Usenet, apparently it's a listing from Goldmine of everything recorded in 1973:

Studio Session 1973
-------------------------
Search And Destroy
Cock In My Pocket
Come Hungry Sweet Child part 2
Come Hungry Sweet Child
Cock In My Pocket
Raw Power
Come Hungry Sweet Child
Come Hungry Sweet Child part 2
Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell

Studio Rehearsal 1973
----------------------------
Rubber Legs
Open Up And Bleed
Johanna
Cock In My Pocket
Rubber Legs
Head On
Cry For Me

Detroit Rehearsal February 3 1973
--------------------------------------------
Rubber Legs
My Veins Are Crying
Rubber Legs
I Need Somebody
Black Ace
Johanna
Head On
Emotional Problems

Detroit Rehearsal February 20 1973
---------------------------------------------
Johanna
Rubber Legs
Rubber Legs
I Gotta Problem
Open Up And Bleed
Open Up And Bleed
Jam
Jesus Loves The Stooges
Gimme Danger (slow)
Gimme Danger (fast)
Gimme Danger

Detroit Rehearsal February 25 1973
---------------------------------------------
Johanna
On The Beach
Problems
Nowhere
Johanna
Mellow Down Easy
Love Light
Sack O' Shit
Problems
Head On

Detroit Rehearsals March 11 and 19 1973
---------------------------------------------------
Cock In My Pocket
Head On
Search And Destroy
Search And Destroy
Search And Destroy
Search And Destroy
Raw Power
Raw Power
Raw Power
Death Trip
Various Jams

Detroit Rehearsals March 17 and 18 1973
-----------------------------------------------------
Emotional Problems
Emotional Problems
I Gotta Problem
Jam
Head On
Head On
I Need Somebody

Detroit Rehearsal March 1973
--------------------------------------
I Gotta Problem
Raw Power
Rubber Legs
My Girl Hates My Heroin
Open Up And Bleed
jam
Jesus Loves The Stooges
Gimme Danger


Your 20 Feb 1973 kinda tallies with their 20 Feb 1973, except for some of the song titles. Indeed, there are quite a few song titles there that I've never even heard of before - Come Hungry Sweet Child, My Veins Are Crying, Love Light, Sack O'Shit, Problems... whuh?


Last edited by mark on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:20 am

Just to get this back to the original topic by the way, I'm still looking for answers to these questions if anyone can help:


1) Are the tracks from the final show included
on Gimme Danger (Revenge) the original Marc Zermatti mixes that are
allegedly superior to the versions on the Jungle/Munster releases of
Metallic KO?

2)
Is the track Heavy Liquid on the Snapper Live In LA 73 the same as the
version on Bomp's Open Up & Bleed / Easy Action's Heavy Liquid?
Back to top Go down
andrew



Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:29 am

mark wrote:
Maybe there were two editions of Night of the Iguana with different tracklistings?
All I can say is, I've never seen anything to suggest that.

mark wrote:
Thanks for the first installment of the Detroit tracklisting. Do you think that the full tape contains all of the rehearsal materal that's come out on Heavy Liquid, plus all the Bomp/Revenge scraps? How does the sound quality compare to the officially released versions?
I've got about 3 hours, but I think there is more than this circulating (eg see Dirt's Tradelist.) So I don't think I have everything that's come out, but I think a lot of it is on what I've got. (I also doubt that there are any full takes on what I've got that haven't come out.) The quality isn't as good as the releases, as you might expect, but it's pretty listenable. What isn't clear to me is how many, if any, of the tapes listed in the Wild One aren't represented by these circulating recordings. Also I'd like to know where the original masters are, or if they even still exist. Did Bomp ever really have them, for example?

mark wrote:
Oh, I found this in another thread that might save you some time. Someone dug it up on Usenet, apparently it's a listing from Goldmine of everything recorded in 1973:
Those are the tapes listed in The Wild One

mark wrote:
Just to confuse matters, none of the above seem to tally with the tracklisting you gave above, and there are quite a few song titles I've never even heard of before - Come Hungry Sweet Child, My Veins Are Crying, Love Light, Sack O'Shit, Problems... whuh?

The tracklisting basically tallies with Feb 20. (I Gotta Problem = Till The End Of The Night.) Per Nilsen, author of The Wild One, has said on this forum that he believes most of these song titles are alternate titles rather than unknown songs.
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:55 am

andrew wrote:
I've got about 3 hours, but I think there is more than this circulating (eg see Dirt's Tradelist.)
Is the tape you're working through the same as this one (from the JesusLovesTheStooges tradelist)?

Quote :
00-00-1973 Studio Rehearsals
DISC 1
1 Johanna
2 Rubber Legs
3 Rubber Legs
4 Till the end of the night
5 Open up & Bleed
6 Open up & bleed
7 Open up & bleed
8 Open Up & Bleed
9 She Creatures of Hollywood Hills
10 Jesus loves the stooges
11 Jesus loves the stooges part II
12 Gimme Danger
13 Gimme Danger
14 Gimme Danger
15 Unknown song
16 Unknown song
17 Unknown song
18 Unkown song
19 Unknown song
DISC 2
1 Unknown song
2 Cock in my pocket
3 Head on
4 Search & Destroy
5 Search & Destroy
6 Search & Destroy
7 Search & Destroy
8 Search & Destroy
9 Raw Power
10 Raw Power
11 Raw Power
12 Raw Power
13 She Creatures of Hollywood Hills
14 Raw Power
15 Search & Destroy
16 Search & Destroy
17 Search & Destroy
18 Search & Destroy
19 Search & Destroy
20 Search & Destroy
21 Raw Power
22 Raw Power
23 She Creatures of Hollywood Hills
24 Raw Power
25 Studio Chat
DISC 3
1 Raw Power
2 Death trip
3 Born in a trailer/Nowhere
4 Gimme Danger
5 Unknown song
6 Johanna
7 Johanna
8 Johanna
9 Rubber leggs/How it hurts (different lyrics)
10 Till the end of the night
11 Johanna
12 Unknown song
13 Head on (different lyrics)
14 Head on (different lyrics)
15 Head on (different lyrics)
If so, most of the many other '73 tapes on his list seem to be subsets of the above, with the possible exception of:
Quote :

00-03-1973 Detroit Rehearsals (17/18-03-1973)

DISC 1
1 Wild Love
2 Wild Love
3 I Got a Problem
4 Up tempo part C to Previous Song
5 Head on (inc)
6 Head On
7 Unknown song
8 Head On
9 I Need Somebody (inc)
10 Johanna
11 Johanna (distorted & Louder Cuts)
12 Johanna (cuts)
13 Johanna ( Vol Drops back down)
14 Johanna
15 Johanna (Cuts)
16 Johanna (cuts)
17 Johanna
18 I Got a Problem
DISC 2
1 I Got a Problem
2 Raw Power
3 Rubber Legs
4 Wild Love
5 Wild Love
6 Wild Love
7 Unknown song
8 Open Up & Bleed
9 Jam
10 Jesus Loves the Stooges
11 Gimme Danger
12 Gimme Danger
13 Gimme Danger

And even the final bit of that one (in red) seems to overlap with part of the first one.

There's possibly also this one, but it could just be bits of the first one chopped up:
Quote :
19-03-1973 Detroit Rehearsals

DISC 1
1 Cock in my pocket
2 Head on
3 Search & Destroy
4 Search & Destroy
5 Search & Destroy
6 Search & Destroy
7 Search & Destroy
8 Search & Destroy
9 Raw Power
10 Raw Power
11 Raw Power
12 Raw Power
13 Raw Power
14 I Need Somebody
15 Death Trip
16 Instrumental Jam

DISC 2
1 Johanna
2 Johanna
3 Johanna
4 How it hurts
5 Till the end of the night
I'm convinced that the masters of these recordings, when you weed out all the identical stuff that's duplicated across different copies, are probably far more concise than they appear.
Quote :
mark wrote:
Just to confuse matters, none of the above seem to tally with the tracklisting you gave above, and there are quite a few song titles I've never even heard of before - Come Hungry Sweet Child, My Veins Are Crying, Love Light, Sack O'Shit, Problems... whuh?
Per Nilsen, author of The Wild One, has said on this forum that he believes most of these song titles are alternate titles rather than unknown songs.
I thought as much. What's the source for Per's tracklisting? Could his titles be regarded as more 'official' than the ones bestowed by Bomp?
Back to top Go down
andrew



Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:23 am

mark wrote:
Is the tape you're working through the same as this one (from the JesusLovesTheStooges tradelist)?

Quote :
00-00-1973 Studio Rehearsals
It certainly starts the same as this one. I think they might diverge later on, but I'm not sure at the moment.

mark wrote:
If so, most of the many other '73 tapes on his list seem to be subsets of the above, with the possible exception of:
Quote :

00-03-1973 Detroit Rehearsals (17/18-03-1973)
Yes I think I don't have at least some of that one.

mark wrote:
I'm convinced that the masters of these recordings, when you weed out all the identical stuff that's duplicated across different copies, are probably far more concise than they appear.
Yes I suspect that's the case.

mark wrote:
I thought as much. What's the source for Per's tracklisting? Could his titles be regarded as more 'official' than the ones bestowed by Bomp?
You can find his posting through forum search (his user name is pernil.) But he basically says they're from Bomp's reels.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?   

Back to top Go down
 
Revenge and Bomp releases... which ones are still needed?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» The Mahavishnu Live CD - What stopped its release?
» Stryper song titles (new songs)
» New releases on Nov. 15 that I'll be getting....
» I have to say I really look forward to Duff's memoirs
» The Vault releases Sussewell 1973

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: