Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Garageman

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:15 pm

This one perhaps?

Back to top Go down
Nadja

Number of posts : 2608
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:44 pm

[quote="Perdu"]"Play With Fire" (Stones) + "Happening 10 Yrs. Time Ago" (Yardbirds) = "I'm Sick Of You" which I think is superior to both.[/quote]

I thought of 'Play with Fire' first time I heard 'Sick of You', I was pretty impressed by both, I slightly prefer 'Play with Fire' though.
Back to top Go down
Mighty High

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-11-10

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:59 pm

"Cock In My Pocket" is heavily influenced by a rockabilly song by Jimmy Lloyd called "Rocket In My Pocket."
Back to top Go down
http://mightyhigh.net
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy

Number of posts : 3441
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:57 pm

Mighty High wrote:
"Cock In My Pocket" is heavily influenced by a rockabilly song by Jimmy Lloyd called "Rocket In My Pocket."

thats a cool song, lyrics are stolen/parodied/made more explicit, but i'd love to know where james got the inspiration for the guitar riff, cock in my pocket has a great riff, its like a ferocious beach boys

incidentally, in looking these up again, i noticed james williamson with the careless hearts is up on spotify

HJW
Back to top Go down
stooges

Number of posts : 628
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:44 pm

gimme some skin lyrics
Back to top Go down
napalm_cheetah

Number of posts : 546
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:57 pm

this obviously
Back to top Go down
ChuckN

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:58 am

You got it, NC! Actually there is some truth in it, if you look deep enough. Love the story concerning the last days of Larry Fine, when Ron visited him on the hospital and gave him scotch, cigars and company, not forgetting dignity for his last days. Think Ron kind of... if not was inspired directly, at least had a lots of respect for the 3 other stooges. Sorry for the rambeling, off topic.. Do anybody by the way have a link to that story? Think I saw it somewhere on the forum... made me kind of sentimental when I read it last. Smile

To get partly back on track... Yardbirds with mr. Beck as influence for Raw Power period..Lot's of fuzz, and hard melodic riffs & nice little "licks".. Doors for much of the first album... Fun House is like nothing I've heard before.... just brilliant..
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:15 am

influenced the doors have any other songs besides the Stooges head on, Ann?
Back to top Go down
ChuckN

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:24 am

"We will fall".. even though it's a more stoned and desperate jam than "The end".
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:28 pm

Here's one courtesy of Iggy himself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbqr8slBtqk
Back to top Go down
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:04 pm

This thread makes it seem like the Stooges never had an original musical idea in their head, just mixed and matched pieces of other songs together to create new ones...Obviously there are a few here and there that were inspired by older bands but I don't think it was more prevalent than other bands then or now.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy

Number of posts : 3441
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:28 pm

sweet_sixteen wrote:
This thread makes it seem like the Stooges never had an original musical idea in their head, just mixed and matched pieces of other songs together to create new ones...Obviously there are a few here and there that were inspired by older bands but I don't think it was more prevalent than other bands then or now.

I dont think anyones out to say the stooges are unoriginal, but its fun looking for the source of their originality - which the stooges had in abundance

unlike looking for the roots of other bands like zeppelin who didnt even bother changed arrangements / chords / lyrics / melody etc,

thats what i find especially interesting about this thread, because there are some influences you just cant imagine how they ended up inspiring the songs these guys produced but they did

and besides that, no one is genuinely original, especially in music, that i think takes real genius-like creativity and intellect

in saying that however, i still think the stooges are one of the most original sounds and bands in music, and actually if anything were the last original sound made or needed

Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:37 pm

Stooges are original! Ron riff influenced many musicians, in debut, Fun House, Raw Power do not even have one cover song...
Back to top Go down
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:35 am

stooges wrote:
Stooges are original! Ron riff influenced many musicians, in debut, Fun House, Raw Power do not even have one cover song...

Louie, Louie...
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:00 pm

sweet_sixteen wrote:
stooges wrote:

Louie, Louie...

Louie Louie is not on the debut (the Stooges), Fun House or Raw Power

just existing line of demo recordings and live show of Metallic KO
Back to top Go down
Nervousnorvus

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:10 pm

"what name the man on the avatar?"

I assume you know who it is, if not, it's Howlin' Wolf.
One tune that surely influenced the Stooges is Ronnie Hawkins 1960 version of Who Do You Love which was a big hit on CKLW out of Windsor, Ontario and seems to be the basis for the version on You Want My Action, the solo also sounds a lot like Search & Destroy (the solo is played by Robbie Robertson, then aged 16).

The Riff to Little Doll can be found on Pharoah Saunders LP Tuahid, on the track Upper & Lower Egypt, just as Henry Grimes finishes his bass solo he plays the riff twice. I asked Ron about it years ago and he replied-- "You busted me"!.
Back to top Go down
http://thehoundblog.blogspot.com/
PineappleExpress
Pumpin' for Jill

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:00 am

Scene of the Crime was inspired by Deep Purple's Maybe I'm A Leo
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:30 am

Nervousnorvus wrote:
"what name the man on the avatar?"

I assume you know who it is, if not, it's Howlin' Wolf.
One tune that surely influenced the Stooges is Ronnie Hawkins 1960 version of Who Do You Love which was a big hit on CKLW out of Windsor, Ontario and seems to be the basis for the version on You Want My Action, the solo also sounds a lot like Search & Destroy (the solo is played by Robbie Robertson, then aged 16).

Can you send me the song? (eg preview Amazon) I can not find it anywhere
Back to top Go down
PineappleExpress
Pumpin' for Jill

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:56 am

the real cool time riff might have been inspired by louie louie
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:28 pm

what version you have in mind? Richard Berry,Kingsmen etc?
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:33 pm

PineappleExpress wrote:
the real cool time riff might have been inspired by louie louie

Doubt it, the chords which make up the riff (which also makes up "Loose" and "Kick Out The Jams" is identical to "I Want You" by the Troggs and even its not the same.
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:39 pm

20 - 30sec is sound like raw power

is sound like shake appeal ....skip to 17 sec
Back to top Go down
PineappleExpress
Pumpin' for Jill

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:10 am

Panama probably inspired Cold Metal. They have the same chords.

stooges wrote:

is sound like shake appeal ....skip to 17 sec

0:24 it sounds like "loose"
Back to top Go down
stooges

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:55 pm

someone hears the similarity of 1:17 solo and wet my bed?
Back to top Go down
Nervousnorvus

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Can you send me the song? (eg preview Amazon) I can not find it anywhere

If you go to this page on my blog (Bo Diddley Goes Guitar Shopping) there are links to my favorite Bo Diddley covers and you can hear the Ronnie Hawkins Who Do You Love, a link to it is in the second paragraph:

http://thehoundblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/bo-diddley-goes-guitar-shopping.html
Back to top Go down
http://thehoundblog.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?   

Back to top Go down

songs that influenced / inspired the Stooges?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next