Registration date : 2007-04-20

PostSubject: Robert Matheu book   Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:54 pm

Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy

Number of posts : 3441
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:22 pm

i dunno, i think thats a decent price for a 200 page hardback, and probably large book, like the recent mick rock raw power book

thanks for posting the link

cant wait for it
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:01 pm

Got to say I'm a bit dissappointed I was wanting a massive Stooges photo book similar to the official Elvis one that came out a while ago but since there's little Stooges photos in reality I got my hopes a bit too far up.

I hope it's better layed out as though I love the newer edition of the "Raw Power" Mick Rock photo book it has way too many pointless montages and quotes spread over two pages.

Still I'll be buying this one Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Number of posts : 2608
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:31 pm

how can you be disappointed G? it's not out yet
anyway, it sounds good, altho a bit of a wait till October
Back to top Go down
mc

Number of posts : 1771
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:46 pm

That price actually seems pretty low as I was thinking 50-60 for a high quality hardback artbook of Stooges photos would be pretty fair.

Does seem small to me too, I was researching doing a similar book last year before Robert contacted me to kindly say he was doing his Smile , and from the photographers I'd contacted it would be easy to do a 300+ page book with all the classics + loads of unseen Stooges photos.

I notice the title has changed again as well, to the very bland 'Stooges: The Authorized and Illustrated Story', I much preferred "Rock Action". I'm thinking all round Abrams has had a strong hand in what the final product will look like.

And do hope it's a large book, not like the New York Dolls one from the same publisher.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:01 pm

I thought 192 pages sounded like a fair number.
Hope there's plenty of previously unseen photos from the 'original' Stooges era cheers
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:07 am

Agreed for what it is the price seems fair, I'll be buying it.

Smile
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:50 am

Nadja wrote:

I was really hoping for a huge coffee table book that might well break the coffee table. Like I said there was an official Elvis book made in that style published a few years back and it was HUGE. Although I know there aren't that many Stooges photos I was really hoping for something gigantic Laughing
Back to top Go down
mc

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:49 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
Nadja wrote:

I was really hoping for a huge coffee table book that might well break the coffee table. Like I said there was an official Elvis book made in that style published a few years back and it was HUGE. Although I know there aren't that many Stooges photos I was really hoping for something gigantic Laughing

It could have been huge, there are hundreds of unseen photos out there, however they are certainly not cheap. When I spoke to Redferns/Getty and the like they were saying 80 - 100 per photo for a 1000 print edition book or 400 for a cover photo, directly licencing from a photographer is a bit cheaper. So doing the maths you can see how expensive it can get before you even factor in printing / marketing / distribution.

Robert obviously has a cost edge here in that he has a large archive of his own photos (and Creem's) to use, so we'll probably get to see a lot of these but he's been in touch with many of the photographers (or their archive holders) who photographed the Stooges back in the day - so yes there'll be 1st Album and Funhouse outtakes and lots of live stuff, maybe even a few closeup Dave photos for you Nadja.

Hey if it doesn't turn out any good (I'm sure it's gonna be great though), I might pick up where I left off, everyone I spoke to was very happy to use their photos.

Last edited by mc on Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:02 pm

RE cost, the Bowie fans around here will know about photo books going for 300, so I'd say 21 is cheap personally! Smile
Back to top Go down
mc

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:18 pm

Stranger09 wrote:
RE cost, the Bowie fans around here will know about photo books going for 300, so I'd say 21 is cheap personally! Smile

yeah those Genesis Publications are lovely.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:24 pm

mc wrote:
[, maybe even a few closeup Dave photos for you Nadja.

well, that's all I need isn't it! Very Happy

if there's that much stuff out there it's kind of a pity that more of it hasn't been released long before now.
Back to top Go down
mc

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:54 pm

Nadja wrote:
mc wrote:
[, maybe even a few closeup Dave photos for you Nadja.

well, that's all I need isn't it! Very Happy

if there's that much stuff out there it's kind of a pity that more of it hasn't been released long before now.

It's a shame most articles and books just seem to recycle the same old pictures from the big Photo Agencies, 'cos I guess it's alot easier than tracking down the rarer stuff from photographers themselves.

Some of the people I spoke to said they've been waiting for people to contact them about their Iggy/Stooges photos (I have to say though they haven't exactly been actively advertising the fact that they have them - Bud Lee's archive holder for example. Now Bud spent a few days with Iggy in 1970 taking lots of shots of Iggy out and about in NY (eg that fire engine shot) and getting ready for the concert that night at Asbury Park + fantastic shots at the gig).

Then there's Kurt Ingham who took some stunning pictures at the Fillmore (a few were published but there are rolls of unseen outtakes). He told me he's looking into the possibility of doing an exhibition of them in LA sometime, fingers crossed.

And Danny Fields of course has hundreds of unpublished photos.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. There really could have been an Elvis sized book like GFE mentions.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy

Number of posts : 3441
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:58 pm

Quote :

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. There really could have been an Elvis sized book like GFE mentions.

damn, its a pity virgin or whomever can't put money behind the stooges for these kinds of things, even more a pity theres no market for it i guess, i suppose a forum full of stoogephiles isnt the greatest demographic lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:27 pm

pretty good decent price for that many pages!
before ordering i wanna see a bit more: some pictures. the quality. how many text is in it.. stuff like that.
what is it, that Amazon thinks people will order without knowing what they can expect.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:29 pm

mc wrote:

Aw now I'm really disappointed Sad That really would have been an amazing book. The Stooges were always a brilliant visual band too. I would have been happy to pay a fai bit of money for a huge book like that.

Oh, and for people wondering what the Elvis book I'm on about is called it's "Elvis: A Celebration", it was about 40. A very good price for such a big book.
Back to top Go down
mc

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:22 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
mc wrote:

Aw now I'm really disappointed Sad That really would have been an amazing book. The Stooges were always a brilliant visual band too. I would have been happy to pay a fai bit of money for a huge book like that.

Oh, and for people wondering what the Elvis book I'm on about is called it's "Elvis: A Celebration", it was about 40. A very good price for such a big book.

Don't be disappointed G, I'm sure it gonna be a great book. Maybe it'll leave room for anther one too.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:35 pm

mc wrote:
[Don't be disappointed G, I'm sure it gonna be a great book. Maybe it'll leave room for anther one too.

Yeah hopefully I've just wanted a proper Stooges photo book for so long and Mick Rock's "Raw Power" disappointed me a bit with it's huge two page quotes and montages.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:36 pm

mc wrote:
[.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. .

just the tip of the iceberg??? Shocked
when you think it's been forty-odd years...hope it doesn't take another forty for this stuff all to be released, or even most of it!!!!
Back to top Go down
dtklamf

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2007-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:28 pm

http://www.abramsbooks.com/Books/The_Stooges-9780810982895.html

A little bit more infomation.

Nigel

P.s i shall be buying it whatever the price.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:48 pm

So its not just a photobook, interesting. Seems kind of silly since there's so much in "Open Up And Bleed".
Back to top Go down
mc

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:20 pm

Think there's gonna be some special edition versions of the book as well.
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:22 pm

Both of the L.A. Stooges' photographers Suzan Carson and Richard Creamer had their photo legacy estates turned over to the Michael Ochs Archives upon their early cancer deaths. Michael was (and is) a well-liked and well-respected music guy in town. The Ochs Archives then were resold to Getty Images decades later when it seemed opportune..

This is a double-edged sword: on one hand, their photos are preserved and readily available for (pricey) sale and usage. On the other hand, not everyone associates their names with their work. Suzan did the famed Kill City session, and probably few outside this forum know that.

You can see examples of both photographers in Matheu's great new book.
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:05 pm

Ouch! Freaking Out Late to the party, the L.A. Times excoriated the book in their 12/19/09 edition, mainly for the caliber of the writing. Unfair, as we can't all be Paul Trynka, a writer of great insight and accuracy with style. I wonder if they noticed there were rather a lot of nice. large photos therein? confused
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:25 pm

Yeah, a lot of the prose was a bit too flowery & sub-Lester Bangs-ish for my taste. Much of the 60's & 70's Creem writing - even Lester's stuff - would'nt wash in the stripped-down present. Ever read his Funhouse review? Talk about excess verbiage. (I much preferred Bangs' interviews/battles with Lou Reed).

Still...I bought it (multiple copies for xmas also), love it, and have a hard time knocking it too much. Despite the lack of Murder of a Virgin photos...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Robert Matheu book   

Back to top Go down

Robert Matheu book
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next