Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
stooges

Number of posts : 628
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Thu May 13, 2010 5:36 pm

inspirated for TV eye

Back to top Go down
boogie

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Thu May 13, 2010 9:05 pm

You wanna play Gimme Danger?Play I'm 18 by Alice Cooper.Believe it or not,it works.
I think is good enough for Penetration too(the song..).JW is all about economy,is a manager after all!
Back to top Go down
gary

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri May 14, 2010 1:50 am

Byrds - Tribal Gathering (1969)
Yusuf Lateef - a track off his 'Detroit' album (Dog)
Buddhist? chant (We Will Fall)

These are mentioned in Paul Trynka's book along with incidental descriptions of what Iggy was listening to, eg Sun Ra's @Atlantis' album.
Ron Asheton said in an interview he liked the Byrds, British Invasion (esp the Who), and Hendrix.
Yardbirds - Happenings Ten Years Time Ago (Sick of You) - just listen to the riff....

It always struck me how open minded the Stooges seemed to be regarding their taste in music at the time, everything from free jazz to Harry Partch to James Brown.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri May 14, 2010 2:28 am

Pharoah Sanders "Tuhid" was often mentioned, especially the track "Upper and Lower Egypt"
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"

Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri May 14, 2010 3:15 am

"Little Doll" drum pattern from "We Love You" by The Rolling Stones, starts at 2.20 and from then on all the way to the end.

"Johanna" riff is identical to one in "Lady Of The North" by Gene Clark, though I've no idea who heard who, or if they're both taken from a third "unknown" song. But it is identical.
Back to top Go down
birchy

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-04-12

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri May 14, 2010 1:19 pm

Chuck Berry's You Can't Catch Me, and Bo Diddley's I'm Bad.
Feel Alright and 1969.
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri May 14, 2010 1:37 pm

I had never heard of inspiration from Bo Diddley to 1969 thanks
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Number of posts : 2608
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri May 14, 2010 1:40 pm

[quote="gary"]
It always struck me how open minded the Stooges seemed to be regarding their taste in music at the time, everything from free jazz to Harry Partch to James Brown.[/quote]

yes, indeed. All the better for it.
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri May 14, 2010 3:21 pm

I believe Iggy dedicated 'Funhouse' to James Brown recently.
Here's why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqWBDiGX5_E
Back to top Go down
boogie

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri May 14, 2010 4:11 pm

And what about that Steve Cropper lick on Lucky Monkeys?
From Soul Man by Sam and Dave.
Back to top Go down
rubber legs

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-03-20

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri May 14, 2010 4:18 pm

From the horse's mouth (via the Mojo Stooges Jukebox CD):

01. the trashmen - surfin bird
02. little richard - tutti frutti
03. jerry lee lewis - breathless
04. eddie cochran - cotton picker
05. the fabulous wailers - tall cool one
06. dennis coffey - scorpio
07. link wray - rumble
08. howlin wolf - moanin at midnight
09. junior kimbrough and the soul blues boys - crawling king snake
10. john lee hooker - drug store woman
11. bo diddley - say man
12. the mothers of invention - help, i'm a rock
13. the last poets - run nigger
14. cannibal and the headhunters - land of 1000 dances
15. mc5 - looking at you
Back to top Go down
anton

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-05-10

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri May 14, 2010 7:50 pm

trailerborn wrote:
I believe Iggy dedicated 'Funhouse' to James Brown recently.
Here's why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqWBDiGX5_E

Exactly, Trailerborn! Give the drummer some. Stooges' 2nd LP tastes like sugarfree funk.
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri May 14, 2010 7:58 pm

do not know the song where someone BASS line of DIRT? only what I can remember so it was a black musician and the album was 50 or 60 years

and what it's called the Rolling Stones song is there to hear the riff to search and destroy
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Number of posts : 2608
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri May 14, 2010 8:00 pm

[quote="stooges"]do not know the song where someone BASS line of DIRT? only what I can remember so it was a black musician and the album was 50 or 60 years?

[/quote]

Albert King, 'Born under a Bad Sign'. Similar, anyway.
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri May 14, 2010 8:16 pm

that's not it ... BASS rhythm of dirt there was enough to hear ... maybe it was not the bass but it had the same rhythm of Dirt
Back to top Go down
gary

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat May 15, 2010 1:24 am

cock in my pocket - has a Jerry Lee Lewis/rockabiilly feel to it - any guesses...?
Iggy's also mentioned Littlle Richard re 'Shake Appeal'.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat May 15, 2010 1:35 am

"Cock In My Pocket" is very much like a Little Richard/Jerry Lee piano riff swapped over to guitar.
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat May 15, 2010 8:48 am

what name the song is the inspiration to shake appeal, cock?
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat May 15, 2010 1:32 pm

Guitar riff for "1969", plays it first at 0.50 then keeps playing till the end from 1.30 onwards. The rest is boring hippie nonsense.

Bassline for "Dirt"

Not sure what version would have inspired them, possibly the Cream or Hendrix versions but Iggy was a big blues fan.
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat May 15, 2010 1:41 pm

Back to top Go down
gary

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat May 15, 2010 1:51 pm

That guy's Howlin' wolf on the avatar, I think .

Iggy said in an interview re singing shake appeal, he 'did his best little richard' on it, or something similar, but not a specific song, I think he meant more a style. I could definitely hear the georgia peach singing that one!
Cock in my pocket - again more a general feel - if you took the guitar away from the mix, I reckon this song would sound like a mid-tempo rockabilly number. Actually Wet My Bed has a similar song structure.

Incidentaly, can anyone recall a bluesy cover of 'Cock'? Maybe I just dreamt that one...
Lyrically, 'I Got Nothin' (live) nicks Jim Morrison's 'one bag of silver, one bag of gold' line from the Doors' 'Who Scared You'

birchy wrote:
Chuck Berry's You Can't Catch Me, and Bo Diddley's I'm Bad.
Feel Alright and 1969.

Wow! I never realised the Chuck Berry one before, it's so close to 1970. It was the song that gave the line 'here come ol' flat top' to Lennon's 'Come Together'. but that as they say is a different story...

Albumswise, I always thought the influences were:
1st album - garage/mod sound (eg Troggs/Who/MC5), Doors, Hendrix, Velvets (via Cale)
Funhouse - as above, plus James Brown & free jazz. I seem to remember Ron saying something about John sinclair getting the Stooges listening to Coltrane etc.
Raw Power - harder to pin down as easily, partly on account of Williamson's frenzied, angular guitar style. It's almost like taking all the dirtiest bits of the rolling stones 1965-1969, distilled it & used it as the base for this album. The mix too I think gives the album a specific quality, which is part of its appeal ( imagine deliberately mixing an album 'badly' - how punk can ya get? Wink
It's good fun playing 'spot the influence' with songs - it shows how eclectic musicians (all musicians) can be.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat May 15, 2010 7:53 pm

stooges wrote:
and what it's called the Rolling Stones song is there to hear the riff to search and destroy

Don't think there's a specific Stones song that pre-dates S&D, but "Jumpin' Jack Flash" would be worth a listen for RP era Stooges in general.

Always found the verse and bridge from this one made me think of "Raw Power", it's only the chorus that throws it. Or maybe it's a different Stooges song? I can't quite put my finger on it. Any takers?

Back to top Go down
gary

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat May 15, 2010 8:06 pm

-the chords at the start of 'Jumping Jack Flash' sound a bit like the start of search & destroy.
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat May 15, 2010 8:10 pm

agree!!!
Back to top Go down
gary

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Mon May 17, 2010 12:52 pm

Checked out the Yusef Lateef/Wanna Be Your Dog 'connection', quite an interesting article here:

http://www.annarbor.com/entertainment/after-40-years-the-stooges-still-strikes-a-chord/

Just finished listening to the track 'Eastern Market', and while I don't doubt Scott Morgan's word I'm struggling to here 'that' riff in the song (G, F#,E - hi Rory)

My memory's a bit hazy, but I'm sure I read loooong ago that Hendrix's 'Highway Chile' intro was an inspiration for 'Dog', tho that might've been the journalist's own theory.
Continuing the Hendrix theme, anyone else hear the similarity between 'Can You See Me' and 'Not Right'?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   

Back to top Go down

songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next