Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Live at Ungano's

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
reliable_foe



Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-04-12

PostSubject: Live at Ungano's   Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:23 am

Hey all, just got a lossless version of "Live at Ungano's" from 1970. What I noticed straight away was how sped up it sounds... Did anyone else notice this? For those who are unsure to why, it is simply because of the tape recorder it was taped on. Sometimes when playing an old tape on different players you will get that speed and pitch increase, which is why the songs sound a little faster and higher in pitch. I got a little annoyed with this (which may be dumb but that is how I am) so I went and pitch and tempo corrected it for my own listening pleasure. Sounds much better and more like (as I imagine it of course) more like the Stooges when they played the gig. Did anyone else happen to do this? Or am I just a weirdo that does things no one else does? Let me know your poinions and whether or not I should make these corrected tracks available. So far I am holding out on that but if anyone really wants them I could possibly make them available.

Keep up with the good shit!!!!
-Scott
Back to top Go down
mc

avatar

Number of posts : 1775
Location : Bristol
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Live at Ungano's   Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Or just the 1/4 ounce of coke Iggy was on for the Unganos shows Smile

You're probably right though I read somewhere else that the speed should be reduced by 5%. Could you post a couple of samples of tracks vs your speed corrected ones?
Back to top Go down
neven



Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Live at Ungano's   Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:23 pm

yes I noticed straight away it was too fast.Just compare ''1970''to cincinatti or goose lake or soldierfield.
It looks like rhino just put the tape on cd without any speedcorrecting or remastering.
Back to top Go down
reliable_foe



Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Live at Ungano's   Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:26 am

mc wrote:
Or just the 1/4 ounce of coke Iggy was on for the Unganos shows Smile

You're probably right though I read somewhere else that the speed should be reduced by 5%. Could you post a couple of samples of tracks vs your speed corrected ones?

I would! But I am still somewhat new to this forum and don't know how to post samples. If you PM me I can probably send you a couple files, like for instance one track with nothing done to it and the same one with the corrections made to it. For references I used the Fun House album as well as the Cincinnati and Goose Lake clips they have around. They will be FLAC files so I hope that would work, although I could send MP3s if wanted.
Back to top Go down
reliable_foe



Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Live at Ungano's   Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:36 am

neven wrote:
yes I noticed straight away it was too fast.Just compare ''1970''to cincinatti or goose lake or soldierfield.
It looks like rhino just put the tape on cd without any speedcorrecting or remastering.

Exactly! I think they might have just wanted to keep it gritty and not tampered with in any way. Probably to keep as much of that bootleg quality as possible.
Back to top Go down
rabid_fish

avatar

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Live at Ungano's   Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:36 pm

i really like the "fastness" of the album... it's even more punky and even more agressive, it seems to prophetize the 1971 era.
Back to top Go down
neven



Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Live at Ungano's   Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:45 pm

reliable_foe wrote:
neven wrote:
yes I noticed straight away it was too fast.Just compare ''1970''to cincinatti or goose lake or soldierfield.
It looks like rhino just put the tape on cd without any speedcorrecting or remastering.

Exactly! I think they might have just wanted to keep it gritty and not tampered with in any way. Probably to keep as much of that bootleg quality as possible.

it's very simple,just play the tape at the same speed as it was recorded. old cassette players are known to run at the wrong speed.also it could be possble the batteries were a bit empty so the recording speed was to slow,then when you playback it's too fast
Back to top Go down
reliable_foe



Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Live at Ungano's   Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:10 am

neven wrote:
reliable_foe wrote:
neven wrote:
yes I noticed straight away it was too fast.Just compare ''1970''to cincinatti or goose lake or soldierfield.
It looks like rhino just put the tape on cd without any speedcorrecting or remastering.

Exactly! I think they might have just wanted to keep it gritty and not tampered with in any way. Probably to keep as much of that bootleg quality as possible.

it's very simple,just play the tape at the same speed as it was recorded. old cassette players are known to run at the wrong speed.also it could be possble the batteries were a bit empty so the recording speed was to slow,then when you playback it's too fast

Oh yes, I have noticed that with any of the old reel-to-reel machines I have worked with in the past. It's just a small quirk, but for some unknown reason it bothered me a little. I guess I may be a bit weird for that or maybe that is how most audiophiles react. haha
Back to top Go down
reliable_foe



Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Live at Ungano's   Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:18 am

rabid_fish wrote:
i really like the "fastness" of the album... it's even more punky and even more agressive, it seems to prophetize the 1971 era.

I like how fast it is too, but I was just curious as to how it may have actually sounded with the right speed. It's not that much of a difference, only about (as was mentioned above) a 5% difference in speed. It doesn't sound as rushed anymore, but I don't think it takes away at all from the overall energy of the concert. It's fine without any corrections, for it isn't that much higher-pitched or tempo (for instance instead of being in E tuning it sounds like F). I just took into account what usually happens with tapes when played in tape decks that work a little faster (or slower) than the one that it was originally recorded on. I think doing the corrections is purely for those people (myself included) who prefer to hear the concert (or in that respect any concert or song on tape) as close to the way it was presented at the time of the recording. In some strange way it just helps put you there a little more, if that makes any real sense.
Back to top Go down
reliable_foe



Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Live at Ungano's   Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:26 am

If anyone would like to hear what differences I have made, I have a link for "Down On the Street". It's in a ZIP file with 2 tracks. The first is the unedited official release and the second is with the speed correction. Of course it is open for comments and any advice you may have, but I think it sounds very well. Oh and these are FLAC files (gotta love lossless!!):

4shared.com/zip/FeF_R9ye/Down_on_the_Street__from_Ungan.html

This is purely for evaluation only and I don't intend on making my corrected version wholly available, unless of course someone actually wants it. This is more or less for my own personal listening pleasure.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

avatar

Number of posts : 417
Age : 59
Location : uk
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Live at Ungano's   Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:00 pm

i doubt rhino cared if it was the incorrect speed. just listen to the collectors edition of the 1st album
Back to top Go down
reliable_foe



Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Live at Ungano's   Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:57 am

gazatthebop wrote:
i doubt rhino cared if it was the incorrect speed. just listen to the collectors edition of the 1st album

Yeah, I hear you on that. I was just doing it for my own personal indulgence I guess.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Live at Ungano's   

Back to top Go down
 
Live at Ungano's
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» The Mahavishnu Live CD - What stopped its release?
» New Mahavishnu Orchestra LIVE
» Jeff Beck Live CD playing Stratus, On BluRay5.1 now
» Yabby You & Gladiators - Live (1986)
» Brigadier Jerry & DJ Mush1 - Live Tunnel One Radio 2009

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: