View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loose1969
Free & Freaky

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: I gotta ask...   Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:51 pm

When did YOU get hooked?

I've never been a fan of punk, and although I knew about these guys (and of course, Iggy) I never got into the music until a few months ago.

Now I can't leave my Stooges cd's the fuck alone. Laughing

At my age I should have started a collection a LONG time ago. Shame on me. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy

Number of posts : 3441
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:20 pm

Yeh, ano theyre infectious. I have a good story, i was in HMV, a record store, and i had ten pounds in my pocket and i was walkin around bored and saw the CD Penetration: Best of the Demo's and Rehearsals and i'd heard, of course, of Iggy - as you said - and wanted to see what it was all about, i just thought sure i'll see. I think it was fate, in the same month Mojo printed an interview with Iggy, and also out was A Million In Prizes: The Anthology so the gods were conspiring to show me these things. I bought it and instantly loved it, it was jst different, obviously they were rock 'n' roll, i could see that, but there was this edge to it, that you can sense on the Stones' Exile On Main St. CD. I had to buy the anthology, and i did, Guitar Rock magazine, or one of those things said it was a good anthology for new-comers, but not much but 2 unheard tracks from 1993 at Ireland's Felie Festival - another omen, as i am from Ireland. And so i purchased it and liked it, the first CD more, obviously, as it was The Stooges, Funhouse, Raw Power, I Got a Right, Kill City, The Idiot and Lust For Life. The second while some was good, was harder to get into, the lower aspects of Iggy's solo career, which now of course i like having bought the albums. After this i bought The Stooges and Funhouse (of which, in a car ride listenin to it my dad said it was like a cat wailing; which was L.A. Blues).

Since then i've seen them live in Montreux last year. Where my dad, who went with me, and has seen nearly 30 huge bands like deep purple etc [who we also saw at montreux and his favourite band] with me, said that The Stooges was the best concert he's EVER been at! - what a turn around.

So it's been short of 3 years, about 65 CDs and the best concert of my life since i bought an Iggy Pop and The Stooges CD out of impulse with no idea if it was good or bad.

And people say impulse shopping is a bad thing.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:57 pm

I bought Fun House without hearing one lick from it. And there it started.

Why, you ask? I got sent a recording of Ian Astbury (ducks rotten tomatoes) with The Fuzztones covering Down On The Street. Love that song. Then I got a copy of Guitar World with an extensive Stooges spread in it. Got mighty intrigued after reading Ron's interview. So I bought the double disc of Fun House. Then the debut. Then The Weirdness. Then Telluric Chaos. Then the Live In Detroit DVD. And lastly(for now) Raw Power.

I'm hooked.
Back to top Go down
Stoogemeister

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2007-06-27

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:45 am

I'd never heard The Stooges, but went looking for them after I kept reading about Punk bands I was into being influenced by them.

That was just before CD's completely took over from LP's, and at the time it was near impossible to find Stooges albums in record shops. I eventually came across 'No Fun', in the Iggy Pop section of one place. It was a compilation featuring the best tracks from 'The Stooges' and 'Fun House'. In comparison to the Punk stuff in my collection it seemed a bit tame...but it was "ok".

Eventually I managed to order a copy of 'Raw Power'....which took about 2 months to arrive..... but at the time that one completely failed to live up to my expectations. I was thinking it would be a ferocious wall-of-noise experience, but it was just annoying to listen to because of the freaky Bowie mix, which buried the power of the music. It wasn't until the CD remix in the mid-1990's that I really got into that album.

So, The Stooges have been a part of my personal soundtrack for quite a few years, but in the wake of their recent reactivation they've taken on a new musical importance for me.

Last edited by on Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:57 am

Stoogemeister, sounds like you came from the other end of the spectrum. I was more based in straight-forward rock (not the "classic rock" shit spread all over the radio, deeper stuff than that). I've always dug high engery stuff though, and the Stooges rock harder than just about anyone and still appeal to all sides.
I'm glad as hell to see the band back together. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Stoogemeister

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2007-06-27

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:10 am

Yeah, it's funny because some of the stuff (not just The Stooges) I didn't really like back then because it wasn't "noisy" enough, I really like now....and because of the dynamic of the music I actually find it more powerful now than some of the noisy stuff I was listening to back then....if you see what I mean!
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:21 am

I know exactly what you mean. It isn't so much the volume itself as it is the power and dynamics you get out of that volume.

All musicians need to remember that in order to be effective IMHO.

That's what I keep telling my fuckin' slacker bandmates too. Laughing
Back to top Go down
EmmaUK

Number of posts : 360
Registration date : 2007-07-13

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:01 am

hey,
I'd heard stuff about The Stooges and heard Lust For Life and a few others, Went into record store liked the look of *A Million In Prizes: The Anthology*.
So I bought it.

That was only a few months ago, but i am completely hooked, not a day goes by without me listening to the stooges.

Seeing them in August.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:31 am

the first time i ever seen iggy was on TV at the west 54th street sessions with host john hiatt, it was in 2000, it was fucking cool, his body was so ripped, he moved and slipped around so fine, i was only 8 or so, but damn, thats when i knew this guy was awesome, so my dad who was a big fan back in the day here in detroit who seen him ashit load, in the funhouse-raw poer era, pulled out some old LP's and played them for me, i lived them...
the next year i saw them in detroit(state theatre 2001) im seeing them with my dad again here in august in michigan, i saw them in april in michigan, got the setlist of the show Smile pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
deadtrilogy

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2007-07-02

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:51 pm

I first heard about the Stooges in a interview with one of my favorite guitarists two years ago, I was 13 years old. So I decided to check them out, I listened to some of the stuff from "Raw Power" and "the Stooges". I wasn't hooked right away, but I found them pretty good, and I got their first selftitled for christmas. After that I bought "Fun House" and I got hooked. Eventually I bought "Raw Power" and some of the other rehearsal stuff etc, and so I became a small fan of them.
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:57 pm

I was a solo Iggy Pop fan back in the 80s when I was in high school...I basically just went and checked out his older stuff, which happenes to be the Stooges!

My first Stooges album was 'Raw Power.' It went from there...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 pm

Got into Iggy via Bowie.
I was a huge Bowie fan, still am actually, and quite early on in my Bowie collecting got hold of The Idiot and Lust For Life. Loved both of them to bit and started to look into this Iggy character's other stuff. Went first for Raw Power (due to the Bowie mix connection) and loved that even more than The Idiot, so I went out and bought Metallic KO. That was an eye opening album... then I worked backwards via Fun House to the debut Stooges album, then ALL the other Iggy stuff.
Most of which I love.
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
middleagedpunkrocker

Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:47 pm

There was a rag out around 1977 called PUNK I believe. i bought it because i was hooked on Lou Reed Live and Rock - Roll animal and I read somewhere back then that Lou was the Godfather of Punk. There was an article in there about Iggy so I went out and as a young bored 16yr old I bought Raw Power. Took it home and cranked it up and about shit myself. I believe it was Raw Power before Funhouse...... Anyway, To this day, Loose is my favorite Stooges song but I think the most influential to Rock - n- Roll Was Search and Destroy.
Back to top Go down
http://trampsamericanbulldogs.com
middleagedpunkrocker

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:07 pm

Shit! i forgot..... The first Stooges recording I ever bought was "sick of you" on a 45 vinyl. The LP's came after that.....Still about shit myself the first time I heard the Stooges though and have been hooked ever since. Were talking 30 yrs. and I have bought Funhouse, The first Stooges, and Raw Power on Vinyl, cassette, and disc.....
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:31 am

I got hooked on Rock & Roll Animal too when it came out. Little did I know that there was something even greater out there at the time.

I had heard Sick Of You on the radio back in the day but had no idea who it was. Captured it on my 8-track recorder though! Laughing

Last edited by on Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
iggy-fan
I Got A Right

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:33 am

I think mine is a classic Iggy introduction. My bigrother have NY Dolls First and Raw Power. I listened on them just because the covers were cool.
Back to top Go down
http://goto.glocalnet.net/iggy-fanpage/
Loose1969
Free & Freaky

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:10 am

iggy-fan wrote:
I think mine is a classic Iggy introduction. My bigrother have NY Dolls First and Raw Power. I listened on them just because the covers were cool.

Nuthin' wrong with that. Wink
Back to top Go down
middleagedpunkrocker

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:37 pm

I can't remember exactly what was on the "B" side of that Sick Of You 45 but I think it was the Stooges doing Johanna (SP).

There was a lot of Punk on 45's back then and that was cool because you could get a sample of the band before forkingout the bucks for the LP.
Back to top Go down
middleagedpunkrocker

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:49 pm

O.K., Bear with me now....It was 30yrs. ago and many fried brain cells ago but for historical purposes I think I have it right this time.

It was the "I Gotta Right" 45 and the "B" side was "Sick Of You".

Sorry about that.......
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:10 pm

you mean i gotta right/ simmie some skin ? thats what it was im pretty sure.
Back to top Go down
middleagedpunkrocker

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:16 pm

Your probably right. Like I said it was 30yrs. ago but I did have the Sick Of You 45 as my first Stooges recording.....
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:18 pm

Yeah Smile you could look it up...
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:27 pm

In a nutshell I listened to the Stooges (and the MC5 and Dolls) after the UK music press said that all the punk stuff I was listening to was influenced by them. It didn't take long to get hooked, this would have been in about '77 but I didn't get to see Iggy until '79 on the New Values tour.
Back to top Go down
Rode Hard
Rich Bitch

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:32 pm

That Raw Power LP hooked me. And I ain't sayin' what year--it's all too depressing.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:49 pm

I wouldn't worry about the age. Bet I'm at least as old. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I gotta ask...   

Back to top Go down