View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MJG196

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:43 am

freemind wrote:
Sons of a bitch. 117 USD ! They could died. It's so commercial (fuck sony and the stooges for that price).

I know now what I'll do. I'll download that shit soon it appeared.

Sorry for my anger but I'm very disapointed, it's too much. I'm not a ritch bitch.

I hear ya, bro.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
citizensmurf

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:24 am

Don't pre-order this one. There will be copies around come release day, and I'm sure much more reasonable shipping. If you have aleady paid, then see if you can get your money back. I'm done with all this stupid pre-ordering, there is no panic. Save your money and earn some interest with it until it hits the stores (which it will, despite the whole 'only available from us' disclaimer). I'll be you anything it's delayed until May anyway.
Back to top Go down
harmonia

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:57 am

Totally agree with you CS dont get fooled into parting with your money early. Those delivery cost outside US suck. Shame it had to be SONY who put this together and not some more worthy music loving company like Rhino (if they still exist)
Back to top Go down
Lucas

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:27 am

You might try this site: http://www.borderlinx.com/m/

You can become member and they'll provide you with an US adrs to where the goods are sent. From there they'll send it to you. I don't know if that's cheaper, but they have a cost calculater, with which you can calculate.
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:28 pm

Don't feel bad about the shipping overseas. I live in a Canadian border-city & got hammered with a FORTY dollar shipping fee. Will the fucking space shuttle be delivering these things?

Last edited by trailerborn on Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:57 pm

Guys, I don't know how many of you read my earlier post (or took any notice of it), but I am stunned to see Sony and The Stooges being blamed for the high cost of shipping. To make it clear: Shipping charges from the United States are determined by the US Postal Service (USPS). It would not matter if this set was being released by Sony or Rhino or Bomp or whoever. Shipping charges would be identical unless the company chose to subsidise them out of potential profits. Seeing that $10 has already been knocked off the price of each set in this case, it hardly seems fair to expect subsidised shipping also.

Anyone wishing to take the chance that Amazon or whoever will sell copies at a later date is free to do so. But remember that whichever company sells them will need to add their own mark-up for a sale profit, so unless they negotiate a very favourable bulk-buy rate from Sony I doubt there will much difference in the final sale price. And this still leaves the matter of shipping charges....

Seriously guys, I can understand your frustration over this but neither Sony or The Stooges are responsible. Don't blame them.
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:09 pm

My company recieves mail from the US frequently. These charges seem hugely inordinate to me. A package of comparable size/weight/value from the US shouldn't cost more than $20. I know that the internet is killing snail-mail (and the post office has to rely increasingly on junk-mail to keep afloat), but I smell some excessive Ticketmaster-like discretionary hidden fees in there somewhere. Not blaming the Stooges...
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:10 pm

StoogesFan wrote:
Guys, I don't know how many of you read my earlier post (or took any notice of it), but I am stunned to see Sony and The Stooges being blamed for the high cost of shipping. To make it clear: Shipping charges from the United States are determined by the US Postal Service (USPS). It would not matter if this set was being released by Sony or Rhino or Bomp or whoever. Shipping charges would be identical unless the company chose to subsidise them out of potential profits. Seeing that $10 has already been knocked off the price of each set in this case, it hardly seems fair to expect subsidised shipping also.

Anyone wishing to take the chance that Amazon or whoever will sell copies at a later date is free to do so. But remember that whichever company sells them will need to add their own mark-up for a sale profit, so unless they negotiate a very favourable bulk-buy rate from Sony I doubt there will much difference in the final sale price. And this still leaves the matter of shipping charges....

Seriously guys, I can understand your frustration over this but neither Sony or The Stooges are responsible. Don't blame them.

Exactly. It's a box set and thus, it probably has a little bit of weight to it.
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:44 pm

I've ordered stuff from the US before but the delivery costs of this particular package seem exceptionally high. Of course I don't know the exact weight of the box, but still...
Back to top Go down
harmonia

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:49 pm

StoogesFan, I can't claim to be expert regarding US mail costs and I not blaming the Stooges for these seemingly excessive costs. What I am advising people to do is WAIT until Amazon et al get there supply of this item. I can't say what price this box set will end up being in the UK when amazon.co.uk sell it but they will not charge for postage if you choose a non next day service and I strongly suspect the overall cost will be cheaper than SONY are trying to market it for. This $10 off is just a ploy to get the maximum money upfront and they should know better considering the state the industry is in. Lets not kid ourselves there will be alot of people reading this thinking 'fuck it' buy the more basic legacy cd and download the goodies over bit torrent'.

Edit:- The other aspect to this is of course many of will have bought this record many times over already. I own the vinyl edition of Raw Power, the Bowie mix on CD and 1997 Iggy Mix. So please SONY people please price this reasonably when you sell it through the retail channel
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:59 pm

DAMN!!! Sorry you guys across the pond are getting fucked like that. I ordered mine and the shipping is only $5 USD.
Maybe I'm a sucker for pre-ordering it- but every time the Stooges put out something worthwhile I can't help myself. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
jerrythebarman

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:47 pm

Well, on the downside, I'm with everyone who feels those international rates are ridiculous. Yes, the USPS sets the rates but there is no way those shipping charges are an accurate reflection of those rates. I work at Canada Post, coding and loading parcels all the live long day (handled one yesterday going from Randy Bachman to Neil Young, containing a reel-to-reel tape, so I memorized Neil's address and wrote it down later, but I digress) and while I can obviously only estimate the weight of the R.P. box , I would hazard a guess that shipping to Canada should be, oh, $20-25 absolute tops, especially if shipping within the U.S. is, what was it, $5.95 ? I remember being taken aback by the shipping cost for the Funhouse box set 10 years ago, which was $25-30, and looking at the actual postage on the parcel when it arrived: $12. Kinda similar to a lot of U.S. ebay sellers' practices which seem to say, "Okay, I'll grudgingly ship outside the U.S. but you'll pay through the nose for it". Oh, and one other beef: another $14 for VAT/Duties ? Since when do you charge a customer who is outside your country for that ? That's what the customs/border crew do, and may very well do additionally on this parcel.

On the bright side, I think $60 as base price for the box is pretty good, so when I did the check out on the pre-order page , before reneging, and it came to $113 total I figured that's what I'd expect to pay for a box set in a store around here anyway. So...I'll probably go ahead and pre-order in the next few days 'cos I'm pathetic and need to have it as soon as possible. Still, those international shipping rates are bogus and it ain't the fault of the U.S. Postal Service. I'd say blame for that lays squarely at the feet of SONY.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"

Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:05 pm

jerrythebarman wrote:
Oh, and one other beef: another $14 for VAT/Duties ? Since when do you charge a customer who is outside your country for that ? That's what the customs/border crew do, and may very well do additionally on this parcel.

My thoughts exactly, Jerry.

I've had a lot of high-value packages mailed to me from the US over the years and, if the person who sent one accurately listed the value on the customs sticker, I got hit for stupidly high Import/V.A.T charges every time. So at least some people in the UK, and probably elsewhere too, should look forward to paying those charges again before they can get their package.

If I understand other posts on here correctly they haven't even finalized the dvd content yet, let alone manufactured them. Wait for it to be available from somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
Cato

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:29 pm

Shipping cost $ 53.16 is a bit too much. I Just ordered some guitar spare parts from the US. Delivered in Norway it cost me $ 35 the package was pretty light– but who knows, the may be some led this Stooges package.

Anyway, Amazone UK charge £ 32.99 for The You Don’t Want My Name You Want May Action CD set and £ 8.99 for Extended Play.

Easy Action charge £ 29.99 and £ 9:99 – so it may be smart to wait

But I am glad I got my copy of the Funhouse Session Box before it was to late.

Sony & The Stooges; A Good band name? :-)

Cato
Back to top Go down
citizensmurf

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:32 am

jerrythebarman wrote:
I work at Canada Post, coding and loading parcels all the live long day (handled one yesterday going from Randy Bachman to Neil Young, containing a reel-to-reel tape, so I memorized Neil's address and wrote it down later, but I digress)

Randy Bachman sent a reel-to-reel tape to Neil Young via Canada Post???
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:15 am

jerrythebarman wrote:
one other beef: another $14 for VAT/Duties ? Since when do you charge a customer who is outside your country for that ? That's what the customs/border crew do, and may very well do additionally on this parcel.

Jerry,

You raise an interesting point about VAT/Duties. I am now wondering if Sony will be using a courier company instead of USPS to despatch these box sets. As I mentioned before, I work in a Mailroom and regularly send stuff to the US. When using a courier company to send non-document items there is an option for the sender to pay all relevant duties instead of the receiver. This option is known as DDP (Delivery Duty Paid). This may also explain the higher shipping costs. Using a courier company would make sense for such high-priced goods, as the packages would be more secure resulting in virtually no claims for non-delivery. They should also be delivered more quickly.

One more thing: If all relevant duties have been paid by the sender there is no way that Customs & Excise can levy these charges a second time, so there are no worries on that score at least.
Back to top Go down
mc

Number of posts : 1759
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:48 am

If they could box it and get it in one of those USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes which can take up to 4 pounds and is 12-1/2'' x 9-1/2'' it would only cost $13.45 worldwide.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:00 am

StoogesFan wrote:
One more thing: If all relevant duties have been paid by the sender there is no way that Customs & Excise can levy these charges a second time, so there are no worries on that score at least.

I think you're taking a lot for granted there, especially as you currently have no way of knowing how they intend to ship. I, as the purchaser/receiver, would be the person importing the package contents into the UK, so I would therefore be liable to pay any VAT/Import tax on it's contents, not the company I purchased it from. Until the method of shipping is clarified, with specific reference to the VAT/Import question, being hit for it twice remains possible.
Back to top Go down
jerrythebarman

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:48 am

Citizensmurf said:

Randy Bachman sent a reel-to-reel tape to Neil Young via Canada Post ?

The customs declaration contents read: Reel-to-Reel tape, belt buckle, card. Bachman lives on Salt Spring Island and all their mail comes through the plant here in Victoria. Perhaps the reel-to-reel was blank and hence not that important ? Dunno. It was sent Express, for what it's worth.

Last edited by jerrythebarman on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:23 am

Petrie Terrace wrote:
StoogesFan wrote:

I think you're taking a lot for granted there, especially as you currently have no way of knowing how they intend to ship. I, as the purchaser/receiver, would be the person importing the package contents into the UK, so I would therefore be liable to pay any VAT/Import tax on it's contents, not the company I purchased it from. Until the method of shipping is clarified, with specific reference to the VAT/Import question, being hit for it twice remains possible.

Petrie,

If the DDP option is being used by the shipper, we (purchaser / receiver) pay relevant duties to the shipper and these will be be paid to Customs & Excise on our behalf. If Sony are asking for a VAT payment this would seem the obvious answer as VAT is not a US tax but a European one. If there is deemed to be a discrepancy between the amount due and the amount paid, only then will we be asked to pay the difference. Otherwise we will not be charged a second time. As I understand it this would actually be illegal.

Of course, it is entirely possible that a different set of duties apply to the UK which DDP does not cover. But even if this is the case, it still does not mean we are being charged twice for the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:00 pm

StoogesFan, I stand corrected. Had a chat with someone who used to work using international courier services a lot. Pre-pay VAT being an available option. So, if they are shipping that way, it makes sense. That only leaves the possibility of Import tax, unless that is covered in some too?, which I don't know.

My apologies.
Back to top Go down
dynamite boogie

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:06 am

sony used ups to deliver the recent ac/dc box set. they also charged import tax / vat in advance. maybe they will do the same for the raw power box. http://www.acdcbacktracks.com/cart
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/redelektra69
TeddyB1018

Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:35 am

andrew wrote:
When I tried to order it some sort of error occurred and it now isn't clear to me whether my order was successful or not. I've contacted Customer Services, but has anyone who ordered it got a confirmation email? I didn't get one.

Thanks,

Andrew

I had the same problem, contacted the Sony E-mail and they've since corrected it. Stay on them.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:16 pm

We know the postage charge for the box so we have a choice. I imagine the box is of similar weight to the Heavy Liquid one, add a 7" single to that and it weights 340g add 160g for cardboard packing and its 500g. For me to send an airmail parcel to the US of that weight it would cost £6.51. My guess is it will not be available from amazon at any time but who knows.

Last edited by gazatthebop on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Joecephus

Registration date : 2009-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:24 pm

is it limited to the website or will it be on amazon.com?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD   

Back to top Go down

Raw Power Pre-orders / 59.99USD
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next