Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
andrew



Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:13 pm

trailerborn wrote:
krugersoldier I hear ya, but if you're talking about the Columbia 'Rubber Legs' version, maybe Iggy just misspoke? That sure looks like Thurston in background-right of this photo, taken during the Columbia rehearsals.

Although the 'Rubber Legs' material is often labelled as from the Columbia rehearsals, at least some (and I suspect all) of it actually appears to come from the 'Detroit Rehearsals' with Bob Sheff dated around February - March '73. I think the first time I saw the 'Rubber Legs' stuff labelled as from the CBS rehearsals was either on the 'Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell' CD or Bomp's 'Open Up And Bleed' (can't remember which came out first.) Either way I reckon it was probably a wrong guess on someone's part.

Andrew
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

avatar

Number of posts : 528
Location : Atlanta
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:19 pm

andrew wrote:
trailerborn wrote:
krugersoldier I hear ya, but if you're talking about the Columbia 'Rubber Legs' version, maybe Iggy just misspoke? That sure looks like Thurston in background-right of this photo, taken during the Columbia rehearsals.

Although the 'Rubber Legs' material is often labelled as from the Columbia rehearsals, at least some (and I suspect all) of it actually appears to come from the 'Detroit Rehearsals' with Bob Sheff dated around February - March '73. I think the first time I saw the 'Rubber Legs' stuff labelled as from the CBS rehearsals was either on the 'Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell' CD or Bomp's 'Open Up And Bleed' (can't remember which came out first.) Either way I reckon it was probably a wrong guess on someone's part.

Andrew

So, is this the same case with the Heavy Liquid box set?
Back to top Go down
andrew



Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:53 pm

ElRoi wrote:
So, is this the same case with the Heavy Liquid box set?

Yes. The tracks in question are tracks 1 to 7 on disc 4. Of these, 'Rubber Legs', 'Johanna', and 'Open Up and Bleed' actally appear to come from a 'Detroit Rehearsals' tape possibly dated February 20 1973. You can find more discussion of this in this thread:-

http://stoogesforum.freeforumboard.net/jesus-loves-the-stooges-f1/revenge-and-bomp-releases-which-ones-are-still-needed-t1332.htm

and also in this thread:-

http://stoogesforum.freeforumboard.net/jesus-loves-the-stooges-f1/anyone-even-notice-this-t1483.htm

Although James says in the interview that he thought he wrote 'Cock In My Pocket' later, there is a version on the 'Detroit Rehearsals' tape dated March 11/19 '73. (This is the verson on HL Disc 3, track 5.) I think these March dates may well be correct as I think last time I listened to that tape I thought it sounded quite contemporary to the Morgan Sound Studios rehearsal tape on HL Disc 2, which I think we can be fairly confident was from March '73. I'd have to listen to it again to be sure though.

Andrew
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

avatar

Number of posts : 528
Location : Atlanta
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:04 pm

andrew wrote:
ElRoi wrote:
So, is this the same case with the Heavy Liquid box set?

Yes. The tracks in question are tracks 1 to 7 on disc 4. Of these, 'Rubber Legs', 'Johanna', and 'Open Up and Bleed' actally appear to come from a 'Detroit Rehearsals' tape possibly dated February 20 1973. You can find more discussion of this in this thread:-

http://stoogesforum.freeforumboard.net/jesus-loves-the-stooges-f1/revenge-and-bomp-releases-which-ones-are-still-needed-t1332.htm

and also in this thread:-

http://stoogesforum.freeforumboard.net/jesus-loves-the-stooges-f1/anyone-even-notice-this-t1483.htm

Although James says in the interview that he thought he wrote 'Cock In My Pocket' later, there is a version on the 'Detroit Rehearsals' tape dated March 11/19 '73. (This is the verson on HL Disc 3, track 5.) I think these March dates may well be correct as I think last time I listened to that tape I thought it sounded quite contemporary to the Morgan Sound Studios rehearsal tape on HL Disc 2, which I think we can be fairly confident was from March '73. I'd have to listen to it again to be sure though.

Andrew

It appears that maybe Easy Action should have did a little more research before they issued the HL box set, huh? Is there any possibility you could please use your obviously extensive Stooges knowledge to post a correct, chronologically ordered track listing of the material on the HL box set? If anyone else has input, please do speak up. I would really like to rearrange my tracks into the correct order. I'm just anal that way.
Back to top Go down
andrew



Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:26 pm

ElRoi wrote:
It appears that maybe Easy Action should have did a little more research before they issued the HL box set, huh? Is there any possibility you could please use your obviously extensive Stooges knowledge to post a correct, chronologically ordered track listing of the material on the HL box set? If anyone else has input, please do speak up. I would really like to rearrange my tracks into the correct order. I'm just anal that way.

Well we attempted to do that as much as we could in the first of the threads I mentioned and Mark from this forum put much of the information on a wikipedia page:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stooges_%27Detroit_Rehearsal%27_tapes

There are gaps in the information though. Not all of the 'Detroit Rehearsals' tapes appear to circulate and I don't have all of those that do. Someone else here might be able to fill in some of the gaps in our knowledge though?

Andrew
Back to top Go down
pernil



Number of posts : 171
Location : Sweden
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:40 pm

I think "Cock In My Pocket" was written late 1972/early 1973, while living in the Hollywood Hills house. Iggy has talked about that.

I noted that JW referred to "You Don't Want My Name.." as one of the very first songs he wrote. I wonder if someone could ask about his input to "Fresh Rag" and the other 1971 songs. Which did they do already in late 1970? "I Got A Right" has been attributed to Iggy as a solo composition (even James has said so).

Per
Back to top Go down
jpod

avatar

Number of posts : 182
Location : Belfast
Registration date : 2007-09-11

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:58 pm

studioguy wrote:
james matlock wrote:
is that "shake appeal" from the new reissue? Watt mentions that it was a remaster that JW had given him.

If you listen to the very end, I think he plays Death Trip and says the same thing about a re-master,



That remastered (bowie) mix of shake appeal pisses all over Iggy's!
BRILLIANT!! no distorted vocals and even the drum fills are clearer.
I have 70's raw power vinyl but I cant wait for the remastered issue in April.

ps. didnt anyone ever tell JW not to talk with his mouth full. LOL
rabbit
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

avatar

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:35 pm

ElRoi wrote:
trailerborn wrote:
That would be the Cheatham/Asheton (gtr) + Zettner (bass) lineup that played Uganos in autumn '70.

Is this written about anywhere and are there recordings of this line-up?

Cheatham interview re: Dave Alexander on Paul Trynka's website:
http://www.trynka.net/Site/Open_Up_Blog/918A786F-2332-4B7B-8FE2-9579BDB95BAF.html

Lots of other good stuff on the site also.
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

avatar

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:38 pm

saichan wrote:
trailerborn wrote:
I wonder if these remasters will be part of the big Raw Power reissue next year? It seems to be getting the deluxe treatment.

Nice to hear JW's side of things for a change. He was always glaringly absent from most of the bios and articles. Relevatory stuff and I loved Watt's muso questions.

I'd love a follow-up someday that got more into the '73/74 LA period: shopping tapes to Eno & Elton...


Eno? Really? That's interesting. Can you tell me more?

Just something I read in an old Iggy interview. Among the people approached were Elton/Rocket, John Cale and Brian Eno. Wishful thinking on Iggy's part, perhaps, as all three were pretty busy in '75.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
avatar

Number of posts : 668
Location : Stoogeland
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:29 am

Sorry all, we have confirmed that the Unganos shows were the 4 peice band. Billy Cheatham was considered a band member at that time but he did not play at Unganos.
The band coonsisted of Iggy, Ron, Scott and Zeke.
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

avatar

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:04 pm

But... the Uganos photo's clearly show both Cheatham and Zettner up there on stage. Cheatham is shown standing next to Ron in one pic holding a gtr and looking a bit wistful.
Were there two different sets of Uganos dates post-Dave in late 70?
Were the Zeke/Cheatham photos from another gig?

Also, I thought that the Rubber Legs stuff was from Detroit, early '73 (based on the 'Bob' mention), but allowed myself to be dissuaded by the Heavy Liquid box. It certainly does sound contempraneous to the Scott Morgan studio stuff. Paging Stooges CSI...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   

Back to top Go down
 
James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Eddie James anybody?
» Rebecca St. James
» Digital Dubs (Brazil) Ls Rootz Hi-Fi (Chile) : May 27th, 2009
» Mike Roe-Safe as Milk
» Mike Mangini

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: