Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Who wants a new Stooges album and why?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Do you think Iggy and The Stooges should record a new LP?
Yes!
86%
 86% [ 42 ]
No!
6%
 6% [ 3 ]
Don't care.
8%
 8% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 49

AuthorMessage
mr.datsun

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Who wants a new Stooges album and why?   Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:56 am

StoogeFan wrote:
mr.datsun wrote:
At a certain point it is possible that all the best recorded moments of a band's career become overshadowed or rather outnumbered by inferior or even 'worthwhile' releases and recordings.

Has this already happened to the stooges with all of the bootlegs of varying quality out there?

Well... I didn't want to say as much. I'm highly opinionated on these matters but I know that hardcore fans want to hear everything they can get hold of so there is a need for that material. Is it worthwhile? I think a lot of Stooges stuff has gotten out in lieu of better stuff like Unganos's or Natalie Schlossman's tapes having ever been available before today. But all that rehearsal stuff? People are hungry or curious but not for me. As a teenager I even bought a copy of Night of the Iguana and I really wanted it when i saw it. Played it about twice and then not all the way through it sounds so bad but I keep it for nostalgia and the cover.

What do others think of all the boots?
Back to top Go down
woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Who wants a new Stooges album and why?   Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:26 am

I like the bootlegs and I don't really care about the quality. I think they're all good. Everytime I hear another snippet of old bootleg stuff I go back to the proper recordings with a slightly altered perspective. More input keeps it all bubbling, more context is always good, and I'll take it however it comes.

But I really agree with you mr.datsun about new music from the remains of The Stooges. James said something about the bar being set very high. That's encouraging, and I hope they can write something fresh and challenging. Iggy's best recent work has been his more introspective stuff I reckon, and those guys together must have a lot to say about the time that's passed. A new Stooges album of avantgarde music could be so awesome!

Back to top Go down
freemind

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Who wants a new Stooges album and why?   Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:11 am

okay so the classics tunes are timeless but I'm sure that they can throw some very good stuff. I m sure that the combo igyy + the skull can be very positive.

It's like when I hear Mighty Rearranger (or even the last john Cale) it's a great record made by an old guy but it works ! So Why not about the Stooges ?

Last edited by freemind on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
miester

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Who wants a new Stooges album and why?   Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:48 pm

I think a new album would be great but also here in Australia everyone watches rage and video hits . It would be fantastic to get The Stooges on video so the masses can see how great they really are, not plastic ,just authentic. Just went to the Big Day out in Melbourne all the young musos yelling Iggy Iggy and taking about Raw Power, Kill City etc. I was nearly in tears. Go the Stooges. R.I.P RON.
Back to top Go down
specotron

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Who wants a new Stooges album and why?   Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:42 pm

New material from bands can vary from embarrassing to better than ever before. Case in point: the reformed Wire currently writes and produces albums which are better than their material from the 70s. "Send" from 2003 far exceeds "Pink Flag" from 1977... a "mature" slash-and-burn album.

Playing 40-year-old songs over and over in live venues is nice, but is also limiting and repetitive. I would bet Iggy and James still have music in their heads that could be translated into an album of new material of import. To think otherwise would be underestimating their talent. They could only be creative when they were young?

That said, such an album would require more effort than simply phoning in the lyrics as was the case with The Weirdness. If they invested the same energy into creating new material as they do rehearsing for tours, it could, and probably would be, beyond excellent.

In summary, yes... make a new studio album of brand new material, but please, don't rush in and out of the studio with some mainstream producer to simply put out a product. Take complete artistic control and just be The Stooges.
Back to top Go down
woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Who wants a new Stooges album and why?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:22 am

Right on! Let it be totally uncommercial and screw all expectations. I suppose it might come down to the balance between money in the bank and fire in the belly. Presumably the boys don't need to chase the numbers anymore, but being rich isn't a great encouragement for the best artistic work either. I hope for less high-speed crowd-pleasing kickass rock and roll and more of the Stooges' inspiration on the nature of reality, mortality, anger, resentment, beat culture and hot sex. Something existential, total artistic control, and the emphasis on 'art'. and 'total'. The guys could really get heard now, but what will they want to say? I hope they still have the rage inside.
Back to top Go down
specotron

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Who wants a new Stooges album and why?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:46 pm

Yeah... thanks for taking it further... indeed, The Weirdness suffered from money in the bank versus fire in the belly... just pushed out there with generic production and honestly, Iggy really not bothering, or attempting a poorly executed parody of his younger self. Preliminaires indicates he is still capable of so much more.

A less crowd-pleasing album may include being less non-stop high-speed. Perhaps that is the only way to avoid self-parody. It wouldn't be an awful thing however... O Solo Mio was The Weirdness' high-point. Now in their 60s, perhaps The Stooges no longer have the rage they had in their 20s, but that's okay too. The 1960s/70s albums perfectly expressed this band at that time and a 2011 should perfectly express this band today.

A new album does not have to 'compete' with what went before. Lou Reed and John Cale did not parody The Velvet Underground for decades, but their material remained original. Does anyone compare 'The Blue Mask' or 'New York' or 'Ecstasy' to 'White Light / White Heat'? Again, I would be surprised if Iggy Pop and James Williamson could not pull off a new and excellent studio album without having to copy what went before.
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Who wants a new Stooges album and why?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Two words spring to mind when speaking of a new Stooges album, and those two words are: Unfinished business.

If the Stooges had completed an album in 1974 instead of splitting up, the results would have been awesome. Imagine properly recorded versions of 'Head On', 'Cock In My Pocket', 'Wet My Bed', 'Open Up & Bleed', 'Heavy Liquid' plus a few others. This is the album we need now. It is the 'missing link' of Stooges recordings.
Back to top Go down
951Sib

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2010-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Who wants a new Stooges album and why?   Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:03 pm

So, "Ready To Die", uh?
Produced by James Williamson himself.

Can't wait!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who wants a new Stooges album and why?   

Back to top Go down

Who wants a new Stooges album and why?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2