What is that sound in "Ann"?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bpiekut

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-11-02

PostSubject: What is that sound in "Ann"?   Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:56 am

Hi everybody,

Here's a crazy question: What is the sound that kicks in at 5:18 of the long version of "Ann" (in the "Dance of Romance" section) on the 2005 CD release? To my ear, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner or something like that (and definitely isn't a guitar effect).

The reason I ask is that I'm interested in those early Stooges performances with amplified blenders, contact mics, etc., which, as everybody knows, aren't documented anywhere. Could this little buzz be the lone recorded remnant of those early days?

Thanks,

Ben
Back to top Go down
sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: What is that sound in "Ann"?   Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:07 pm

i doubt it....i think they gave up using found household items as musical instruments pretty early on in the game.

im about to go back and listen to it now and see if i can figure out what it might be.

whatever it is its NICE! nice brutal bit of sonic-assault. im assuming its fuzz/distortioin feeding back a bit or something of this nature. but really, who knows? its possible they threw in a bit of some strange sound picked-up through a contact mic (i just doubt this to be the case)

ive always wanted to hear the "vacuum cleaner" stuff, too. its a sad thing that none of that stuff ever got recorded.
Back to top Go down
soldier

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2007-06-17

PostSubject: Re: What is that sound in "Ann"?   Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:32 pm

bpiekut wrote:
Hi everybody,

Here's a crazy question: What is the sound that kicks in at 5:18 of the long version of "Ann" (in the "Dance of Romance" section) on the 2005 CD release? To my ear, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner or something like that (and definitely isn't a guitar effect).

it's ron Very Happy
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: What is that sound in "Ann"?   Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:46 pm

Yeap that's Ron. Some awesome fuzzed out feedback. There is no end to that man's talent, I miss him.
Back to top Go down
sheddy

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: What is that sound in "Ann"?   Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:28 pm

Had a feeling when I saw the title of this thread it would involve the name Ron Asheton.

I wan't wrong.

Amazing what he got out of his kit.
Back to top Go down
bpiekut

PostSubject: Re: What is that sound in "Ann"?   Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:53 pm

Thanks to both for your comments. I appreciate your thoughts, and I am as big a fan of Ron as anybody, but I really do not think that the sound at 5.18 is a guitar effect. It is in its own strange (and unique) place in the mix, it definitely isn't just fuzz applied to a guitar sound, and the onset of the noise doesn't kick in like an effects unit would.

Finally - and do correct me if I'm wrong, please! - there are two guitars happening at this point in the tune, one panned hard left, and one hard right. If our mystery sound is coming from Ron's guitar, then it would likewise be in either the left or the right channel in the final mix (it would be extremely odd to kick in an effect that is so radically separated in the stereo field from the source). But the mystery sound is dead center in the mix, not panned either left or right.

At the risk of typing all day, I'll leave it at that for now (though I do think there are other reasons why this probably isn't guitar)..... Any other thoughts?

Thanks again for your comments - I don't mean to split hairs, but ... uh, it's an inherently hair-splitting question!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is that sound in "Ann"?   Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:19 pm

I extracted the center channel to make it better audible...
Sounds to me like some kind of feedback. Perhabs Iggy got bored
in the studio during the lenghty solo and played around with his mic?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=086UG7E3
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: What is that sound in "Ann"?   Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:43 pm

How could ANYONE get bored of that solo though? It could have been Cale deciding to do something "experimental" with the feedback though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is that sound in "Ann"?   Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:29 am

Iggy can. He's the chairman of the bored Very Happy
But personally I don't get bored with it, but I annoy the people
I live with with that guitar part
Back to top Go down
sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: What is that sound in "Ann"?   Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:55 am

i still believe w/ little doubt that its fuzz/feedback. ive heard some really weird "unintentional" sounds come out of guitar amps.

this of course, does NOT mean that i think im definately right.
Back to top Go down
bpiekut

PostSubject: Re: What is that sound in "Ann"?   Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:33 am

Thanks again for your replies everyone, and thanks to OUTBURST for posting the stripped audio. I'm not convinced that this sound is feedback - it's still too white noisy. And there is, of course, a big difference between fuzz and feedback. It doesn't seem plausible to me that they would record a third guitar track, mixed dead center, just to add this strange, little sound five minutes in (and, as I wrote before, I seriously doubt that this sound was unintentionally created while one of the other two guitar tracks was being recorded). Anyway, I guess that's what makes this a mystery......
Back to top Go down
larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What is that sound in "Ann"?   Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:39 pm

My curiosity finally got the better of me and I've gone back and listened to this. I don't know, for sure, what it is but I will pose this question/possible solution. Immediately after that sound shows up does Ron's lead guitar track not suddenly have more "depth" to it? As though there has been reverb (likely) or echo (less likely) added? I think the sound may be a reverb unit kicking in. I'm not going to go and find the thread that tells me what amp Ron was using for this session but my guess is that it came with a reverb channel that could be activated via foot pedal. Normally a reverb unit wouldn't be heard kicking in on a record but remember that they were playing at very high volumes. If I had to bet on what this sound is I'd go with this hypothesis.
Back to top Go down
bpiekut

PostSubject: Re: What is that sound in "Ann"?   Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:35 pm

Dear all,

I just realized that I forgot to update this conversation several months ago. Iggy tells me the following about that moment in Ann: “The noise on the end bit of ‘Ann’ is I believe the motor of the air compressor I used in the studio. For some reason I think I remember that the studio system could not accept the direct volume of air from the nozzle, so when I tried to record at an angle, the mic instead picked up the clacking sound of the compressor motor.”

Thought you'd all like to know.

Thanks again for your help - and please look out for the chapter on the Stooges in my book, Experimentalism Otherwise: The New York Avant-Garde and its Limits (University of California Press, 2011), out early next year.

Ben Piekut
Back to top Go down
mark

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: What is that sound in "Ann"?   Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:26 pm

Wow. Shocked
Back to top Go down
KarlR

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: What is that sound in "Ann"?   Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:37 am

I must have tin ears. I can't hear it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is that sound in "Ann"?   

Back to top Go down

What is that sound in "Ann"?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1