Share | 

The Stooges Are Working on New Music

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
soldier

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2007-06-17

PostSubject: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:01 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-stooges-are-working-on-new-music-mike-watt-says-20120914

cheers
Back to top Go down
studioguy

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:23 pm

soldier wrote:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-stooges-are-working-on-new-music-mike-watt-says-20120914

cheers

Very cool!!

I know James has been setting up and learning how to use some digital recording software, I can't wait for this!!
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy

Number of posts : 3441
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Came here to post this.

Very exciting news. 9 songs? hopefully this becomes an album (and better yet i hope i get to hear it live at some point)

Wonder if ig will use de tocqueville's democracy in america as a lyrical basis as he said he might

Looking forward to whatever they have to release.
Back to top Go down
fabrice

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-08-02

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:11 pm

can't wait !
Back to top Go down
ChuckN

Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Great news! Hoping to see James' influence turning out to hold the high standard it always did. Also interesting to see how/if Steve Mackay will be used.

Watt saying "This sounds more like James Williamson, more like the guy who's playing guitar on Raw Power than the guy who's playing on Fun House."
Let's hope it would turn out to be something in the Raw Power/Post Raw Power style, and less of a Weirdness/new metal disaster.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:29 pm

Great news!!
Can't wait!
R
Back to top Go down
woody

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:27 pm

Great news indeed. A new Iggy Pop/James Williamson LP is an exciting prospect.
Back to top Go down
fabrice

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:34 pm

obviously Watt is not in a situation that he can say much about this ! I already knew JW sounded more like JW than RA ! ah !
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Number of posts : 2605
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:21 pm

[quote="ChuckN"]
Watt saying "This sounds more like James Williamson, more like the guy who's playing guitar on Raw Power than the guy who's playing on Fun House."
Let's hope it would turn out to be something in the Raw Power/Post Raw Power style, and less of a Weirdness/new metal disaster.[/quote]

The Weirdness wasn't a complete disaster, although having said that, Ron's guitar was far and away the best thing on that record.

Kind of a weird quote from Watt ...

Anyway, exciting news..
Back to top Go down
ChuckN

Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Nadja wrote:

Kind of a weird quote from Watt ...
Indeed. He's stating the obvious. Laughing
I took the quote as saying the style on the new songs was in the Raw Power mould.
Back to top Go down
woody

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:39 pm

Snippet of news on Watt's latest radio show, on what he's been up to in the last few weeks...

"...had to go up to Bay area to record with James Williamson, and then again to Dave Grohl's place in the Valley here for The Stooges, and Ig was here in the Val. It was intense...
...something in the Spring is my guess..."

Wish he'd have spilled a few more beans, but still sounds good.

Back to top Go down
studioguy

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:07 am

Very nice!
Back to top Go down
woody

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:41 pm

Watt makes another passing reference to the new album in this week's show.

"Oh yeah, in between now and that US tour I recorded an album. There's a new Stooges album."

Back to top Go down
fabrice

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:24 pm

repeat : can't wait !
Back to top Go down
studioguy

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:09 pm

Really great news!!

woody wrote:

Watt makes another passing reference to the new album in this week's show.

"Oh yeah, in between now and that US tour I recorded an album. There's a new Stooges album."

Back to top Go down
woody

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:12 pm

That simple sentence "There's a new Stooges album" is thrilling.

I wonder what will James Williamson have up his sleeve for the C21st? Will it be more bludgeoning rock or something mature and refined? Will we get Iggy the delinquent or Iggy the sophisticate? Will James play lap steel? Will Watt get to play some jazz? Or Steve? What about Scott?

I can't wait.

Last edited by woody on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
studioguy

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:19 pm

woody wrote:

What will James Williamson have to offer the C21st? Will it be more bludgeoning rock for the youngsters or something mature and refined for us old folks? Will we get Iggy the delinquent or Iggy the sophisticate? Will James play lap steel? Will Watt get to play some jazz? What about Scott?

I can't wait.

If I had to guess, I would say more like Kill City than Raw Power, with both Iggy's showing up
Back to top Go down
woody

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:16 pm

I think you're right.

Ashamed I forgot Brother Steve. I hope he gets some solos. Forget the age thing too, bludgeoning rock is perfectly fine for seniors, of course. Laughing

Maybe Ron will get a little acknowledgement somewhere.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:52 pm

woody wrote:
I think you're right.

Ashamed I forgot Brother Steve. I hope he gets some solos. Forget the age thing too, bludgeoning rock is perfectly fine for seniors, of course. Laughing

Maybe Ron will get a little acknowledgement somewhere.

I would hope they might do a proper studio version of "Open Up And Bleed" or one of the other demo type songs.

James seems like he could be a perfectionist, I have a good feeling about this record
Back to top Go down
fabrice

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:08 pm

totally agree with studio guy : I need a whole album of new songs with 1 bonus track : a proper studio take for Open Up and Bleed !
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:27 pm

That would be a good compromise Fabrice - a new album with one or two old tracks.
Or how about a double album - one with new songs, and one with decent recordings of the old stuff that never got properly recorded in the first place.

Whatever we get, with James on board it will surely sound terrific. The massive improvements he made to Kill City recently really make me wish he'd been allowed to remaster Raw Power. I know we've all probably got way too many versions of RP, but I can't help thinking that a Williamson remaster of RP would top everything we've ever heard.
Back to top Go down
fabrice

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:49 pm

oh yeah Adams , JW's restored KILL CITY is simply a mind-blowing revelation !
talking of double albums , it shoud have come with a 2nd disc with the JW/IGGY demo tape of the mostly acoustic album ( mentioned in Trynka's book ) , next time maybe !
Back to top Go down
msteeln

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-01-08

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:45 am

James will no doubt be looking to cement his legacy with some serious shit, and with his impressive playing this year on tour it's indeed worth looking forward to knowing where his head has been in regards to his reclaimed fame and just how he wants to bow out, if he does decide to call it quits.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Are Working on New Music   

Back to top Go down

The Stooges Are Working on New Music
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1