raw power reissue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
boogie

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:57 pm

The only recording that sounds like Raw Power(to my ears) is WL/WH by the Velvet Underground.The remastered version(i think late 90's) was a great improvement from the first CD version while still retaining that lo fi charm so i hope the same for the upcoming RP.
Back to top Go down
THEWIN

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:18 pm

Mine has been ordered too!!!!
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:55 pm

OT- boogie, I still have my original, long-sleeved shirt with your wild thing/leopard head graphics on it, from the original glam era (a hint to how superannuated I am.)
Back to top Go down
boogie

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:57 am

Perdu wrote:
OT- boogie, I still have my original, long-sleeved shirt with your wild thing/leopard head graphics on it, from the original glam era (a hint to how superannuated I am.)

Greatest rnr shirt ever! cheers
Back to top Go down
Perdu

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:29 am

One positive, boogie-- I can still wear it (barely!) and did so to the premiere of "The Runaways" movie since I knew it was vintage to the era! flower
Back to top Go down
Lucas

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:15 pm

http://blogcritics.org/music/article/the-rockologist-iggy-ziggy-and-the/
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:05 pm

It's a damn good reissue. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. You don't like it. Don't buy it. Simple as that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:08 pm

TeddyB1018 wrote:
Whatever the above discussion, the new reissue is a remaster of the Bowie mix, not a remix. When one listens to the Legacy version, Ron's bass is more powerful and defined but the vocals and guitar screeches still jump out, as is characteristic of the Bowie mix. It's likely that the original mastering cut for the 1973 vinyl had to reduce the bass, as was often true for vinyl LP's. The original CD of the Bowie mix probably did not come from the master tapes. What this adds up to is that the new Legacy CD is the best sounding version of the "creative" Bowie mix that has been released. It retains the unusual in-your-face vocals and lead guitar while still managing to have a stronger rhythm section than heard on the original LP. For me, it's the best version of the album I've heard, and I've been listening to it for 37 years.

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
Lucas

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:10 pm

I wouldn't know if I like it, I haven't heard it yet
Back to top Go down
soldier

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2007-06-17

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:17 pm

this one ??
http://www.deezer.com/fr/music/iggy-the-stooges/raw-power-legacy-edition-522991#music/iggy-the-stooges/raw-power-legacy-edition-522991
Back to top Go down
seventeen

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:04 pm

Are deezer samples from the final product ? The bowie mix sounds like the old cd.

Last edited by seventeen on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.seventeenrecords.com
boogie

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:15 am

Just bought some bowie mix songs trough IBS,it's not immediate like a "loudness war remaster" but that's the beauty of it.
It's vinyl clear quality,a subtle difference.Maybe could take few listens to appreciate.
I really like Doojiman,the sound is in your face and natural so if someday the guys will remix RP please make it Dooji style!!!

Freaking Out
Back to top Go down
sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:01 am

Bowie's mix > Iggy's.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:22 am

StoogesMySpaceAdmin wrote:
It's a damn good reissue. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. You don't like it. Don't buy it. Simple as that.

I have to concur. From what I've heard, it's better than either version I have. Looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
stooges

Number of posts : 628
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:38 am

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=videos&search_query=stooges&search_sort=video_date_uploaded&suggested_categories=10%2C23&uni=3
Back to top Go down
johnthelawman

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:05 pm

I just got to hear the new RP remaster and must say it's quite good. Anyone without the Bowie mix on CD, get this one. The CD I liked previously was an old Austrian pressing which sounded better than the old US CD (and even has the burp and full fades), but I think the remaster out does it. Not by a mile or anything, but I feel it's an improvement and it's certainly better than the old US CD. I was bummed to see how the 3rd CD turned out, so I dropped the idea of getting the deluxe box, but I'm quite pleased with the 2CD set. One flaw (which I read about on here) is the "Head On" rehearsal does run noticeably fast. I'd guess by 2/3 of a half-step. Quality-wise it's pretty much the same as on Heavy Liquid box, with HL having maybe a slighlty better sound. Clearer at least.
Back to top Go down
boogie

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:19 pm

John i have that austrian pressing and yes it's not that bad.
I guess that's why the remaster sounds so similar......
Back to top Go down
StoogeFan

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-03-18

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:50 am

Got the legacy edition today and I feel bad that I was complaining about what it might sound like. I forget who posted it but I remember someone on here saying that the Bowie mix made more sense to them after hearing the re-master and I definitely agree. The drums and bass arenít much more audible (maybe in the future) but as a whole it seems a lot clearer to me. The vocals and guitar do sound much better in my opinion and since the mix is built around them it seems to make a difference. The live album is incredible. It blows any live Stooges bootleg Iíve heard out of the water. It will be great having a CD version that will sound good on something other than a cheap ass stereo. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Perdu

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:20 am

Anyone going to the Documentary screening in Hollywood? Some of us are afraid to show our faces and possibly be served writs from a certain fellow L.A. resident, Mainman honcho... Angry
Back to top Go down
freemind

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:54 am

Quote :
The drums and bass arenít much more audible

Agree still no bass and drums. The one two three four from shake appeal is not here, and no fuckin celeste on penetration.

And I still prefer hear "your pretty face", "raw power" and "death trip" on Iggy's mix more powerfull like it should sounds.
but I love the georgia peach and doojiman is great too !
Back to top Go down
MJG196

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:40 am

StoogeFan wrote:
Got the legacy edition today and I feel bad that I was complaining about what it might sound like. I forget who posted it but I remember someone on here saying that the Bowie mix made more sense to them after hearing the re-master and I definitely agree. The drums and bass arenít much more audible (maybe in the future) but as a whole it seems a lot clearer to me. The vocals and guitar do sound much better in my opinion and since the mix is built around them it seems to make a difference.

I listened to the remaster this morning at 3:00am in my dark bedroom, lying in bed with headphones on. Lemme tell ya, I don't think there is any comparison between my 1988 CBS disc and this one. This remaster did one helluva job. As I was lying there, I couldn't believe how clear everything sounded. Everything has more PRESENCE. A couple times you can even hear a hushed studio whisper in between the instruments. What made my eyes open in the 3am darkness, was the very faint "Oooh, Oooh" chorus during Raw Power! Yeah, those "Oooh's!" I am not sure if they were there before (of course they appear up-front in the WABX mixes), but I had never heard them. I have purchased A LOT of remastered albums, and this is an amazing job. How do you make something sound better without changing it? Like this.

I watched the documentary yesterday (which SOUNDS incredible), and although it is only about 40 minutes long, I am really happy with it. As mentioned above, Ron's bassline from Raw Power being played in the studio is nearly worth the price of admission! James and Scott added points of view we hadn't heard from them, which was nice. But what's the best was seeing Iggy start to tear up. He understands this music is finally being paid the respect it always deserved. I thought they could have added a few bonus features to the DVD, like a song-by-song analysis by The Stooges, maybe more video segments, photo gallery, etc.

The 7" is great. I am happy it was pressed on a heavy vinyl and it sounds pretty good on my stereo.

I haven't listened to the live disc or "bonus" disc yet...that will come later today and tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
mr.datsun

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:09 pm

StoogeFan wrote:
Got the legacy edition today and I feel bad that I was complaining about what it might sound like. I forget who posted it but I remember someone on here saying that the Bowie mix made more sense to them after hearing the re-master and I definitely agree

StoogeFan , i think that was me. But after a discussion with jpstooges, I've only just realised they put the bright-sounding almost bass-less single version of S&D on the CD. I think they should have used the original 1973 LP version. The remaster is great but I kinda of feel that using the bass-less version was a mistake.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:20 pm

mr.datsun wrote:
StoogeFan , i think that was me. But after a discussion with jpstooges, I've only just realised they put the bright-sounding almost bass-less single version of S&D on the CD. I think they should have used the original 1973 LP version. The remaster is great but I kinda of feel that using the bass-less version was a mistake.

Maybe it's my ears, but the bass seems pretty full to me. I was listening on my 1978 Kenwood KA-7100 amp, straight into my headphones with the tone selector OFF. Or, maybe it's my stereo?
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
Perdu

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:18 pm

I think a lot of these discussions really seem to vary with one's personal sound systems; i.e. I hear the celestes, and my high-end hearing is seriously impaired as befits my status as a lifelong rocknroll-gobbling geezer. I'm neither an audiophile or own a system befitting one, but I guess I listen for things I know "should" be there, and they are. What a great project this was for 2010!
Back to top Go down
runningfromthepain

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:44 pm

got raw power deluxe set yesterday and have listened to the first few songs of Georgia peaches,this is one hell of an amazing recording of a stooges gig! even with the problems with Williamsons guitar at the start of the show.Gimme danger has its usual effect on me i.e makes the hairs stand up on my neck with the sheer dark madness of the song. And check out the intro to Head on completely mental...

i then put the record away and decided as the other guys on this subject the whole event needs to be listened to in a dark room with a good pair of headphones, the idea of such a show being finally made available in this quality is mental and the actual recording is completely mental crazy stooges music!!

see you at Hammersmith !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   

Back to top Go down

raw power reissue
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next