Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 raw power reissue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Ethan

avatar

Number of posts : 22
Age : 44
Location : South korea (Australia two weeks)
Registration date : 2010-01-25

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:24 pm

Ted thanks for the site. However I have already checked it out. The reason I appear a little skeptical is that for years the bulk of Stooges boots are from hand held tape decks. A soundboard recording almost seems to good to be true. Still I will be treating myself to this bad boy when it comes out, and then spend the next month or two drunk while I listen to said bad boy.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
avatar

Number of posts : 404
Location : Heaven
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:39 pm

Ethan wrote:
Ted thanks for the site. However I have already checked it out. The reason I appear a little skeptical is that for years the bulk of Stooges boots are from hand held tape decks. A soundboard recording almost seems to good to be true. Still I will be treating myself to this bad boy when it comes out, and then spend the next month or two drunk while I listen to said bad boy.

Hey Ethan, it is real. Some guys in Georgia tracked the tape down, I had a brief correspondence with one of them last year.

There's an interview with Scott from 2008 where he says ...

"Just last week, this guy sent us a copy of a live show in Atlanta from the Raw Power period. Turns out it sounds pretty good. He had it digitally re-mastered and put Pro Tools to it and I think we’re going to buy and release it".

By the first RP press-release in 2009 that had become ...

"The second disc will feature a previously unreleased 1973 live show in Atlanta - never even available on the bootleg market - recently unearthed in Iggy's private tape stash."

By the latest RP press-release that has become ...

"After the Stooges reunion got underway in 2003, Ron Asheton made Matheu aware of a Richards cassette he had stored away. Matheu employed due diligence and his sleuthing led him to Joe Neil, the original recordist of ‘Sam’s Tape Truck’ parked outside Richards".

I have a funny feeling the next person to find an amazing Stooges tape might just keep it to themselves.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
avatar

Number of posts : 2310
Age : 24
Location : Scotland
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:12 am

I heard from a very reliable source that the documentary on the dvd will not be on "Raw Power" (though it will cover it) but mainly about Iggy's entire solo career. Apparently it will have some vintage live Iguanas footage which EA got out bidded for last year. Most of it is snippets but apparently there's a full performance of "Tell Me". Can't wait! cheers
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
avatar

Number of posts : 404
Location : Heaven
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:40 am

G, F#, E wrote:
I heard from a very reliable source that the documentary on the dvd will not be on "Raw Power" (though it will cover it) but mainly about Iggy's entire solo career. Apparently it will have some vintage live Iguanas footage which EA got out bidded for last year. Most of it is snippets but apparently there's a full performance of "Tell Me". Can't wait! cheers



I heard there was going to be a special "interactive" section, called "Remix in a day, the Iggy Pop way". Apparently, it's a CGI of a Boss distortion pedal with the dials turned all the way up, and you can listen to all your favourite songs through it! Which is obviously a real bonus for bands unlucky enough to have been around before the invention of digital effects. Can't wait to try it out!
Back to top Go down
mc

avatar

Number of posts : 1765
Location : Bristol
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:33 pm

trailerborn wrote:
I'm only slightly, marginally bummed that the Atlanta show doesn't include 'Wet My Bed'.
And the DVD evidently doesn't include any old footage - unless they're planning to include snippets of the Kral stuff. Didn't Iggy refer last year to footage that "came to us" ?

Still, between the Funhouse and Easy Action boxes, the last ten years have been way better for old-school Stooges fans than the preceding twenty where the only (non-live) release of note was 'Rubber Legs'.

I've never been a big fan of Wet My Bed or I Got Nothing, think it's something to do with Ron and James doing their dubious harmonies.
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan



Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:46 pm

mc wrote:
trailerborn wrote:
I'm only slightly, marginally bummed that the Atlanta show doesn't include 'Wet My Bed'.
And the DVD evidently doesn't include any old footage - unless they're planning to include snippets of the Kral stuff. Didn't Iggy refer last year to footage that "came to us" ?

Still, between the Funhouse and Easy Action boxes, the last ten years have been way better for old-school Stooges fans than the preceding twenty where the only (non-live) release of note was 'Rubber Legs'.

I've never been a big fan of Wet My Bed or I Got Nothing, think it's something to do with Ron and James doing their dubious harmonies.

Wet My Bed was not fully worked out in October of '73 (as I recall), but was included in the set later that year. One of my favourite Stooges tunes - Thurston with his 'bar-room' piano really sounds as though he is enjoying himself. Iggy has hinted that the Stooges may re-record it. I hope so.

The best version I have heard is on the Revenge CD 'Til The End of the Night'. The same version is on a Bomp CD but lesser quality. Anybody know of a better version?
Back to top Go down
Dark Horse 77



Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:43 pm

It'd be great if they re-recorded all the tunes that never made the fourth album.
Back to top Go down
Hectorlovesthestooges

avatar

Number of posts : 464
Age : 27
Location : Canary Islands (Spain)
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:44 pm

Dark Horse 77 wrote:
It'd be great if they re-recorded all the tunes that never made the fourth album.

Yeah...or the 1971 songs (fresh rag, big time bum...)
Back to top Go down
Dark Horse 77



Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:47 pm

Yeah I didn't even think of that, why not make it a double with all the songs.
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

avatar

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:57 pm



I like the Bimbo's version on California Bleeding.
But my fave is the 12/31 Academy show (on Double Danger or Night of the Iguana) where Iggy's slurred singing and the messed-up harmonies really heighten the accidental super-genius aspects of lines like "And then you punched me in the head / said it wouldn't do me no bad." Eat your hear out Leonard Cohen...
Back to top Go down
Tyronehell

avatar

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:19 am

The 2 Disc version is up for preorder on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Power-Legacy-Iggy-Stooges/dp/B00383ZTXO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1266358628&sr=1-10
Back to top Go down
mc

avatar

Number of posts : 1765
Location : Bristol
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:16 am

I like all those old tracks just as they are. Don't imagine the current Stooges could improve on them by re-recording, though I'd love them to attempt to recreate those instrumental tribal jams from 68.
Back to top Go down
larry fine

avatar

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:40 pm

It looks as though we'll have real, actual, non bootleg, quality versions of the 1973 set on the Atlanta CD in the Raw Power box. Why, then, would they rerecord those songs? I don't believe The Stooges (or anyone else) can relive their youth better than they did it the first time. Different? Sure. Better? I doubt it. They ought to spend their time writing quality songs (i.e. - better than the seemingly quickly tossed off tracks from The Weirdness) and record those. I can't believe that they could do those songs justice at this late point.

All that said - I'd love to be proven wrong. After all, I've already spent a small fortune on crappy versions of those songs. What's a little more?
Back to top Go down
jpod

avatar

Number of posts : 182
Location : Belfast
Registration date : 2007-09-11

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:36 pm

What version are the Raw Power songs that appear on the Million in Prizes comp then?

they don't seem as ' mad ' as the iggy remix.

this is all very confusing...
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan



Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:16 pm

larry fine wrote:
It looks as though we'll have real, actual, non bootleg, quality versions of the 1973 set on the Atlanta CD in the Raw Power box. Why, then, would they rerecord those songs? I don't believe The Stooges (or anyone else) can relive their youth better than they did it the first time. Different? Sure. Better? I doubt it. They ought to spend their time writing quality songs (i.e. - better than the seemingly quickly tossed off tracks from The Weirdness) and record those. I can't believe that they could do those songs justice at this late point.

All that said - I'd love to be proven wrong. After all, I've already spent a small fortune on crappy versions of those songs. What's a little more?

Personally I hope they re-record Wet My Bed simply because from the 1973-74 period it really is "the great lost Stooges song". Of the others in the set at the time, some were on the Raw Power album while Head On, Cock In My Pocket, Heavy Liquid, Rich Bitch and Open Up & Bleed were all available on Metallic KO or wherever (Open Up & Bleed admittedly being incomplete). The best quality version of Wet My Bed is the 'Latin Casino' version on the revenge CD 'Till The End Of The Night' (I mean sound quality, not necessarily how it is played). Therefore, unless someone can clean up the 'Latin Casino' version (or find a tape of this show closer to the master) then a re-recording is probably the best we'll get.

On the subject of Open Up & Bleed, I remember there was a bootleg 7" vinyl of this song (one of the Whiskey shows in '73) with the track split between the A & B sides. As I recall, this was considerably better quality than any of the 'official' Whiskey CD's released at the time. Has anyone got a copy of this in their collection? If so, they could do us all a favour by splicing the two halves of the song together to make one good quality track. I don't think this has been done before. All you sound engineers out there....over to you. Smile
Back to top Go down
Iguanas

avatar

Number of posts : 339
Age : 51
Location : Zagreb, Croatia
Registration date : 2007-07-30

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:53 pm

larry fine wrote:
It looks as though we'll have real, actual, non bootleg, quality versions of the 1973 set on the Atlanta CD in the Raw Power box. Why, then, would they rerecord those songs? I don't believe The Stooges (or anyone else) can relive their youth better than they did it the first time. Different? Sure. Better? I doubt it. They ought to spend their time writing quality songs (i.e. - better than the seemingly quickly tossed off tracks from The Weirdness) and record those. I can't believe that they could do those songs justice at this late point.

All that said - I'd love to be proven wrong. After all, I've already spent a small fortune on crappy versions of those songs. What's a little more?

I agree with Larry.

I really respect Mike Watts, but new versions of songs without Ron on bass could not be better. I think the better option is a good live album with old songs.
Back to top Go down
http://free-zg.t-com.hr/JesusLovesTheStooges/
trailerborn

avatar

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:08 am

I'm in general agreement that the old stuff should be left alone. Even Iggy admitted recently that he has a hard time connecting with the 'ignorant' youth that wrote/performed those songs.

That said, a live album of the old tunes is a great idea. Ron will always the Bass King, but that descending bass line Watt played on the live version of Gimmie Danger w/ Williamson is fucking killer and deserves to be recorded properly. Ditto the jazzy new ending to Johanna.
Back to top Go down
Perdu

avatar

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:47 am

'Heard the three discs (promo preview) today, with caveat that the rarities disc may have songs in different order. Doojiman is a jungle chant a la the scatting (non-lyrics) version of She Creatures, probably an encore; Peter and Hungry are strange insofar as they do not sound like a bridge from the 1971 lineup to Raw Power, more 1st line up-y.

You'll all love it to bits- the live disc is tremendous, once the early-on guitar sound problem is solved, the piano is mixed where it should be (like Stuart Whatsisname on a Stones release rather than percussive domination via audience taping) and (deep breath) the modern technology translation of Bowie's mix is great.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

avatar

Number of posts : 841
Location : Saint Paul, MN
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:49 am

Perdu wrote:
'Heard the three discs (promo preview) today, with caveat that the rarities disc may have songs in different order. Doojiman is a jungle chant a la the scatting (non-lyrics) version of She Creatures, probably an encore; Peter and Hungry are strange insofar as they do not sound like a bridge from the 1971 lineup to Raw Power, more 1st line up-y.

You'll all love it to bits- the live disc is tremendous, once the early-on guitar sound problem is solved, the piano is mixed where it should be (like Stuart Whatsisname on a Stones release rather than percussive domination via audience taping) and (deep breath) the modern technology translation of Bowie's mix is great.

Is this anywhere that we can hear it?
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
Radiobirdman73

avatar

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:37 pm

Perdu wrote:
'Heard the three discs (promo preview) today, with caveat that the rarities disc may have songs in different order. Doojiman is a jungle chant a la the scatting (non-lyrics) version of She Creatures, probably an encore; Peter and Hungry are strange insofar as they do not sound like a bridge from the 1971 lineup to Raw Power, more 1st line up-y.

You'll all love it to bits- the live disc is tremendous, once the early-on guitar sound problem is solved, the piano is mixed where it should be (like Stuart Whatsisname on a Stones release rather than percussive domination via audience taping) and (deep breath) the modern technology translation of Bowie's mix is great.

How is the sound quality of the rarities disc? Any better that Heavy Liquid? Notice any discernable differences in the latest version of "I Got A Right"?

How did you end up hearing this - radio promo?
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
avatar

Number of posts : 404
Location : Heaven
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:47 pm

Perdu wrote:
Doojiman is a jungle chant a la the scatting (non-lyrics) version of She Creatures, probably an encore

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by encore?, but Doojiman is clearly a studio recording. Also, at it's root, much more 1st line-up style than anything that ended up on RP.
Back to top Go down
Perdu

avatar

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm listening with the ears of an afficianado, not a musician or sound technician. As usual, I'm having a little trouble making out the live guitar, but that could be my hearing- I'm a Stoogean contemporary. Crazy I'll check back in when I heard them a few more times in my car, which has a better sound system than my home. I can say that those who decried lack of audibility of Iggy's vocals on past live Stooges releases won't have that concern here.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
avatar

Number of posts : 404
Location : Heaven
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Perdu wrote:
I can say that those who decried lack of audibility of Iggy's vocals on past live Stooges releases won't have that concern here.


He's turned up so loud in the mix on Doojiman you'd think he was yelling in your ear

lol!
Back to top Go down
Perdu

avatar

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:57 am

Okay, listened to the advance cd's in my car (better sound system than home.) Remember, non-musician/non-sound technician here. Rarities disc: I'm intrigued with the "Japanese 45's" mixes of RawP and Search&D: it is possible to hear the individual instruments a little more clearly without any noticable futzing of the overall sound or mixing them into unrecognizability. Wackily enough, the promo material says these will be on actual 45's rather than the cd compilation disc of rarities.

The new RawP disc does sound great indeed. Whatever they did, they did right: nice and screechy/trebly again. Because I'm weird, I'd now love to hear a "Japanese 45" mix of everything now! The live disc has some sort of fuzz/feedback for the first couple of songs interfering with guitar. Iggy only entertains with his "Butterfly McQueen" voice once. Open Up&B has the background vocal mike louder than the singer's, maybe they switched?
Back to top Go down
boogie

avatar

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:52 pm

The new RawP disc does sound great indeed. Whatever they did, they did right: nice and screechy/trebly again. Because I'm weird, I'd now love to hear a "Japanese 45" mix of everything now! The live disc has some sort of fuzz/feedback for the first couple of songs interfering with guitar. Iggy only entertains with his "Butterfly McQueen" voice once. Open Up&B has the background vocal mike louder than the singer's, maybe they switched?[/quote]

Great review,what about the alternate version of Death Trip?
I don't like the iggy remix but adding the end of the song was a nice touch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   

Back to top Go down
 
raw power reissue
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Similar topics
-
» GT Hi Power: 1985 (Earl 16, Beenie Man!)
» Paradox - Power And Glory review at Angelic Warlord
» Jack Ruby Hi Power: Greenwich Farm. 1984
» Power Metal meets "Lion King"
» General Hi Power v Gemini: Bronx, NYC. 1984

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: