The music INDUSTRY will always find a way to rip you off

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: The music INDUSTRY will always find a way to rip you off   Mon May 17, 2010 8:58 pm

I think the next move is including digital copies of the original multitracks for the fans to mix and trade. Records will continue to sell if the audience feels they have a vested interest in the artists and the material.

I like the sound of this unheard78
Back to top Go down
unheard78

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-05-15

PostSubject: Re: The music INDUSTRY will always find a way to rip you off   Mon May 17, 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks TED! I honestly believe people would pay for things like this rather than just rip them off the net. If they were lossless files they'd be rather large and I know I'd pay for a DVD with the entire album unmixed. On top of that, they should leave in bits from the sessions like chatter and such. Maybe even include outtakes like that, as fans will always speculate how something would have sounded if it were mixed at the time of it's creation as opposed to decades later. The best part of it, to me at least, is that would it increase the communal aspect of the music, allowing people to either pay tribute to their favorite artists and records or add their own flourishes to things they already love.

The only thing that I'd love to see happen which I don't think could would be the allowance by the label for the fans to trade their own mixes as long as there is no profit involved. Something tells me the labels would be furious about this, but again, if someone loves the product they may feel so inclined to make their own mixdown or edit. It's working for Trent Reznor, Ben Folds and a lot of other artists. I wouldn't be surprised if Iggy & the Stooges would be alright with an idea like this, but I'm sure the label would have major issues.
Back to top Go down
http://unheard78.blogspot.com
seventeen

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: The music INDUSTRY will always find a way to rip you off   Tue May 18, 2010 12:50 am

The problem is not download. The problem is when the Raw Power set don't use a good mix of RP or when the reissue of the st LP uses slow tapes. There's the very reason why people download. Crappy releases.

Bruce Dickinson get paid big bucks not to put on CD the alternate Search & Destroy Embassy mix, or the better sounding Embassy tapes. Some guy on a blog post a cassette rip that sounds better than the big bucks reissue.

There is the EXACT PROBLEM with the industry. The wrong guys are in charge. And punters don't care anymore. At least with a live band, they know they get the real deal, not some reissue supervisor who lines up his pocket doing nothing.

You wanna solve the industry crisis ? Put in charge some guys who knows how to do a good product that will appeal to the audience.
Back to top Go down
http://www.seventeenrecords.com
unheard78

PostSubject: Re: The music INDUSTRY will always find a way to rip you off   Tue May 18, 2010 3:01 am

You're right 17, make no mistake!

Personally, I think the majors should reach outside themselves more often when it comes to reissues. I know they'd probably balk at the idea of paying someone outside of their circle to get involved but a good product, especially when talking about a reissue, often benefits from people closer to the fan base than those who work purely for the label's intentions. I was saying to ashitanoramen that I own several of the Miles Davis metal spine boxsets that Sony/Legacy have issued and as nice as they are, their titles are misleading, there is a lot of material missing that should have been included and they often used new remixes when the already existant mixes were perfectly suitable and available. All these things said, there is a ton of unreleased material on those sets and the remixes are very nicely done, but people who love the music were quick to complain about the same issues I just did, and on top of that $100 or more is a lot to throw down for a box set that isn't 100% what it claims to be.

It really doesn't matter how many awards a label gets for it's product, if the buyers aren't happy then it's all irrelevant.

By the way, off the topic for a moment, ashitanoramen, what exactly does your screen name mean? Should it be broken into three words like "ashita no ramen" or something along those lines? Tomorrow's Ramen?
Back to top Go down
Smokocaster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-04-28

PostSubject: Re: The music INDUSTRY will always find a way to rip you off   Tue May 18, 2010 6:09 am

I love the idea of multitracks being available for remixing by fans. Great idea, unheard78! Decent mixing software is readily available, so we can all get a chance at remixing Raw Power. Within the limits of the lousy tracking, anyway.

The industry is run by accountants, not fans. There was a time when fans owned decent record labels, like Elektra, Sire, Atlantic, Stax. By late 70s, those labels were being swallowed up, the fans' labels were the likes of Bomp, Sub Pop (leaving aside Creation, Factory, etc, the English music scene runs on a different voltage) and, post-Nirvana, that independent scene was swallowed. It's a standard process in art, the avant-garde will always be eaten, chewed up and spat out by the financially dominant.

The internet gives us power, it gives us options. Talking to a mate lately, his latest album comes with a code so the buyer can download live tracks. That's marketing, that's value for money.

How many times is Jimmy Page gonna remix and remaster Led Zep? Holy shit, Jim, it sounded great first time around (for engineering, the music is another, more personal thing).

As much as we might wish they would, unheard78, the majors won't reach outside of themselves today. Imagine the 2010 equivalent of Lenny Kaye getting Elektra to release a double album of 'Nuggets'? I don't see it happening, cos we're a far more educated bunch of fans, we've been swapping live cassettes for years and now we email mp3s around.

Now, how can we get that multitrack release happening? I'd LOVE to remix 'Back In The USA'.
Back to top Go down
unheard78

PostSubject: Re: The music INDUSTRY will always find a way to rip you off   Tue May 18, 2010 6:35 am

Don't get me wrong Smokocaster, I totally agree with you. The labels don't listen to fans these days, but I do think that may eventually change if fans fight for what they want. I think there needs to be a push for additional options for fans of the music. This isn't to say that we need multitracks for EVERYTHING, there are a lot of records that fans may never want touched. For instance, I think the Steely Dan catalog (yeah I know, I mentioned Steely Dan on a forum for Stooges fans! I'm a heretic!) sounds pretty damn wonderful as it is, mostly due to the fact that the people involved had pretty heavy studio tans, although it would be nice to hear certain elements of the tracks that have been buried in the mix.

Anyway, as for records like Raw Power or Back In The USA (man, that one definitely lost it's punch somewhere along the way), when there is as much public conjecture as to the finished product, it would be wonderful for the fans to have the opportunity to alter the finished product. Maybe there needs to be a petition online. I'd have to look into starting one but it can't be too difficult to do it. Who is with me?

I think this is probably deserving of it's own topic, but we need to discuss specifics and what we want as well as what we don't and what we'd be willing to pay. This would probably be a niche market and we might have to pay more than a usual CD or DVD release, but how much more? $50 for one or two data DVDs with 24 Bit, 96 khz, lossless transfers of the original unmixed masters in their complete states, possibly with additional tracks from the sessions that were released as b-sides or on later compilations, how about that? What else guys?
Back to top Go down
ashitanoramen

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: The music INDUSTRY will always find a way to rip you off   Tue May 18, 2010 3:35 pm

unheard78 wrote:

By the way, off the topic for a moment, ashitanoramen, what exactly does your screen name mean? Should it be broken into three words like "ashita no ramen" or something along those lines? Tomorrow's Ramen?

Yeah, you're right unheard78.As you can imagine I'm not a dog, that's my dog Ramen in a funhouse pose for the avatar. I really enjoy the ramen food!!! Dog
Back to top Go down
jaredlange911

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: The music INDUSTRY will always find a way to rip you off   Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:26 pm

yes, i wish more reissues with bonus tracks would do more research on existing bootlegs and give us stuff NO ONE has.
Back to top Go down
stooges

Number of posts : 628
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: The music INDUSTRY will always find a way to rip you off   Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:40 pm

ashitanoramen wrote:
unheard78 wrote:

Yeah, you're right unheard78.As you can imagine I'm not a dog, that's my dog Ramen in a funhouse pose for the avatar. I really enjoy the ramen food!!! Dog

lovely dog ... I want his Love
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The music INDUSTRY will always find a way to rip you off   

Back to top Go down

The music INDUSTRY will always find a way to rip you off
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2