Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
G, F#, E
Real O Mind

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Mon May 17, 2010 1:58 pm

gary wrote:
Checked out the Yusef Lateef/Wanna Be Your Dog 'connection', quite an interesting article here:

http://www.annarbor.com/entertainment/after-40-years-the-stooges-still-strikes-a-chord/

Just finished listening to the track 'Eastern Market', and while I don't doubt Scott Morgan's word I'm struggling to here 'that' riff in the song (G, F#,E - hi Rory)

My memory's a bit hazy, but I'm sure I read loooong ago that Hendrix's 'Highway Chile' intro was an inspiration for 'Dog', tho that might've been the journalist's own theory.
Continuing the Hendrix theme, anyone else hear the similarity between 'Can You See Me' and 'Not Right'?

Riff for what song? I'm sure I read an article about "I Wanna Be Your Dog" and Iggy said something along the lines of "It's 'Highway Chile' with the licks taken out". Good spot on "Can You See Me" and "Not Right".
Back to top Go down
gary

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Mon May 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Oh, Dog/Highway Chile & Not Right/Can YOu See Me. Most would probly agree the 1st album is very Hendrixy - no bad thing IMO.

Also I can't help thinking about the Kinks' influence on loads of stuff in the 60s & after - the whole distorted staccato-bar chord guitar playin' thing seems to have started with them. Many rock guitarists were still quite twangy/picked in their style, y'know?
Back to top Go down
gary

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Mon May 17, 2010 2:09 pm

Sorry Rory Just saw the omission - Yusuf Lateef 'Eastern Market' (from his 'Detroit') album, had the riff (supposedly) for Dog. Paul Trykna mentions this (pg.100 & appendix), & Scott Morgan mentions the same in the aritcle which I linked.
Back to top Go down
stooges

Number of posts : 627
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Wed May 19, 2010 8:51 pm

I recently heard RIFF ki Need Somebody have some video? ... I forgot the band
Back to top Go down
boogie

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Thu May 20, 2010 9:54 pm

Open up and bleed is taken from gimme shelter by the stones,especially the latest live versions.

"Yeaaah,tell me lies....."

"You never stole from that Rolling guuuys...."

just kiddin...
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

Number of posts : 407
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri May 21, 2010 9:41 pm

This ones a stretch, but I remember an old Iggy interview where he claimed lyrical inspiration for 'The Passenger' from an old Del Shannon tune -I forget the title, but it was about travelling by car.

I doubt this is the tune, but the absolutely whompin' drums (you should hear the vinyl) wouldn't sound out of place on Lust for Life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNrxwcVvf_E&feature=related

Someone should start a new thread: Songs other bands have stolen from the Stooges. I'm looking at you Jet.
Back to top Go down
gary

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat May 22, 2010 1:09 am

[quote="trailerborn"]This ones a stretch, but I remember an old Iggy interview where he claimed lyrical inspiration for 'The Passenger' from an old Del Shannon tune -I forget the title, but it was about travelling by car.

Some of 'The Passenger's lyrics are from a Jim Morrison poem - he had 2 books published back in the day 'The Lords' and 'The New Creatures'; can't remember the name of the poem I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Mon May 24, 2010 9:07 pm

you have someone to original RIFF hey pete? I think is RS but i do not know name song from RS
Back to top Go down
gary

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Fresh Rag is supposedly based on a Joe Tex song; any ideas what song?
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"

Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Mon May 24, 2010 11:41 pm

I don't know about the tune for "Hey Peter", but the lyrics are based on a Mothers Of Invention song called "Flower Punk", see lyrics here
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri May 28, 2010 5:13 pm

Here is a song from 1972 .... I found online says it's the inspiration for Joy Division song Interzone...but it is possible that this is the inspiration for the Stooges

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYzcWY8Cj0o&feature=related
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Mon May 31, 2010 3:04 pm

probably the inspiration for the OPEN UP AND BLEED fast part....skip to 4:50

Back to top Go down
boogie

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Mon May 31, 2010 3:33 pm

Hey Open up and bleed!

Back to top Go down
gary

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Mon May 31, 2010 4:05 pm

-The verse of 'You don't Want My Name' sounds a lot like the chorus of 'Fire' by Hendrix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U88KuWxayLg (18 secs in).

Or 'Cool Jerk' by the Capitols

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfFQQ01KbFk
Back to top Go down
Nandayo

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:50 am

I'd say Jimi Hendrix influenced a lot of the guitar sound and solos in the stooges' songs

and perhaps helter skelter since was one of the first real heavy, raunchy songs
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:38 pm

I GOT NOTHING INSPIRATION

http://www.get-music.net/mp3-586992/bob-dylan-knocking-on-heavens-door.html

better version
Back to top Go down
boogie

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:17 pm

That s good for first album....

Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:19 am

I have one question ... what is year written RIFF (not the song) to the Smoke on the Water .... is inspirated LOOSE?
Back to top Go down
MJG196

Number of posts : 720
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:30 am

stooges wrote:
I have one question ... what is year written RIFF (not the song) to the Smoke on the Water .... is inspirated LOOSE?

1972 and No. I actually just saw the Classic Albums show about Machine Head, and not one word was mentioned by any band member, engineer, or critic about The Stooges.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:52 am

thanks...so smoke on the water is inspiration loose Very Happy
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:14 am

i found today..inspiration for ANN!!
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:43 pm

"Play With Fire" (Stones) + "Happening 10 Yrs. Time Ago" (Yardbirds) = "I'm Sick Of You" which I think is superior to both.
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:03 am

I found it accidentally maybe it's the inspiration for Gimme Danger.... nless I'm wrong please correct me ..
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:53 pm

I don't care if it was influential or not, it's nice to hear this old Terry Reid rocker again! thanks.
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:09 pm

I would say it had an impact on the Stooges the beginning sounds like the acoustic part of the Gimme Danger...otherwise on YouTube was mentioned that solo zi Want to Be Your Dog sounds like CREAM ...If you know the song (cream), so pls post here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   

Back to top Go down

songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next