Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 First album new edition on Rhino Handmade

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Garageman

avatar

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:49 am

Garageman wrote:
I placed my order. $12 shipping is not bad, and I do prefer this album to Raw Power, but of course I've already ordered the Deluxe-version of that too...

I meant the Legacy-version, of course. I shouldn't write anything asleep.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

avatar

Number of posts : 415
Age : 58
Location : uk
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:03 am

Rhino are just taking advantage of the fans.[/quote]

not if you believe that the extra tracks were not available ("found") until after the 2005 2x CD remaster. I would hate to know these tracks existed and Rhino had made the decision not to release them. Yes they are expensive but the record industry is in crisis so i'm just glad i can get my hands on a copy...owning a 7" of "Asthma Attack" is pretty cool whatever the cost
Back to top Go down
gasman124



Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-09-01

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:15 pm

Is it my ears or to the cale mixes sound a lot better on these short samples?
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:13 pm

I'm not sure... it sounds like the tape is running rather slow, and there's a slight amount of hiss. Bit annoying really, they could have cleaned that up very easily.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

avatar

Number of posts : 415
Age : 58
Location : uk
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:30 pm

maybe the hiss is just a result of low quality streaming
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:32 pm

It ain't there on the non-Cale tracks.
Back to top Go down
napalm_cheetah

avatar

Number of posts : 546
Age : 28
Location : Sweden
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:40 pm

mark wrote:
I'm not sure... it sounds like the tape is running rather slow
yeah, you're right. The cale mix sounds slower on these samples than the cale tracks thats on the deluxe edition.
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:43 pm

Rule 1 for record labels working on Stooges reissues: No matter how much work is being done on the release, make sure you fuck it up somehow, ideally in a really elementary way.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

avatar

Number of posts : 415
Age : 58
Location : uk
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:08 pm

I have contacted Cale's office in LA to make him aware of this issue, he really cares about that album so if the release date is delayed.....
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:30 pm

gazatthebop wrote:
he really cares about that album
Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chris Moise



Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-05-26

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:57 am

gazatthebop wrote:
I have contacted Cale's office in LA to make him aware of this issue, he really cares about that album so if the release date is delayed.....

Did it occur to you that the Cale mixes on the 2005 reissue, the ones sourced from a cassette, might be the one with the tracks at the wrong speed?
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

avatar

Number of posts : 415
Age : 58
Location : uk
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:19 am

The timings are different on the Cale mixes on three of the tracks from the 2005 version.

1969 was (2:45) new version-->2:57
i wanna be your dog was (3:26) new version---> 3:42
little doll was (2:49) new version-->3:05
no fun remains the same @ 4:42

as long as they are released i dont care what speed they play at, i can alter that myself! No reply from Cale, he's in Poland
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Chris Moise wrote:
Did it occur to you that the Cale mixes on the 2005 reissue, the ones sourced from a cassette, might be the one with the tracks at the wrong speed?
The 2005 ones run slightly fast I think. The new ones run slow.

Seriously, where does this stuff get mastered? The Fuck-Up Factory?
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
avatar

Number of posts : 404
Location : Heaven
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:13 pm

Mark - stop moaning.
Back to top Go down
mark



Number of posts : 221
Location : Beatin' my brains with Luther Vandross
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:48 pm

I saw that one coming!
Back to top Go down
Garageman

avatar

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:35 pm

I used to like Rhino in the old days. Crying or Very sad

Now I'm starting to regret ordering this.
Back to top Go down
neven



Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:58 pm

promos for the cale mixes of the deluxe version of the first album also sounded too slow,but this was fixed with the stock copies
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

avatar

Number of posts : 143
Location : London England UK
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:56 am

Chris Moise wrote:
gazatthebop wrote:
I have contacted Cale's office in LA to make him aware of this issue, he really cares about that album so if the release date is delayed.....

Did it occur to you that the Cale mixes on the 2005 reissue, the ones sourced from a cassette, might be the one with the tracks at the wrong speed?

Earlier in this thread someone suggested that the 2005 Cale mixes were sourced from cassette. Your statement 'the ones sourced from a cassette' sounds like more than hearsay. I never heard this before. Could you verify your sources, please? I'd really like to know if this is fact or in the realm of supposition?
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

avatar

Number of posts : 143
Location : London England UK
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:58 am

gazatthebop wrote:
The timings are different on the Cale mixes on three of the tracks from the 2005 version.

1969 was (2:45) new version-->2:57
i wanna be your dog was (3:26) new version---> 3:42
little doll was (2:49) new version-->3:05
no fun remains the same @ 4:42

as long as they are released i dont care what speed they play at, i can alter that myself! No reply from Cale, he's in Poland

Different track timings is no indication of speed differences in itself. Could be different track lengths (fade outs) or a mistake in track timings.
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

avatar

Number of posts : 143
Location : London England UK
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: regarding Cale mix sound quality opinions   Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:06 am

The Rhino samples of the new CD set are streaming 128kbps mp3. I don't see that such shoddy source material is anything to base sound quality judgements on, with regards speed differences and tape sources. Personally, I'd rather wait until I hear it before casting stones about and the such.
Back to top Go down
andrew



Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:46 pm

Was wondering if anyone had contacted Rhino themselves about the apparent speed issue on the Cale stuff?
Back to top Go down
Chris Moise



Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-05-26

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:00 pm

mr.datsun wrote:

Earlier in this thread someone suggested that the 2005 Cale mixes were sourced from cassette. Your statement 'the ones sourced from a cassette' sounds like more than hearsay. I never heard this before. Could you verify your sources, please? I'd really like to know if this is fact or in the realm of supposition?

I'm positive I read they were sourced from cassettes Danny Fields had "in a storage locker" but I don't remember where I read that.
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

avatar

Number of posts : 143
Location : London England UK
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Chris Moise wrote:
mr.datsun wrote:

Earlier in this thread someone suggested that the 2005 Cale mixes were sourced from cassette. Your statement 'the ones sourced from a cassette' sounds like more than hearsay. I never heard this before. Could you verify your sources, please? I'd really like to know if this is fact or in the realm of supposition?

I'm positive I read they were sourced from cassettes Danny Fields had "in a storage locker" but I don't remember where I read that.

Thanks for the info. I kind of half-realised that they weren't as good as the released lp mixes but was surprised to hear that could have come from cassette. They sounded too good for that. However the rumour is that the new set is from better tapes discovered after the double Cd was issued. Let's hope that this is the case and is the real reason for this second effort at the 1st LP material release. I think in these cases record companies should be up front about such details as recording provenance. Being transparent about the process can only improve things in the minds of their customers.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

avatar

Number of posts : 415
Age : 58
Location : uk
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:31 pm

didn't hunter s thompson once point out that "the music business is a cruel and shallow money trench"
Back to top Go down
Garageman

avatar

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:42 pm

I would've expected them to release the Cale-mixes as a limited, numbered "alternative album" or something like that coupled with whatever outtakes they now have. Why include the original album, which everyone already must own, at least if they're going to buy this?

I'd rather have preferred a box like the "Complete Fun House Sessions".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   

Back to top Go down
 
First album new edition on Rhino Handmade
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next
 Similar topics
-
» First album new edition on Rhino Handmade
» Rhino gutted
» Reviews for "The Stooges - Collector's Edition"??
» BEST SCANDAL Album (Limited Edition with the photobooklet)
» Handmade first album shipped...sort of

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: