Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:40 pm

Ok. I'm gonna do it ..
bet there still are a few trivial questions hanging in the air
which Natalie (maybe) can answer for us.

Natalie Schlossmann was with The Stooges between '69 until '74,
She ran the first Stooges Fan Club.

Natalie, first of all of course: thank you enormously that you wanna be here on the forum and answer our questions!
You said in some other thread that you are enjoying the trivial ones too..
so here you go:

Have you been a groupie of The Stooges?
And.. if you were or someone you know was.. was that an honour or was it humiliating in a way?
And what did that mean in those days.. to be a groupie.. like did the groupies also sleep with the boys? stuff like that..
and.. did you maybe ever felt anything for one of the Stooges guys, if I may ask?

Last edited by ZinZin on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:51 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:11 am

Natalie,

Did you meet Nico, or had she left Ann Arbor already?

Did the Stooges ever play w/ or hang out w/ the Funkadelic guys?

Was Iggy's dog collar purchased from a pet shop or *ahem* adult novelty emporium?

Ever bump into any other Michigan up-and-comers like Seger or Glenn Frey?

Were you at the Romeo, MI gig when Iggy was arrested?

The Zettner bros both OD'd within 2 weeks of one another in late '73. Might this have contributed to the breakup of the Stooges a few weeks later?

How did the Stooges possibly get through customs for their handful of canadian gigs? (Lemmy was caught w/ speed in his pants at this crossing, got booted from Hawkwind and - happily - formed Motorhead).

I've know a few female photographer/ music journalists who really resent being lumped in with the groupies. Was this a problem back in the day?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:45 am

This is a test. I answered both of you and it was quite a lengthy answer and it got lost in cyber space. I am going to try again if this posts.

Last edited by Natalie on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : testing)
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:03 am

I posted another lengthy answer and it got lost again. I am giving up for now. Will try again soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:40 pm

Natalie, that is an awefull thing to happen!!
can imagine you are giving up.. i would too Mad

Anybody on this forum??
(maybe Heavy Liquid) can tell Natalie what is the saves t way for Natalie to post?
so this won't happen again!

Last edited by ZinZin on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy

Number of posts : 3441
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:37 pm

i think theres a word limit, when i had to do large posts, or when i was transferring large posts from websites, i copied them or wrote them in MS word/Apple Pages, basically had it as a word document and saved it, if i wanted to, and then just put the message in bit by bit

i got annoyed a couple times when i'd taken ages to write something and it was automatically deleted when you got to post because of the word limit

Its good to hear from you Natalie - hope that helps,
HJW
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Number of posts : 2608
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:41 pm

Natalie,

did the guys have lucky charms, I've only heard vaguely about that toy rabbit Iggy had and Scott had some kind of towel? that was later on? how about Ron & Dave?
any rituals before going onstage, things like that? thanks!

if I start thinking about this trivia stuff I'll come up with too many questions probably so I'm limiting myself Laughing
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:06 pm

I will try again. I think it is my blackberry that limits me also. I suspected I may have posted too many sentences. Thanks for the suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:19 pm

Groupies..........I was never a groupie and none of my friends were either. Groupies were girls, women and some men who would have sex with guys in bands because they were in bands. You ask if it was an honor or humiliating. I think it was both depending on whose shoes you were walking in. Some people were just racking up conquests. Some actually liked a particular person. The thing is they were almost always one night stands. If that was your thing, fine, I didn't judge.

My opinion is that I would rather spend an hour with a musician talking and getting to know him than have an hour of nameless, faceless sex.

There were groupies hanging around looking for action with the guys and many times they got it.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:39 pm

Yes I knew some groupies. I met Sable and Evita. I liked BeBe. We had a mutual friend and I got to know her and spend time with her other than around bands . I also knew Linda Mc Cartney from hanging around the NYC city rock scene. That was before she married Paul. Of course.

You ask if I had feelings for any of the guys. Mostly love for the music blended with friendship. That is all I care to say on a public forum.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:30 pm

Now to Trailerborn's questions.

I knew Nico from seeing her around the NYC. By the time I started to visit Ann Arbor she was long gone.

I never saw any of the Funkadelics and the guys never talked about them when I was around.

I was not there the when Iggy was arrested but I have been witness to many occasions where he could have been arrested if the law was around.

I used to go over to Winsor with friends often when I visited Detroit. We were never searched and we never had a problem. So I would say it was just pure dumb luck for the guys.

Iggy's dog collar was a real dog collar and his dog food was real dog food. LMAO

I used to see Seger, MC5, Up and Alice. I never saw Glenn Fry.

Last edited by Natalie on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:45 pm

I do not think the Zettner tragedy had anything to do with the band breaking up. That was a long time coming and it started before anybody died.

I certainly have sympathy for female photographers since I am one also. Yes back in the day, rock was a man's world and females were lumped into the groupie or screaming fan category.

It was frustrating and still is frustrating today to just want to be respected for your craft on a professional level and have people dismiss you because you are a woman. Music journalists, photographers, booking agents, etc who are female had to work real hard for respect back in the day.
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:57 pm

Thank you for the answers.
Given the scope of your experiences, you should consider putting out a book someday. Lots of people have been slapping together books from old press-clippings, second-hand anecdotes and interviews with friends-of-friends decades after the fact. (I'm not taking Stooges necessarily - music bios in general). I'm sure there is a market for a book covering the 60's & 70's music scene written by somebody that was actually there. I'd sure purchase a copy. Your photo archives must be awesome!
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:11 pm

I just lost the last answer Nadja about lucky charms. I will quit for now and come back later and try again. Just didn't want you to think I forgot about you.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:24 am

no problem Natalie, it's very good of you to be doing all this!

2 final questions from me

what about the macrobiotic diet thing they did, were they still doing it when you knew them? if so, were they all really into it?
also I can't resist asking, who did the cooking, if any?

also, what about outfits? I'm more interested in Scott and Dave in this regard because I haven't heard much about them! what did they wear, generally? any particular interesting outfit from either of them you remember for any show?

thanks once again for all this!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:59 am

Natalie, thank you for your answers!

I can imagine that it must've been hard in a way.. to be a pretty lookin female connected with this tough male group..
with all the drugs, booz and heavy ego stuff. Ron seemed to me the only serious one... nice to have a talk with.
Maybe also Dave. In some interviews I read from not that long ago I realised that Ron must've been a really witty,
light, easy and humorous speaker too.

HJW you got a beautiful signature with a great song in it cyclops
Did you design it yourself or did Soldier do it for you?
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:09 am

Nadja,

There were no lucky charms that I knew about. I also read about the rabbit foot but I was not aware of it. Judging by the little bit of clothing Iggy wore, if he was alledged to keep it with him, I don't know where he would have put it!

Scott and his towel and the fact that it had to be the same towel I also read about. He used to keep a towel around his neck when he played. One time I remember he came off stage and threw his very soggy towel at me. It was done playfully and I told him I was keeping it as it might be worth money some day. So if he thought it was his lucky towel he would have asked for it back.

I never knew about Ron or Dave or any of the guys and lucky charms. Sorry I can't help more on that one.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy

Number of posts : 3441
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:26 am

This information is great Natalie thank you very much, and i have to agree with trailerborn, a book from someones own experiences, stooges and other stories, would be amazing, and i'd certainly buy it too, its an interesting period

Zin, its a good signature, long time coming, kinda messed up earlier one, we both did it in a way lol, i put the photo together with the best name for a song ever "St Louis Adolescent Nightmare" i love that title, i think its on of the stooges best, at least 1971 stuff, and Soldier added my name and the cool lighting effects

thank you Soldier, i appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:19 am

Nadja, lost another answer. I will try once more tonight.

When I met the band Ron was the only one who admitted to eating macrobiotic. BTW, Jimmy Silver was also there at that first trip. I did not see anybody eat that first time. Come to think of it, the first time I saw anybody eat was when they played in Philly. I baked 2 chickens and brought them to the Electric Factory the first night they played. I barely put the bag down and some of the guys were already digging in.

Ron tried to stick with the health diet and I remember teasing him that he was going to start looking like brown rice because he was eating so much of it.

When I visited the Funhouse I never saw anybody cook. I only saw the fridge open once and it was empty except for beer.

Dave wore blue jeans and white jeans. He also liked t shirts. He wore sneakers most of the time. When he came to NY for the Max,s shows, one night he wore a cotton button down short sleeved shirt. It had bright colored flowers all over it.

Scott always favored black but he did also wear blue jeans with t shirts. He usually wore black boots. He had a really cool looking black leather jacket.

I remember that after he got his star tattoo, he started to wear a black see through t shirt.
Back to top Go down
mc

Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:19 pm

A couple more questions from me Natalie Smile

Is it true Iggy had a parrot? Must've been difficult looking after it when they were touring.

Do you know anything about Iggy's weekends away with the Cockettes?
Back to top Go down
Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:04 pm

thanks again Natalie. So Ron was really into the brown rice...haha good to know

And nice to hear about Dave and the T-shirts. From the relatively few photos and bits of footage I've seen, T-shirts looked damn good on him (and the jeans too of course!)
what about that jacket in the picture in my avatar, I'm not sure when that pic's from, 1968 probably, but did you ever see him wearing a jacket like that?

P.S. I know I keep saying thanks, but I really do appreciate your patience with all my questions!
Back to top Go down
MJG196

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:32 am

Natalie, I didn't know you were a photographer. Any photos for sale? Roberta Bayley's site is amazing: http://www.robertabayley.com/
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:57 am

mc,

Iggy never had a parrot that I knew about. I never heard any talk about a parrot. In those days, Iggy was pretty good about taking care of himself but I never thought he was the "pet" type.

The cat who lived at the Funhouse was Ron's and some of the girls hanging around may have been pets.

I don't know much about weekends with the Cockettes. I do know Jackie Curtis was a fan and I used to see him/:her around and about at some shows and once at Max's.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:14 am

Mg196,

When I was doing the fan club I was strickly amatuer and took many snapshots of the guys. Iggy had some of the best ones and when he asked to keep them and I could not say no. I do have a few good ones left but I am not selling anything. I may be working on a project with my oriiginal fanzines and some old photos. It is very iffy so I don't want to say more right now .

For the past 20 years I have been doing professional photography and I also used to teach darkroom classes.

I love the art of photography and I only wish I was able to p hotograph the original Stooges with all I have learned.

Natalie
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:34 am

Nadja,

I sent 2 pms but they are stuck in my outbox.

Natalie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie   

Back to top Go down

Trivial Early Stooges Questions > answered by Natalie
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next