Share | 

Metallic KO question re: 'Louie Louie'

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
saichan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Metallic KO question re: 'Louie Louie'   Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:53 am

I have a longstanding query that I've been meaning to ask, one that I don't think has been covered in the many posts on Metallic KO here in these forums.

Basically, can anyone tell me why 'Louie Louie' is recorded so hot compared to the other KO tracks? My index for this is James's guitar, which is clear, strong and loud, in stark contrast to the other tracks where he sounds like he's in the next room.

What's the story here? Is that one cut from a different source to the rest?

If only the entire album sounded like this...
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO question re: 'Louie Louie'   Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:08 pm

I'd say it was probably the soundboard being adjusted when The Stooges left the stage.
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO question re: 'Louie Louie'   Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:27 pm

Metallic KO was recorded directly off the soundboard, and so the end result is entirely down to the performance of the sound engineer on the night. Of course, he will judge the overall sound based on what he can actually hear in the auditorium and this will frequently sound very different to what is captured on the tape. For example, if James had his amps turned up very loud on stage the engineer would not need to put so much through the soundboard to achieve a good mix. The song Louie Louie has a fairly simple structure and the guitar would sound clearer anyway because of this. The engineer most likely felt that it would sound better still with a little more guitar in the mix. If you listen to the solo it is obvious that the engineer has turned up the guitar slightly for this, but when James goes back into the main riff that same engineer is slow to react and that is why the guitar sounds much louder for a few seconds until the fader is turned down again.
Back to top Go down
saichan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO question re: 'Louie Louie'   Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Ah, I see what you mean. Thanks, that clears it up for me. I did think it was a soundboard recording, but Wikipedia seems to think it's reel to reel, hence my confusion about 'Louie Louie' being recorded differently from the rest.

Hmmm, that reminds me: didn't Natalie also say Michael Tipton recorded it on reel to reel?
Back to top Go down
studioguy

Number of posts : 841
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO question re: 'Louie Louie'   Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:50 pm

saichan wrote:
Ah, I see what you mean. Thanks, that clears it up for me. I did think it was a soundboard recording, but Wikipedia seems to think it's reel to reel, hence my confusion about 'Louie Louie' being recorded differently from the rest.

Hmmm, that reminds me: didn't Natalie also say Michael Tipton recorded it on reel to reel?

You can plug a reel to reel recorder into a sound board just as easy as a cassette recorder, the difference would be if it's 2 track or 4 track
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO question re: 'Louie Louie'   

Back to top Go down

Metallic KO question re: 'Louie Louie'
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1