the weirdness

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
morepower

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: the weirdness   Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:50 am

i dont know why but this album gets bad reveiws i dont think its the best album but trollin greedy awful people my idea of fun and the weirdness are great. i know it came out in 2007 but im new and want to know your opinions.
Back to top Go down
stooges

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:10 am

worst stooges album...gold raw power!!!
Back to top Go down
boogie

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:40 am

Strong music ruined by weak vocals.
Back to top Go down
NickZah

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:59 am

My opinion that this is an unfinished album and the sound is not quite as in previous albums. Yeah the album has good songs, but this is not the same The Stooges that were previously.
Back to top Go down
sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:48 am

They sound like a band that had taken a break for 30 something odd years, and were just getting back into the groove of making music with each other again. 'Course, it lacks that "young/angry/frustrated/sexually tense" vibe as some of that earlier material, but then again they weren't those guys anymore by the time The Weirdness was written.

It's OK. My Idea of Fun and Mexican Guy are both great songs. It still isn't one of my fav albums of all time, but I dig it much more now than I did when it came out.
Back to top Go down
freemind

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Bad mix, some bad lyrics but sometimes it work really well (O solo mio is just beautiful, my ideau of fun, I'm fried and Claustrophobia) for the rest it doesn't sounds good in my hear (fuckin steve albini).

But I've the feeling for their next LP l it's gonna be good with the skull.
Back to top Go down
sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:02 pm

Albini is often brilliant, I'm just not sure he was the man for this particular job.

That said, Albini is widely known to let the artists have serious say in the recording/mixing process...so much to the point to where he we let them get VERY hands on, if that's what they prefer....

Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"

Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:03 pm

Various members of Union Carbide Productions, on flying all the way from Sweden to record their fourth album in Chicago with Steve Albini...

"We came to Chicago, where the record company lodged us at a hotel. After a couple of days of adjustment we wondered when the recording sessions were to commence. A phone call to the Chicago Recording Studio revealed that no booking existed whatsoever. We called the record company and found out that we should be a couple of days in that studio and the rest of the time at Steve Albini's house. But he could not start for some days, because he was celebrating his 30th birthday playing non-stop billiards and was not to be disturbed. So, the first week nothing happened. We ate, drank and waited for the recording engineer/producer to finish his pool game"

"We were supposed to be there three or four weeks, and we didn't meet with Steve until after 10 days. He explained it "I had a lot of things to do", and he did"

"He was just "Well, just go in and play and we can do this in two days, and then blah blah blah...". And we're standing there like six sheep with our mouths open, going "What?!" 'Cos we wanted to do all the overdubs and spend a lot of time in the studio ... He was talking about "I'm doing another band, so we better hurry up"

"When we did the first takes -we did two days at Chicago Recording Company- it felt rather good we thought. Now we have a lot of time in Steve Albini's studio to work and fool around, but then he was, "You gotta do this and that, and you can save the first take of the song - it doesn't really matter, because we have to mix now, you have to go away". Then I figured, fuck, this isn't gonna work"

"Steve Albini told us, with a great amount of pride, that he normally recorded the entire band live in the morning and then mixed in the afternoon"

"At first, in his studio, it sounded OK. Then we got the tape and went to the local bar where we used to hang out and played it for the bartender that we'd learned to know. She just shook her head and said, "What have you been doing here for four weeks? It sounds awful. It's so bad!". And we listened to it and it was so bad. It sounded like the worst demo tape sounds"

"It was very difficult to deal with Mr. Albini's attitude - a person who thinks they are the Einstein of Punk Rock, which I found extremely pathetic. There was no way we could finish the album in Chicago, so we went to Sweden to do the last overdubs"

(Quotes taken from Ugly Things, issue 16)
Back to top Go down
morepower

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:50 am

freemind wrote:
Bad mix, some bad lyrics but sometimes it work really well (O solo mio is just beautiful, my ideau of fun, I'm fried and Claustrophobia) for the rest it doesn't sounds good in my hear (fuckin steve albini).

But I've the feeling for their next LP l it's gonna be good with the skull.
the drums are too loud

Petrie Terrace wrote:
Various members of Union Carbide Productions, on flying all the way from Sweden to record their fourth album in Chicago with Steve Albini...

"We came to Chicago, where the record company lodged us at a hotel. After a couple of days of adjustment we wondered when the recording sessions were to commence. A phone call to the Chicago Recording Studio revealed that no booking existed whatsoever. We called the record company and found out that we should be a couple of days in that studio and the rest of the time at Steve Albini's house. But he could not start for some days, because he was celebrating his 30th birthday playing non-stop billiards and was not to be disturbed. So, the first week nothing happened. We ate, drank and waited for the recording engineer/producer to finish his pool game"

"We were supposed to be there three or four weeks, and we didn't meet with Steve until after 10 days. He explained it "I had a lot of things to do", and he did"

"He was just "Well, just go in and play and we can do this in two days, and then blah blah blah...". And we're standing there like six sheep with our mouths open, going "What?!" 'Cos we wanted to do all the overdubs and spend a lot of time in the studio ... He was talking about "I'm doing another band, so we better hurry up"

"When we did the first takes -we did two days at Chicago Recording Company- it felt rather good we thought. Now we have a lot of time in Steve Albini's studio to work and fool around, but then he was, "You gotta do this and that, and you can save the first take of the song - it doesn't really matter, because we have to mix now, you have to go away". Then I figured, fuck, this isn't gonna work"

"Steve Albini told us, with a great amount of pride, that he normally recorded the entire band live in the morning and then mixed in the afternoon"

"At first, in his studio, it sounded OK. Then we got the tape and went to the local bar where we used to hang out and played it for the bartender that we'd learned to know. She just shook her head and said, "What have you been doing here for four weeks? It sounds awful. It's so bad!". And we listened to it and it was so bad. It sounded like the worst demo tape sounds"

"It was very difficult to deal with Mr. Albini's attitude - a person who thinks they are the Einstein of Punk Rock, which I found extremely pathetic. There was no way we could finish the album in Chicago, so we went to Sweden to do the last overdubs"

(Quotes taken from Ugly Things, issue 16)
i never knew they didnt like it
Back to top Go down
Triskell

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:19 am

As far as comeback albums are concerned, it's better than Kiss' "Psycho Circus". If someone can find something to enjoy in this album, more power to them, but I think it would have taken more than new lyrics and vocals and a new mix to make a decent album out of this.

I'm with Henry Rollins on this one; they just didn't work hard enough on this album, they should have treated the Albini recordings as demos and gone to work with a real producer. They were great live, they could have made a good album, but it didn't work out that way!
Back to top Go down
Mr. FunBoy

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Back to top Go down
http://HeavyLiquidVideos.yola.com
Garageman

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:54 pm

This live performance - the vocals especially - sounds way better to me than the album version, which is more like a collection of demos with guide vocals.

Thanks for the link, Mr. Funboy!
Back to top Go down
morepower

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Triskell wrote:
As far as comeback albums are concerned, it's better than Kiss' "Psycho Circus". If someone can find something to enjoy in this album, more power to them, but I think it would have taken more than new lyrics and vocals and a new mix to make a decent album out of this.

I'm with Henry Rollins on this one; they just didn't work hard enough on this album, they should have treated the Albini recordings as demos and gone to work with a real producer. They were great live, they could have made a good album, but it didn't work out that way!
i agree
Back to top Go down
kaiserken

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

I think it's a terrible album for The Stooges to have released. I listened once at a friends house and knew the thing would never grow on me. Awful drum sounds and throw away lyrics. I've never purchased or listened to the Weirdness again and I am quite a Stooges fan. That being said, every great artist is capable of a wrong move.
Back to top Go down
morepower

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:59 am

i think it would have been better if there were 7 or 8 songs grate rather than 13 ok songs
Back to top Go down
dfmb

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:27 am

Steve Albini's an engineer (as he publicly states himself) he's not a producer and some bands really need a producer. Someone who is willing to say "that sounds shit, do it again please" or bring some interesting arrangement advice to the sessions.

Steve Albini's not the man to do that, and I really wish The Stooges had done the album with a proper producer, but with someone as good at recording rock, like Albini engineering.

Who would have been good?

I'd vote for someone like John Cale again (if he'd have taken them on) or maybe John Leckie? He knows how to make guitars sound good and is a good arranger.

Who would you suggest?
Back to top Go down
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:53 am

dfmb wrote:
Steve Albini's an engineer (as he publicly states himself) he's not a producer and some bands really need a producer. Someone who is willing to say "that sounds shit, do it again please" or bring some interesting arrangement advice to the sessions.

Steve Albini's not the man to do that, and I really wish The Stooges had done the album with a proper producer, but with someone as good at recording rock, like Albini engineering.

I'd vote for someone like John Cale again (if he'd have taken them on) or maybe John Leckie? He knows how to make guitars sound good and is a good arranger.

Who would you suggest?

Rick Rubin had publicly volunteered to produce a Stooges reunion album a few years before the Weirdness. If he could have injected half the magic into the band as he did Johnny Cash's American albums it would have been amazing.
Back to top Go down
dfmb

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:00 am

He ruined* that last Metallica album with horrible brickwalled mastering though (he instructed the mastering engineer to make it so) and inspired the wrath of their fans enough that a large part of their official forum was given over to a petition demanding a new master be made.

* "ruining a Metallica album" - technically impossible as having the shite that calls itself Metallica play on a disc will ruin it anyway.
Back to top Go down
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:39 am

They couldn't work out a budget with Virgin and Rick. Not sure whether Rick offered to cut his fee, but he would not have made an album as quickly as they did with Albini, thus not as cheaply. I imagine he would have also squawked about the material, as he did with Mick Jagger on the solo album Rick produced for him.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:42 pm

dfmb wrote:

Who would you suggest?

Don Gallucci, who else?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
freemind

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:22 pm

Quote :
Don Gallucci, who else?

Huum Jack White ?
Back to top Go down
kaiserken

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:31 pm

Eddie Kramer?
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:41 pm

freemind wrote:
Quote :
Don Gallucci, who else?

Huum Jack White ?

Or Jack Black?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Chazz Avery

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:38 am

As I've mentioned several times on this board, Albini is NOT the culprit here. His task was to get the sound on tape. Simple as that. A task that is his forté. Dozens of recordings atest to that fact. He did NOT mix, master or produce this album. According to Albini (it's not listed on the album), Iggy mixed it. According to the liner notes, Nick Webb at Abbey Road mastered it and 3 Blind Mice produced it. So, the final product is way out of Albini's hands. Albini only recorded it. Many other people had their hands in the pot of the finished album.

I made a post on this topic in another thread here before I saw this one. I spoke with Albini a couple of days ago about this very topic. Further comments at the thread.

Check some of the links here to get an idea of Albini's studio techniques.

Back to top Go down
http://beatlesource.com/chazz

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks for the insight , Chazz

..Hey! Yet another album ruined by an Iggy-Mix. Doh

But I do think the drums have a sort of Albini signature sound on it, if you compare it
to that Pixies album he did. I think he uses less microphones (i.e. not one on every drum)
I kinda like that sound but it does not work to well with the Stooges. Anyway, always good
to hear Scott's drumming.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   

Back to top Go down

the weirdness
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next