Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ziguana62

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2010-05-03

PostSubject: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:36 pm

does anybody know if there any differences in the original numbered rhino 7 disc box set and the reissue,for instance does the reissue still have the issue date of 1999.also does anybody know if apart from promos any original issues were un numbered?cheers!!!!!
Back to top Go down
larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:57 pm

A quick glance at the new box and CD covers shows the 1999 date. I didn't dig any deeper to see if there was a 2010 date anywhere else but in the most obvious places it says 1999.

Also, I have an unnumbered "promo" copy of the original issue that I bought at a record swap meet about 4 or 5 years ago. It is not a bootleg because it has all of the correct matrix numbers imprinted on the actual CDs. It has a paper mock up of the outer box and while it has the printed CD covers (the folded paper sleeves that go inside each jewel box) they are blank on the inside - that is to say - no liner notes. But it is unnumbered and from the original issue.

***Edit*** I just realized that your question pertained to non promo copies. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
ziguana62

PostSubject: Re: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:03 pm

hi does disc7 have limited numbered edition and a space for numers but no numbers present?
Back to top Go down
LuckyMonkey

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-09-18

PostSubject: Re: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi,

I have an un-numbered package from the original issue.
The sleeve for disc 7 is blank where the number should be.
Each of the other 6 inserts for the lower part of the jewel case have a punched hole.
All correct matrix numbers are on the discs, which were pressed by WEA.
I bought it about 7 years ago.
Hope this helps.

Get back to me if you need anything else.

Last edited by LuckyMonkey on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ziguana62

PostSubject: Re: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:02 pm

thanks ,thats exactly the same as the version i have just bought from a seller on e-bay,i was a bit worried the seller was trying to pass off the recent reissue as the original.i wonder why are issues do not have numbers?maybe they made more than has been said.
Back to top Go down
LuckyMonkey

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-09-18

PostSubject: Re: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:53 pm

I believe mine came direct from someone at Rhino & was never intended to be made available for sale.
Back to top Go down
ziguana62

PostSubject: Re: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:23 pm

thanks for that,i am glad i didnt get a reissue.now for the good part,actually listening to the whole box set.got my head phones on now.brilliant stuff,stooges are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
nkdlunch

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:56 pm

I have an original numbered box 0016/3000 and I also got a copy of the re-issue.

The re-issue disc 7 (mock 7") says limited numbered edition and has a space for numbers but no numbers present.

I have scoured the re-issue and I have not been able to find anything that says 2010. I've compared printing and notes and unless I'm missing something the re-issue looks EXACTLY the same. I don't know how people are going to be able to tell if this is just a 1999 un-numbered box or a re-issue. Date on bottom says 1999 as original. Only difference Ive seen is that the printing is overall slightly darker on the original.

WAIT, I FINALLY FOUND A WAY TO IDENTIFY THE RE-ISSUE!

The lid on the original box is a more solid cardboard than the re-issue and the ENTIRE COVER
is covered by the label. On the re-issue the lid has a tab and flap on the top, as if you could open it from the top without sliding off the cover.

So far thats the only difference I can find. Anyone else found identifiable differences?
I'll try to scan original and re-issue.
Back to top Go down
nkdlunch

PostSubject: Re: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:21 am

Image hosted by servimg.com

Box on left is original, box on the right is the re-issue. Please post other differences.
Back to top Go down
buk72

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-12-11

PostSubject: Re: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:04 pm

nkdlunch,
just curious if you hear any sound differences between the sets? I just recieved my reissue and was curious if Rhino remastered it? I suspect they didn't, but I don't have an original to compare.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:41 pm

From your picture it looks like the image is pasted on to the box on the original and printed directly onto the box on the re-issue. Correct?
Back to top Go down
nkdlunch

PostSubject: Re: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:09 am

No, just looked at the re-issue and its printed right on the cardboard, not pasted on.

As far as the sound difference I have not A/B'ed them. I doubt there's much difference, but I'll get around to checking it soon.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

PostSubject: Re: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:55 am

so is the original outer box pasted?
I was given direct cdr copies in 2000, i have not compared but from memory the re-issue sounds sharper. Its probably my mind playing games though.
Back to top Go down
nkdlunch

PostSubject: Re: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:06 am

Okay, just checked. The original box has the outer artwork pasted on the box and the inner box images are printed right on the cardboard and not pasted on.

The re-issue, the artwork is printed directly on the cardboard on the outer and inner boxes.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

PostSubject: Re: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:55 pm

The pasted vs printed box seems the easiest way to quickly spot the difference for someone wanting an original then. I just compared my two versions and the re-issue does sound brighter, but maybe because my version of the original release is from a direct cdr copy (maybe something was lost in the transfer) or just my ears!
Back to top Go down
nkdlunch

PostSubject: Re: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:58 am

See my post with the pics a few back. I think the easiest quickest way to tell the difference is that the re-issue has a flap on the top lid of the box and the original the top of the box is solid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?   

Back to top Go down

difference between orig funhouse sessions and reissue?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1