Stooges film - Gimme Danger

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
let me in!

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:06 am

But I think if you look holistically at the Stooges footage picture you will realize that it is really an embarrassment of riches. There are a lot of bands from the late 60's/early 70's of which no footage exists at all. I can't find any footage of Cactus nor of the original Modern Lovers. But lets look at the Stooges picture:

Late 1960's: footage from the Delta Pop Festival (or Grande Ballroom - whatever you want to believe)
1970: footage from Cincinnati Pop Festival as well as Gooselake
1973: footage from St.Louis, NYC (Academy Of Music), and Detroit (Ford Theater) .
Back to top Go down
let me in!

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:21 am

Now I've never seen the Ford Theater footage so I can't really comment but like osterbergermeister who saw it in Gimme Danger doc, I've seen footage (on Canadian tv) of Iggy with platinum blonde hair from the Raw Power era. It could have been from the Ford Theater show but I don't really know only that it wasn't from St.Louis or NYC, Academy Of Music, so it appears that there are at least 3 sources of Raw Power era video footage on record.Maybe somebody who has seen the Ford Theater footage can comment on this. I'm not really sure where it originated from. Only that it was from 1973.
Back to top Go down
Rigsby

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:06 pm

Availability of Stooges footage versus availability of Modern Lovers footage isn't a meaningful comparison. During their shorter lifetime (1970-74), the Modern Lovers weren't signed to a label, didn't release any records and barely received any press attention so the lack of film isn't a surprise. The Stooges were on two major labels, released three albums, had a wild telegenic frontman and were frequently featured in the press.

A better comparison would be the availability of good quality, professionally shot footage of the Stooges and the MC5. The Five win hands down.

The lack of Cactus footage is a hardship most people seem happy to bear.
Back to top Go down
midnight frank

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:09 pm

I saw the film recently myself, and unfortunately the best thing I can say about it was it was decent... Sure the story is told, but the whole aura of the Stooges is kind of missing in my opinion. Τhe fun, danger and the catharsis of their music. The movie sometimes feels like all the good things that are being said - about how influential the Stooges were etc - are an exaggeration, when probably is the other way round, since in my opinion the group is still somewhat underappreciated.

I bumped into this article some days back, and I can say it captures a good percentage of how I experienced the film:
http://www.factmag.com/2016/11/19/gimme-danger-review-jim-jarmusch-the-stooges/

Don't mean to sound negative though. This documentary was one man's opinion about the band, that's all. As Jarmusch has mentioned, this is the story as he wanted to tell it - giving his perspective. And in the end I guess it's better having this, than nothing.

Last edited by midnight frank on Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
oceanbreeze

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2016-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:56 am

I enjoyed the documentary, but I think the absence of Ron really left its mark. It would have been great if we could have gotten a story of the Stooges with Ron getting equal or close to equal screen time with Iggy, especially since Iggy has talked so much shit about the Ashetons over the years. (There's a lot from Ron in "Please Kill Me," but that focuses more on the sex-and-drugs aspects of the band than the music, performances, and The Stooges as a group. He's in that VH1 doc about Iggy from the '90s, but since that's about Iggy's whole career he doesn't get the status he would have in a Stooges doc.)

But a big upside of the "Gimme Danger" movie for me was how Jarmusch focused on the band as band rather than a bunch of guys who smoked a lot of weed and did a bunch of heroin. Drugs are obviously a big part of the Stooges story, but it's the music and performances that really set them apart. So props to Jarmusch for respecting that, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Number of posts : 2605
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:50 pm

[quote="midnight frank"], since in my opinion the group is still somewhat underappreciated.

/[/quote]

I can't help feeling the same, even although it seems to have become de rigueur to namecheck The Stooges (or Iggy & the Stooges) when discussing the development of punk and all that.
Back to top Go down
let me in!

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:57 pm

I don't think in 1974 that you could have scripted the Stooges Story any better than how it turned out. Induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Inclusion in Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Artists Of All Time. All 3 studio albums making Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time.A documentary film by a renowned filmmaker. Music licensed for commercials infiltrating the mainstream. A half a dozen box sets put out. Every decent live recording being at least semi-officially released etc.

But you wonder. If Iggy had died like he was supposed to in the early to mid 1970's, how would this have changed things? I guess it would have upped the "cool" factor but in my estimation the band would not have achieved the same sort of fame and renown otherwise, mostly due to his subsequent solo fame. But no doubt the band's music would have lived on. It was just too strong to ever die.
Back to top Go down
let me in!

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:45 am

Rigsby wrote:
Availability of Stooges footage versus availability of Modern Lovers footage isn't a meaningful comparison. During their shorter lifetime (1970-74), the Modern Lovers weren't signed to a label

They were signed to Warners in 1973. They recorded an album with Kim Fowley but the label declined to release it  when Richman informed them that he wouldn't be performing the songs live anymore. But I get your point that they weren't widely known outside Massachusetts. But the thing is that both Jerry Harrison and Ernie Brooks were both film students so you would think that they would have an interest in filming the band much like Morrison/Manzarek (Doors) did. In fact Jerrry filmed the band in 1970 when they were a trio, and incorporated it into a student film of his. Additionally the book There's Something About Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers mentions mysterious onlookers who would film the band at their shows. So what happened to all this film? I don't know only that we should be grateful that a lot of Stooges footage survives.
Back to top Go down
mc

Number of posts : 1760
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:51 pm

let me in! wrote:
Now I've never seen the Ford Theater footage so I can't really comment but like osterbergermeister who saw it in Gimme Danger doc, I've seen footage (on Canadian tv) of Iggy with platinum blonde hair from the Raw Power era. It could have been from the Ford Theater show but I don't really know only that it wasn't from St.Louis or NYC, Academy Of Music, so it appears that there are at least 3 sources of Raw Power era video footage on record.Maybe somebody who has seen the Ford Theater footage can comment on this. I'm not really sure where it originated from. Only that it was from 1973.

I believe the Ford Theater footage (all 15 seconds of it) is what appears on the Destroy All Monsters - Grow Live Monsters DVD. It's definitely the Stooges from 1973 and is similar in quality to the St Louis footage which appeared in the Raw Power box ie not great.
Back to top Go down
stooges

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:32 pm

Anyone can send me all old stooges footages from this 1? You can into PM, thx Very Happy
Back to top Go down
midnight frank

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:12 pm

New review...

http://thequietus.com/articles/21466-gimme-danger-review

A bit harsh, but makes some valid points I think.
Back to top Go down
KarlR

Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:17 am

I finally got to watch 'Gimme Danger' last night and agree with a lot of what's been said but the biggest surprise to me was the way Jarmusch almost completely ignored the post Raw Power era leading up to the Metallic KO shows. When you consider how well this period has been documented by live and rehearsal bootlegs to me this is a mind-boggling oversight by Jarmusch. And to not even mention the final Michigan Palace show is very strange. I actually had to go back and have a look to see if I'd somehow missed it, but nope, nothing there...
Back to top Go down
gupio

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2014-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:37 pm

just like 71 recca set with two guitars....
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Gimme Danger will be shown on the Rotterdam filmfestival IFFR next week 4 times.
I'm going friday afternoon, so see you there?
Back to top Go down
Cooper27

Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:01 am

Can someone tell me why the movie didn't get released on Blu-ray
Back to top Go down
fabrice

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2011-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:16 am

looks like the UK Blu-R is out now ? the French Blu-R is bumped to June ! that makes sense ! :wacko:
Back to top Go down
Cooper27

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:34 pm

I see, because the U.S DVD just came out yesterday, but no Blu-ray. Hopefully in a couple of months
Back to top Go down
soldier

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2007-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:55 am

Back to top Go down
Pop Stüge

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Watched it the other day and came away feeling the same way that I did after watching the MC5 doc: sad and disappointed that neither band reached it's full potential. That so many of the characters are dead and gone too really hits home. Still Iggy tells the story with sharp wit and humor and Jarmusch supplies old stock footage of American life in the 60's & 70's for the kids. Stooges clips are nice but just leaves me wanting more.
Back to top Go down
Luzern

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:42 am

Pop Stüge wrote:
Watched it the other day and came away feeling the same way that I did after watching the MC5 doc: sad and disappointed that neither band reached it's full potential. That so many of the characters are dead and gone too really hits home. Still Iggy tells the story with sharp wit and humor and Jarmusch supplies old stock footage of American life in the 60's & 70's for the kids. Stooges clips are nice but just leaves me wanting more.

The footage of rioting fans that follows the story about Steve Mackay playing drums was filmed at a Bill Haley show in Berlin/Germany in 1958 where a riot broke out. I live in Germany and the footage is well-known over here since it's often shown on German television (the riots at the 1958 Bill Haley shows were Germany's first taste of Rock & Roll abandon). This makes me question the authenticity of some of the other footage they included, like is that really Iggy's trailer bedroom in the photo they used etc. etc.

Bill Haley in Berlin 1958 (footage used in "Gimme Danger" at around 1:20):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsp5bLCPMNU
Back to top Go down
Rigsby

Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm guessing most of the footage in the film which doesn't feature members of the band was library footage used to give a feel for what the Stooge experience would have been like. As I see it, that's a legitimate technique. In fact, the documentary felt a bit like a Julian Temple effort (but not as good). Temple uses the same mix and match style but achieves a more satisfying result.

Overall the film was better than I feared it would be but it isn't something I'm overly keen to watch again. The lack of Ron Asheton interview footage was a big drawback. Ron was Ig's creative equal for the first two albums and deserved more screen time. Obviously he died before the work on the documentary began but only modest extracts from two well known interviews are used. Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain (authors of the excellent Please Kill Me book) apparently have 15 hours of Ron Asheton audio interview tapes so it's a shame some of the that material didn't make its way into the film.

The film's other major drawback has been mentioned before - playing the studio version of 1969 at the end pretty much in its entirety (with Ron on guitar) while Raw Power era footage (with James Williamson on guitar) is on screen. Dear oh dear.
Back to top Go down
AnxietyDilemma

Registration date : 2015-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:54 am

Is there a Blu-Ray release slated for the States? I see no mention of it.
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 996
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:41 pm

You can get one here:
http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/iggy-stooges-gimme-danger
Back to top Go down
Cooper27

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:30 pm

Donald wrote:
You can get one here:

Is this a legit website?
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 996
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:35 pm

Cooper27 wrote:
Donald wrote:
You can get one here:

Is this a legit website?

Yes, I've bought a few things from it. Sometimes it has things you just can't get anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stooges film - Gimme Danger    

Back to top Go down

Stooges film - Gimme Danger
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next