Share | 

I saw the Stooges covered with bruises

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
saichan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: I saw the Stooges covered with bruises   Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:07 am

Awesome memories of a Stooges show in 1974 from a diehard fan. Some great Instamatic photos from the gig, too, and even a scan of a letter James wrote to the author:

Quote :
James Williamson was on guitar-- impossibly gaunt, wearing a scowl and some sort of stretch sateen apparel so tight that it made the Raspberries signature satin pants look like baggy jodphurs by comparison. He was blasting so loudly and attitudinally that everyone in the audience was literally agape and agog, in total shock and awe from yes, immediate Raw Power dominance. Helen and I were right up against the stage, right, directly in front of James, and left of Iggy. Heidi and Mona and Becky were clutching the edge of the stage, chests heaving. These things I note, because there was nothing like this before, and nothing remotely like it afterward. If Helen, who was snapping photos like it was going out of style, Iggy staring right into her lens, had turned to take a photo of the audience, it would have revealed a roomful of zitty no-counts, each and every one of them with their mouths wide open, their eyes glittering with a weird light, and their hands tightly clutching either the rotty velvet seat back in front of them, or the arm of whoever was closest to them. It was as though spaceships were landing, or Christ was coming, finally, through the clouds. These things I know.

We were staring at Williamson blaring away at some solo or another, unable to register clear thought or form words, when suddenly Iggy suddenly seemed to have lost his white flared jeans, reveling nothing more than a well honed hiney encased in what certainly appeared to be women's nylon undies. Nowadays, you may not bat an eyelash at the thought of gents opting for ladies wear, but speaking for myself, fresh from the boondocks and totally uninformed, my pea brain positively exploding with the unbelievably fantastic, super loud mess of class favorites blasting at us, combined with this guy Iggy, who was the most muy macho personage I'd ever set eyeballs on, despite the no-fly zone unmentionables, heck, I was ready to burst in flames right then and there and be toted home in an ash can. Right here! Right now! There was general mayhem when the curtain came down, we all looking at each other with new eyes. There was an intermission; some of the older kids went out to the lobby to drink, smoke, and rehash. I sat in the aisle feeling like I'd just finally grown up. Slade came on and entertained the people. They were wonderful, yes, but I was seeing things now, ten minutes later, through grown up eyeballs. I'd seen the future and it didn't conduct sing alongs.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: I saw the Stooges covered with bruises   Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:35 am

Great pics! cheers
Back to top Go down
the5thramone37
Dog Food

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: I saw the Stooges covered with bruises   Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:47 am

Fantastic pics! good read too, made me feel like i was there Smile
Back to top Go down
jerrythebarman

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: I saw the Stooges covered with bruises   Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:29 am

A typically great piece of writing by Miriam Linna of the mighty A-bones and Kicks magazine fame. I'm guessing the photos that her sister contributed to the booklet in the Raw Power set are the two with Iggy and James sharing the mic. Those were two of the only ones I hadn't seen before.
Back to top Go down
Aku

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: I saw the Stooges covered with bruises   Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 pm

Yeah, Miriam of the A-Bones and The Cramps has always been cool...She also runs the coolest record label on the planet, - The Norton Records.

This made my smile :
Iggy flew off the stage, danced and pranced and sang like a big bad bird. Astonishing. He even got in a decent insult about "corporate assholes". Wonderful.

corporate assholes - Itīs kinda funny when you realize that James Williamson has been a corporate business man for years too...hahah.

Last edited by Aku on Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: I saw the Stooges covered with bruises   Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Having been at that gig, I loved the line, "I'd seen the future, and it didn't conduct
sing alongs".

Unfortunately, the future did not include many more Stooge gigs for many years. All the more reason to celebrate them now and see them live.
Back to top Go down
rubber legs

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-03-20

PostSubject: Re: I saw the Stooges covered with bruises   Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:20 pm

Aku wrote:
corporate assholes - Itīs kinda funny when you realize that James Williamson has been a corporate business man for years too...hahah.

Not to mention the fact that most of Iggy's income comes from selling his songs to those same "corporate assholes" to use in commercials and movies.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: I saw the Stooges covered with bruises   Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Fascinating to think that the Stooges were the support act for Slade.
What a bizarre combination.
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I saw the Stooges covered with bruises   

Back to top Go down

I saw the Stooges covered with bruises
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1