Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

How rare are pics/audio from Iggy & Stooges before 1969?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MickeyRodr16

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-11-06

PostSubject: How rare are pics/audio from Iggy & Stooges before 1969?   Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:37 pm

I read an article a few months ago that mentioned a guy that had 4 extremely rare pictures of their first show. One picture was said to be of Scott Asheton beating on the oil drums which would be so cool to see. I was interested if they have surfaced online anywhere.
Back to top Go down
mc

Number of posts : 1781
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: How rare are pics/audio from Iggy & Stooges before 1969?   Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:49 am

Yes, those are the photos by Steve Bober taken at the Ann Arbor Armory in April 1968.  The one of the band all seated started doing the rounds on the internet a few years ago without Steve's knowledge.  He'd tried to get a copy of the photo to Iggy back in 1987 via his road crew at a gig but didn't hear anything back. I'm pleased whoever it made it to kept it safe and leaked it as it's such a unique photo.  

At this point no-one knew who had taken the photo but I was contacted by Steve when I shared the photo on another site, asking me politely "how the hell I had got a hold of his photo?"

Very convenient timing really as the Gimme Danger documentary guys and gals were looking for rare Stooges photos and things right around then and I put them in touch with Steve. So this photo and one of Scotty playing the Oil Drum (as a bass kick drum) appear in Gimme Danger. This 50 gallon drum is painted white and has green and orange 'mystic symbols' painted on it (by Dave?).

The one other photo I've seen of Steve's is a side on shot of Iggy on stage with Ron behind and a few audience members on the floor.

Steve shared an apartment with original Stooges manager Ron Richardson that's why he was there photographing.

As an aside I wondered whether Scotty's oil "kick drum" was actually the 200 gallon drum mentioned in various Stooges biographies (just exaggerated over the years) but no Jimmy Silver who played the 200 gallon drum confirmed to it wasn't. What he payed was so big it had to be sited below the stage in the orchestra pit - not sure he played it at this particular gig though.

Back to top Go down

How rare are pics/audio from Iggy & Stooges before 1969?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1