View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy

Number of posts : 3440
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:21 pm

I agree, I dont know where the albini bashing came from as it was produced by three blind mice which was the three main stooges at the time and then mixed later on

although, why did they chose to work with albini? he's obviously well known and good at what he does, but was there a reason they chose him or was it just, as has been suggested, purely monetary?

HJW

Back to top Go down
Chazz Avery

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:27 pm

zickafuce wrote:
But I do think the drums have a sort of Albini signature sound on it, if you compare it
to that Pixies album he did. I think he uses less microphones (i.e. not one on every drum)
I kinda like that sound but it does not work to well with the Stooges.
According to PJ Harvey (Albini did her Rid Of Me album), he places several mics high and low all around the room. I'm assuming that's why you hear so much of the room breath in his recordings.

THAT might be why it might not work for The Stooges. Perhaps they're better more close mic'd.
Back to top Go down
http://beatlesource.com/chazz
Nadja

Number of posts : 2605
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:52 pm

[quote="morepower"]i think it would have been better if there were 7 or 8 songs grate rather than 13 ok songs[/quote]

Fair point. I do like this album but I'll admit I don't listen to it that much.
Back to top Go down
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:48 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:

I agree, I dont know where the albini bashing came from as it was produced by three blind mice which was the three main stooges at the time and then mixed later on

although, why did they chose to work with albini? he's obviously well known and good at what he does, but was there a reason they chose him or was it just, as has been suggested, purely monetary?

HJW

Good point. I suspect Iggy wanted to be current and hip (though maybe Albini is more 90's), just as he seemed to want his Raw Power remix to compete with Limp Biskit.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:30 am

Quote :

Good point. I suspect Iggy wanted to be current and hip (though maybe Albini is more 90's), just as he seemed to want his Raw Power remix to compete with Limp Biskit.

Well this is the thing, i can understand the iggy mix as a historical document (and beside that i actually enjoy it - it was the one i knew first so maybe im bias) but i can understand why iggy did that at the time, to compete or align with the rougher, louder sound at the time, but why albini this time?

does he have a personal preference for his work? As you say albini is 90s, does iggy like that sound, or did he imagine this as a grunge record?

its a strange thing, theres always some problem with the production/mixing on a stooges record, sans maybe funhouse and including kill city, but i still dont get the choice of albini, maybe he just really wanted the opportunity to work with them - though in that interview Chazz posted in another topic, he seemed nonplussed about it alll

HJW

Back to top Go down
sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:08 pm

Albini is more a product of 80's than 90's. He's comes from a noisy/hardcore background...very DIY...and he doesn't mind giving the artists he works with what they want.

Albini is great. There have been some shit records, but much of that can be attributed to the artists being recorded.
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:02 pm

In my opinion Albini is not "great", his own band Shellac is total dogshit, boring live and arrogant for no apparent reason. He is an overrated leftover from the hype of the grunge generation. I have over the years heard a few stories from musicians who wanted to get his name on their CD as a career move, usually he never turned up to the recordings anyway, he would send one of his "assistants". I would be interested to know which Steve Albini productions you think are "great" seems to me he never did anything after Big Black that was particularly amazing, lazy journalists made him what he is.
Back to top Go down
rubber legs

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-03-20

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:55 am

boogie wrote:
Strong music ruined by weak vocals.

Yup. Unless Albini sang on the record, it's not his fault that it isn't what it could have been.
Back to top Go down
sway

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:32 am

krugersoldier wrote:
In my opinion Albini is not "great", his own band Shellac is total dogshit, boring live and arrogant for no apparent reason. He is an overrated leftover from the hype of the grunge generation. I have over the years heard a few stories from musicians who wanted to get his name on their CD as a career move, usually he never turned up to the recordings anyway, he would send one of his "assistants". I would be interested to know which Steve Albini productions you think are "great" seems to me he never did anything after Big Black that was particularly amazing, lazy journalists made him what he is.

He wasn't from the "grunge" generation, though. A few of the so called "grunge" bands (most notably Nirvana) used him to help out on some records because of his DIY work ethic. Albini's first band was Big Black...one of the most creative, as well as influential bands to come out of 80's hardcore + punk rock. Wildly experimental in a scene that didn't widely appreciate experimentation. Rapeman kicked ass, Shellac has had a few moments (esp. on that 1000 Hurts record).

He's worked with some "questionable" artists through the years (like Bush for instance), but people KEEP coming back to him not because of his skill, but because he tried his best to give the artists what they themselves are wanting. He's a major supporter of bands willing to push the envelope a bit, and has done a lot in the way of putting labels such as Chicago's very own Touch + Go on the map.

Some notable artists he's worked with:

Nirvana
Neurosis
PJ Harvey
The Breeders
Pixies
Mogwai ....to name a few.

He's basically a construction worker. You hire someone to build your house, and they build it to the exact specifications you wish for (even allowing you to get hands on if you wish), you can't blame him if the neighbors don't happen to dig yr house. He's not in the business of trying to impress anyone, and I love 'em for it.

He can be an arrogant asshole, but that's a whole part of his shtick. Iggy's been one, Johnny Rotten, Kurt, Rollins, whatever....it just goes hand in hand with rock n roll. Shit's not always flowers + cupcakes.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:35 pm

Difference is Albani isn't best known as a frontman, not to mention it's hard to take the whole "dangerous asshole" persona seriously when you look like a financial advisor. His stupid engineer credit is not some excuse for not being a producer, he is hired to be the producer he just tries to appear DIY by wanting "engineer" written on the linear notes.

Anyway as for his mixing, Nirvana were unhappy with his mixing but they only hired him because the Pixies used him on "Surfer Rosa" which is a great sounding album but there sound is pretty different, not any traditional loud crunchy "rawk" guitars as such. Actually the reason the Pixies never used him again is because they (apart from Kim Deal) thought he was an asshole.

The reason he was probably picked is because Iggy seems to have stopped listening to rock albums in the 90s, he was trying to compete with Nirvana in 1997...after Cobain had been dead for 3 years.

The big problem with "The Weirdness" wasn't with the mix though (we're Stooges fans, when has sound quality came into it?) but that the songs were weak and the vocals and lyrics were abysmal. It was more laziness than anything, they didn't need a producer to help them craft the songs because if they'd put more effort in the songs would have been decent anyway.
Back to top Go down
sway

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:43 pm

"The big problem with "The Weirdness" wasn't with the mix though (we're Stooges fans, when has sound quality came into it?) but that the songs were weak and the vocals and lyrics were abysmal. It was more laziness than anything, they didn't need a producer to help them craft the songs because if they'd put more effort in the songs would have been decent anyway."

Agreed.

And from what I gather it wasn't Nirvana that was dissatisfied with Albini's In Utero, it was the record label that found it too "raunchy" and far from the very radio-friendly Nevermind. Kurt made some comments, be he contradicted himself often.
Back to top Go down
coffeepotman

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:36 am

I totally agree with G F# E..You can blame Albini all you want but you can't polish a turd and the poor songs and poor lyrics plus having the "three blind mice" produce it is what killed the effort.

Personally I don't expect much from Iggy anymore, not since 1988 anyway. There are the few gems hidden in the rough on every album including the Weirdness. I actually like the leftover songs more than the real ones.

HomesickJW, Iggy's mix of Raw Power was the first one you ever heard, how long have you been listening to the Stooges??

Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:43 pm

Quote :

HomesickJW, Iggy's mix of Raw Power was the first one you ever heard, how long have you been listening to the Stooges??

since about 2005 from recollection - im only 21 - but i still like it, cant really listen to it as often as the first two albums or the new bowie remaster, but its good for once in a while listening for its severity and it does make you feel that that band could've killed any of the others around at the time or since, whereas i think bowies mix shows the artistry of the album, you can heard james' playing and the band, at least a bit better than the iggy mix, and the effects bowie laid on it etc so its more listenable and shows how good the bands writing was

HJW
Back to top Go down
Winnerloser

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Anyway, I like this one. Kinda mix of the old Stooges sound and Beat 'Em Up along with the latter's unusual lyrical angriness.
Back to top Go down
http://www.anthonytupchy.forumbook.ru
turnblue69

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-04-06

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:10 pm

i think overall it's their weakest effort. the songs are mediocre at best. and iggy's voice is showing the effects of his age and insane habits. i honestly don't think they should have recorded new material, and instead just play through the first three albums in extended jams like the old days.
Back to top Go down
Geriatric KO

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-03-27

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:13 am

Do you think Ready to Die will be worse than The Weirdness?
Back to top Go down
fabrice

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2011-08-02

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:15 pm

no.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the weirdness   

Back to top Go down

the weirdness
View previous topic View next topic Back to top