Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 james williamson

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
johnnylove

avatar

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: james williamson   Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:50 pm

what did he do before the stooges?
Back to top Go down
sizeable bulge



Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: james williamson   Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:23 am

nm
Back to top Go down
sizeable bulge



Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: james williamson   Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:38 am

johnnylove wrote:
what did he do before the stooges?

In his teens he was in a band called the Coba Seas. There was a CD (or LP?) put out a few years ago though I haven't heard it. After that he joined the Chosen Few with Scott Richardson (of SRC fame). Ron Asheton later joined this band as bass player, but contrary to popular belief, Ron and James were not in the band at the same time, though it was here that James took notice of Ron's bass playing skills, which would factor into the decision to invite Ron back into the Stooges as bass player.
Back to top Go down
harmonia

avatar

Number of posts : 16
Age : 47
Location : UK
Registration date : 2009-09-29

PostSubject: Re: james williamson   Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:33 pm

to flip the question what has been doing since the "re-licked" album? I never bought that but was hoping he was going to put together some new material with other musicians as I have a hunch he may have a lot interesting music in him.
Back to top Go down
Perdu

avatar

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: james williamson   Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:42 pm

He put together this live gig with many of the artists on his Re-Licked solo album. See all the photos of that show here: http://fastfilm1.blogspot.com/2015/02/james-williamson-re-licked-live-show.html
Back to top Go down
johnnylove

avatar

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: james williamson   Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:01 am

Thank you guys so much. Been meaning to check out the relicked thing...
Back to top Go down
sizeable bulge



Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: james williamson   Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:55 pm

harmonia wrote:
to flip the question what has been doing since the "re-licked" album?   I never bought that but was hoping he was going to put together some new material with other musicians as I have a hunch he may have a lot interesting music in him.

I kinda consider the re-licked album a form of sacrilege, being a die-hard Stooges fan, but I plan on buying it for the sole reason that the lyrics are supposedly made plain on it. But it has gotten good reviews so maybe I will enjoy it of its own merits.

I'm sure right now James is enjoying a very "sweet" retirement, courtesy of the Sony buyout, and the Iggy & The Stooges reunion festival gigs, which I'm sure garnered him a pretty penny given that the Ashetons weren't involved and that the new rhythm section likely earned a lot less than they (Iggy/James) would have. But who could have guessed in 1973 that an ex-juvenile delinquent, junkie punk rocker, and porno theater projectionist could have ended up in the 1% bracket, through purely legitimate means? But the man had the talent to make it happen. All credit to him.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

avatar

Number of posts : 842
Location : Saint Paul, MN
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: james williamson   Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:51 am

Most of Re-Licked is very good actually, I didn't care for the Alison Mosshart tracks as much as the rest, she wasn't "Stoogie" enough for me!! lol
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
thine

avatar

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-08-30

PostSubject: Re: james williamson   Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:42 am

sizeable bulge wrote:
I kinda consider the re-licked album a form of sacrilege, being a die-hard Stooges fan, but I plan on buying it for the sole reason that the lyrics are supposedly made plain on it. But it has gotten good reviews so maybe I will enjoy it of its own merits.

I'm sure right now James is enjoying a very "sweet" retirement, courtesy of the Sony buyout, and the Iggy & The Stooges reunion festival gigs, which I'm sure garnered him a pretty penny given that the Ashetons weren't involved and that the new rhythm section likely earned a lot less than they (Iggy/James) would have. But who could have guessed in 1973 that an ex-juvenile delinquent, junkie punk rocker, and porno theater projectionist could have ended up in the 1% bracket, through purely legitimate means? But the man had the talent to make it happen. All credit to him.

I go with everything you say here - being such a JW devotee I didn't expect to be quite so disappointed with the Re-Licked project, but wasn't too surprised given the passing years, and there's no substitute for the crucial chemistry between JW and The Ig. The intensity that Iggy's unfortunately fraught circumstances brought to Kill City is unique - one reason why it's such a great album - and any reinterpretations will inevitably sound - well, let's honest be - bland.
But better to hear JW at work than not, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
mghifi



Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: james williamson   Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:21 am

James guitar playing on Re-Licked was nothing short of brilliant. Maybe look past the vocalists and you'll enjoy it more. This was the one show they played live for the Re-Licked album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSOQy_C6zg
Back to top Go down
thine

avatar

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-08-30

PostSubject: Re: james williamson   Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:35 pm

mghifi wrote:
James guitar playing on Re-Licked was nothing short of brilliant. Maybe look past the vocalists and you'll enjoy it more.
Well, a multi-track (some hope) would make it eminently more enjoyable, that's for sure. :-)
Back to top Go down
woody

avatar

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: james williamson   Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:39 pm

I dream of a multi-track of The Weirdness. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: james williamson   

Back to top Go down
 
james williamson
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» New interview: James Williamson: Stooge to Suit to Stooge
» James Williamson Talks recording new material
» James Williamson Equipment
» Ron Asheton and James Williamson
» James Williamson, Glen Matlock & a curry

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: