Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Give me the best.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
1969bestyearinmusic



Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-11-29

PostSubject: Give me the best.   Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:50 am

Can someone please give me what you think is the best of The Stooges? I'm just trying to make a tape for my friend and I'm can't make up my mind.

Here's what I really want to have on there,

1969
Gimme Danger
I Wanna Be Your Dog
TV Eye
We Will Fall
Tight Pants
Till The End of The Night
Cock in My Pocket

any other thoughts? I can't make up my mind, and my friend is a complete ordinary teenager who listens to Katy Perry and all that crap, so I want him to get the absolute best, and I know I'll fuck that up.
Back to top Go down
fabrice



Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2011-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:47 am

Hi,
I wouldn't mix the stooges songs as each of their albums have very distinctive sounds and atmospheres.
to me the 1st one is the easiest one to give a first listen , the 2nd one is super heavy , and the 3rd one is out of control...

Ready to die has very good things but obviously is less groundbreaking
good luck !
Back to top Go down
woody

avatar

Number of posts : 638
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:44 am

Nice to see you have We Will Fall on your list, but whatever happens you need to include Dirt.

Perhaps you could arrange the tracks chronologically so there's a sense of development, or degradation. However you see it. Wink 

Back to top Go down
adams66



Number of posts : 910
Age : 50
Location : Essex, UK
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:19 pm

If ever I'm trying to get across the ferocity and power of the Wiliamson era Stooges I always play "Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell" - it's a wonderfully relentless track, one of my absolute favourites. I think that you can tell if someone is really going to like the Stooges from their reaction to "YPFIGTH" - they either get it immediately, or hate it immediately. No grey areas with any Raw Power tracks...
Another one that's as powerful as a freight train - "Down On The Street".
I also think your list needs "Open Up And Bleed" - doesn't matter too much which version, it's simply an astonishing song!
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan



Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:45 pm

You don't say what length you want this compilation tape to be, but if I was compiling a 'Best of The Stooges' tape myself I would include the following tracks in this order:

1969 (The Stooges)
I Wanna Be Your Dog (The Stooges)
No Fun (The Stooges)
1970 (Funhouse)
Down on the Street (Funhouse)
Loose (Funhouse)
TV Eye (Funhouse)
Raw Power (Raw Power Legacy Edition - Remastered Bowie Mix)
Search & Destroy (Raw Power - Iggy Remix)
Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell (Raw Power Legacy Edition -Remastered Bowie Mix)
Cock In My Pocket (Metallic KO)
Louie Louie (Metallic KO)

These dozen tracks are a good representative sample of what the Stooges are all about. Of course, every fan will have their own ideas about which tracks should have been included or which tracks should have been left out. But the above selection is a very good start.

Back to top Go down
LARICAT61



Number of posts : 14
Location : Normandie -France
Registration date : 2010-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Also :
Ann (full version)
Gimme Danger

and why not : I'm sick of you ( Iknow not Stooges but JW)
Back to top Go down
sizeable bulge



Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:31 pm

You want the best?? You got the best!! The greatest rock n' roll band in the world - The Stooges!!! (sorry, I love '70's KISS but I couldn't resist that)

Whatever you do with this tape, avoid the recent Stooges albums The Weirdness and Ready To Die. Old age has not been kind to the Stooges. The geriatric Stooges just don't have what the young and hungry Stooges once did. Unfortunately, rock n' roll is for the young it seems.
Back to top Go down
sizeable bulge



Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:47 pm

adams66 wrote:
If ever I'm trying to get across the ferocity and power of the Wiliamson era Stooges I always play "Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell" - it's a wonderfully relentless track, one of my absolute favourites. I think that you can tell if someone is really going to like the Stooges from their reaction to "YPFIGTH" - they either get it immediately, or hate it immediately. No grey areas with any Raw Power tracks...
I gotta disagree with you on that. Raw Power has come to be my favorite album of all time, but my first impression upon hearing it was that it was a poorly recorded piece of shit that sounded nothing like Funhouse, just a bunch of guitar noise. It was only after I listened to it multiple times that it hit me and I was able to digest the brilliance of it. It is not a first time, easy listen kind of record.
Back to top Go down
sizeable bulge



Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:58 pm

LARICAT61 wrote:
Also :
Ann (full version)
Gimme Danger

and why not : I'm sick of you ( Iknow not Stooges but JW)
What do you mean "not Stooges"? "I'm Sick Of You" is a bonafide Stooges track featuring original  members of the band, recorded in 1972.
Back to top Go down
1969bestyearinmusic



Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:58 pm

sizeable bulge wrote:
You want the best?? You got the best!! The greatest rock n' roll band in the world - The Stooges!!! (sorry, I love '70's KISS but I couldn't resist that)

Whatever you do with this tape, avoid the recent Stooges albums The Weirdness and Ready To Die. Old age has not been kind to the Stooges. The geriatric Stooges just don't have what the young and hungry Stooges once did. Unfortunately, rock n' roll is for the young it seems.
Cool, thanks. Anyway, I am not a fan of the new stuff anyway. The Stooges aren't a "classic," they will live on forever, but, their new stuff can never compete with the greats.

Also, my friend is a complete lame ass, I think he found out about Iggy from that fucking kesha song, (which I think is shit) and anyway, I just want him to start listening to music that has some real meaning behind it.
Back to top Go down
blackout88

avatar

Number of posts : 66
Location : Glasgow, Scotland
Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:08 pm

I Wanna Be Your Dog
Real Cool Time
Loose
Dirt
I'm Sick of You
Gimme Some Skin
Search & Destroy
Gimme Danger
Death Trip
Open Up & Bleed

My top tracks by a mile! If that takes hold then let them figure out the Raw Power by themselves.
Back to top Go down
http://unwantedfriends.blogspot.com/
woody

avatar

Number of posts : 638
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:10 am

sizeable bulge wrote:
I gotta disagree with you on that. Raw Power has come to be my favorite album of all time, but my first impression upon hearing it was that it was a poorly recorded piece of shit that sounded nothing like Funhouse, just a bunch of guitar noise. It was only after I listened to it multiple times that it hit me and I was able to digest the brilliance of it. It is not a first time, easy listen kind of record.
I gotta disagree with you on that. The immediate impact of Raw Power was much greater than that of either of the two early albums to me on hearing them for the first time in the mid-70s. I rate the Stooges earliest work their best, but the impression of hearing Raw Power for the very first time will never leave me. The thrill was visceral, sudden, overwhelming... and I never got that from either of the two earlier albums. It's all about the guitar.

I'd also include 'Your Pretty Face...' on a introductory mix.
Back to top Go down
adams66



Number of posts : 910
Age : 50
Location : Essex, UK
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:33 pm

I can see both points of view re Raw Power. I agree with Woody - for me Raw Power hit me, hard and I was instantly won over.
But I can understand Sizeable Bulge's view that Raw Power can be offputting by virtue of it's uncompromising production.
But I think that we all agree that once Raw Power has won you over, either instantly or steathily, then it's really got you!
Back to top Go down
mghifi



Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:34 pm

Raw Power is my favorite rock record of all time. Period. From the first time I listened to it, it blew me away. There is nothing like it before or since that even comes close.
Back to top Go down
mc

avatar

Number of posts : 1765
Location : Bristol
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:46 pm

1969bestyearinmusic wrote:
Can someone please give me what you think is the best of The Stooges? I'm just trying to make a tape for my friend and I'm can't make up my mind.

Here's what I really want to have on there,

1969
Gimme Danger
I Wanna Be Your Dog
TV Eye
We Will Fall
Tight Pants
Till The End of The Night
Cock in My Pocket

any other thoughts? I can't make up my mind, and my friend is a complete ordinary teenager who listens to Katy Perry and all that crap, so I want him to get the absolute best, and I know I'll fuck that up.
I would start the tape off with something that'll grab his attention so he actually decides it's worth listening to the rest of it ie I Wanna Be Your Dog, then:

1969
Real Cool Time
TV Eye
1970
Gimme Danger (bowie version)
Search and Destroy (bowie version)
I Gotta Right
Gimme Some Skin
Head On
Johanna
Open Up and Bleed
Back to top Go down
Nadja

avatar

Number of posts : 2608
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:00 pm

I would say just join the first two albums together but that's because I'm an incorrigible 'original Stooges' fan.
Anyway, you're on a great mission.
Back to top Go down
woody

avatar

Number of posts : 638
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:46 am

Can't argue with that Nadja! Twisted Evil Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Luzern

avatar

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:17 pm

1969
I Wanna Be Your Dog
No Fun
Not Right
Little Doll
Down On The Street
Loose
Dirt
TV Eye
1970
Search & Destroy
Gimme Danger
Raw Power
I Got A Right
I'm Sick Of You
Open Up And Bleed (Detroit Rehearsal)
Johanna (Detroit Rehearsal)
You Better Run (Version 2)
Passing Cloud
Burn
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Give me the best.   

Back to top Go down
 
Give me the best.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» No Hot Flashes - Just a Cold Sweat!
» SusaHumor Raffle!
» The Joke Thread
» Lovers Rock 12" selection (3 mixes! - November 2009)
» jazz quotes

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: