Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Scorpio

avatar

Number of posts : 11
Location : England
Registration date : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:39 pm

Sorry if this has been posted before, but does anyone have or know anything about this??

http://www.amazon.com/You-Dont-Want-Name-Action/dp/B002N1AE7S

Listening to the MP3 samples, it sounds great

http://www.amazon.co.uk/You-Dont-Want-Name-Action/dp/B003TIRJ5O/ref=sr_1_1_digr?ie=UTF8&qid=1332959866&sr=8-1
Back to top Go down
woody

avatar

Number of posts : 638
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Highly Recommended!!

No, scratch that.

'Essential'. Wink
Back to top Go down
rabid_fish

avatar

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:00 pm

i have it and is great, it really shows you that the stooges are, irrefutably, the fathers of punk.

besides it has great songs like you don't want my name, big time bum, i got a right and dead body

sound quality is not as good as some may wish, iggy's voice is very low in some parts, but i can stand it...
Back to top Go down
studioguy

avatar

Number of posts : 841
Location : Saint Paul, MN
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:27 pm

This is the only known recordings of the twin guitar lineup (Ron Asheton/ James Williamson) with Jimmy Recca on bass. Highly recommended!!
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
osterbergermeister

avatar

Number of posts : 170
Age : 54
Location : San Antonio, Texas
Registration date : 2007-03-08

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:09 am

You must own this!
Back to top Go down
sizeable bulge



Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:19 pm

Well, the shows are presented not in chronological order but in descending order of sound quality, and if you own the Live 1971 And Early Live Rarities CD the first Electric Circus show will sound like it was recorded with a mobile recording studio in comparison. In other words, a godsend.

Last time I checked Easy Action was still claiming "1000 copies only" and not to be reprinted. I knew this was bogus the first time I read it. There's no way you could sell it at that volume and price and still make a profit. I don't think this was a deliberate attempt on the part of Easy Action to mislead people but I do think its indicative of how hopelessly disorganized they are. Which makes me glad they were able to turn out a quality product with the Heavy Liquid box and the 1971 box but I do feel sorry for those fans who bought extra copies thinking they could turn a big profit on it.
Back to top Go down
Scorpio

avatar

Number of posts : 11
Location : England
Registration date : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:12 pm

Wow, thank you all for the tips, I'll be getting this as soon as possible! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
andrew



Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:52 pm

Scorpio wrote:
Wow, thank you all for the tips, I'll be getting this as soon as possible! Very Happy
You'll probably find it's cheapest to order from Easy Action themselves: www.easyaction.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Perdu

avatar

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:54 pm

Scorpio, another log in for 'must have.' Imagine, after all those decades gone by, hearing material you've never before encountered by this wild but masterful young band....
Back to top Go down
davidh

avatar

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-04-17

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:30 am

I agree that this is a fantastic release, but it really is for the 'true fan' only (disc one) and the completist only (for the rest). In other words, if, back in time, you would pay $50 for a shitty bootleg of one of the most legendary lineups of the greatest band ever, you're in your element. If you found 'Metallic KO' to be a bit on the 'difficult' side, I'd probably hold off.
Back to top Go down
blackout88

avatar

Number of posts : 66
Location : Glasgow, Scotland
Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:44 pm

Disc 3 - Track 3 - Fresh Rag - Essential for that version alone.
Back to top Go down
http://unwantedfriends.blogspot.com/
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
avatar

Number of posts : 3441
Age : 28
Location : Stoogeland
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:49 pm


It really is essential; its an entire chapter of the stooges story finally heard rather than just told.

The sound quality isn't amazing - only really the vocals; but the band sounds great, the twin guitar set up especially. It just pulverises you.

And more to the point, apart for the historical interest, they're great songs.


HJW
Back to top Go down
mc

avatar

Number of posts : 1765
Location : Bristol
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:49 am

If you order from Easy Action ask if they have any of the Jimmi Recca booklets left. They printed these after the cd set as Jimmi was AWOL at the time.
Back to top Go down
sizeable bulge



Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:57 pm

davidh wrote:
I agree that this is a fantastic release, but it really is for the 'true fan' only (disc one) and the completist only (for the rest). In other words, if, back in time, you would pay $50 for a shitty bootleg of one of the most legendary lineups of the greatest band ever, you're in your element. If you found 'Metallic KO' to be a bit on the 'difficult' side, I'd probably hold off.

I wouldn't call it "shitty". Yes, that describes the sound quality of disc 4 but even that has historical value as we get to hear the song "Black Like Me" a.k.a. "Nigger Man" for the first time ever (fortunately the band kept the great music and substituted the lyrics to "Who Do You Love" for an impresive "cover" as heard on discs 1 - 3). But I don't know many "shitty bootlegs" that are sourced from glitch-free master audience recordings as heard on the first 2 Electric Circus shows. It's unfortunate that Iggy's vocal is undermixed on these shows (especially the 2nd one) but to have him occasionally drowned out by such enthralling rock music is not such a huge price to pay. The 3rd disc (St.Louis) is a huge upgrade on the Live 1971 releases. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd get to hear these shows in as good a quality as on this release. Lets not denigrate it with faint praise. Lets give Easy Action some well deserved credit for bringing this to the masses.
Back to top Go down
davidh

avatar

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-04-17

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:44 am

sizeable bulge wrote:
davidh wrote:
I agree that this is a fantastic release, but it really is for the 'true fan' only (disc one) and the completist only (for the rest). In other words, if, back in time, you would pay $50 for a shitty bootleg of one of the most legendary lineups of the greatest band ever, you're in your element. If you found 'Metallic KO' to be a bit on the 'difficult' side, I'd probably hold off.

I wouldn't call it "shitty". Yes, that describes the sound quality of disc 4 but even that has historical value as we get to hear the song "Black Like Me" a.k.a. "Nigger Man" for the first time ever (fortunately the band kept the great music and substituted the lyrics to "Who Do You Love" for an impresive "cover" as heard on discs 1 - 3). But I don't know many "shitty bootlegs" that are sourced from glitch-free master audience recordings as heard on the first 2 Electric Circus shows. It's unfortunate that Iggy's vocal is undermixed on these shows (especially the 2nd one) but to have him occasionally drowned out by such enthralling rock music is not such a huge price to pay. The 3rd disc (St.Louis) is a huge upgrade on the Live 1971 releases. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd get to hear these shows in as good a quality as on this release. Lets not denigrate it with faint praise. Lets give Easy Action some well deserved credit for bringing this to the masses.

Hey, sorry if I was misunderstood - I didn't mean that this release was shitty, I meant that the bootlegs in the past sounded like mud, so you'll really enjoy the upgrade here if you strained your ears to make out the music on 'Live 71'. Also, after twenty plus years of having the same twenty post-Raw Power demos reissued over and over, it's great to hear some genuine new songs. Just don't expect 'Kick Out The Jams' level sound quality.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

avatar

Number of posts : 417
Age : 59
Location : uk
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:59 pm

On the back cover of the 4 CD release The Factory show is dated the 26th May but inside the sleeve as the 27th May 1971. I assume 27th is correct?. Anyone know if the pics of the cassettes are the source for the masters, or just artwork to impress, would there have been German BASF audio cassettes in the USA in 1971, especially c90's?
Back to top Go down
ashitanoramen

avatar

Number of posts : 142
Age : 43
Location : L.A.M.F.
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:34 pm

A must have for any stooges fan!
Back to top Go down
c-deep



Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-09-25

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:57 am

davidh wrote:
I agree that this is a fantastic release, but it really is for the 'true fan' only (disc one) and the completist only (for the rest). In other words, if, back in time, you would pay $50 for a shitty bootleg of one of the most legendary lineups of the greatest band ever, you're in your element. If you found 'Metallic KO' to be a bit on the 'difficult' side, I'd probably hold off.
I like this one much better than Metallic KO. In fact it's my favourite Stooges live recording. It's the twin guitar lineup. It just rocks so f...ing hard.
So what if Iggy is undermixed? Even disc 4 should appeal to fans of My Bloody Valentine. Wink
Essential.
Back to top Go down
Perdu

avatar

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:52 pm

Easy Action is to be commended bigtime. Besides offering pleasing packaging with goodies galore, their "clean up job" for the audio is quite good. I'm sure it must have been comparable to the Robert Johnson box set wherein the co. left in one tune in the condition it was found for comparison's sake: an entire track of loud hiss with a scratchy little bit of Johnson-sounding blues wafting through. In this Stooges release, you do hear everything you expect (particularly if you futz with your own sound system.) There it is, a legendary lineup. Get it.
Back to top Go down
sizeable bulge



Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:33 am

Perdu wrote:
Easy Action is to be commended bigtime. Besides offering pleasing packaging with goodies galore, their "clean up job" for the audio is quite good. I'm sure it must have been comparable to the Robert Johnson box set wherein the co. left in one tune in the condition it was found for comparison's sake: an entire track of loud hiss with a scratchy little bit of Johnson-sounding blues wafting through. In this Stooges release, you do hear everything you expect (particularly if you futz with your own sound system.) There it is, a legendary lineup. Get it.

Johnson was recorded in the 1940's!!! I think cassette recorders in the 1970's were a little more advanced!
Back to top Go down
Perdu

avatar

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:26 am

Bulge, Johnson was recorded with the era's high end studio technology for recording "in the field."
Back to top Go down
studioguy

avatar

Number of posts : 841
Location : Saint Paul, MN
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:04 am

Not to hijack the tread, but Robert Johnson was recorded at real studios, but according to legend he would always face the wall so no one could see his hands so no one could steal his guitar secrets. The engineer would put a mic right in the corner and he would face it. Not the best sound that way even for those days
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
mc

avatar

Number of posts : 1765
Location : Bristol
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Sat May 26, 2012 5:30 pm

gazatthebop wrote:
On the back cover of the 4 CD release The Factory show is dated the 26th May but inside the sleeve as the 27th May 1971. I assume 27th is correct?. Anyone know if the pics of the cassettes are the source for the masters, or just artwork to impress, would there have been German BASF audio cassettes in the USA in 1971, especially c90's?

I just compared the writing on the cassette photos to the hand writing on the back of some Danny Fields Stooges photos I have and it's definitely Danny's handwriting on the cassettes.
Back to top Go down
Dubby



Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:08 am

studioguy wrote:
Not to hijack the tread, but Robert Johnson was recorded at real studios, but according to legend he would always face the wall so no one could see his hands so no one could steal his guitar secrets. The engineer would put a mic right in the corner and he would face it. Not the best sound that way even for those days

Most of his recordings were made in a hotel room on portable equipment. Playing facing the corner was a method of improving the recorded sound because the sound bounces off the walls to be amplified better into the microphone.



Back to top Go down
turdburglar



Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-11-11

PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:21 am

mc wrote:
If you order from Easy Action ask if they have any of the Jimmi Recca booklets left. They printed these after the cd set as Jimmi was AWOL at the time.



Hey, what are the "Jimmy Recca booklets?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)    

Back to top Go down
 
You Dont Want My Name You Want My Action (4 CD Box)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» WOW!! for those who dont play an instrument...
» Modern Soul selection
» Siloam
» SBFII Dress Code
» Fairy Tail

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: