Share | 

The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
mc

Number of posts : 1765
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:04 pm

What's the difference between the original and the newer edition?
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy

Number of posts : 3441
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:25 pm

the new ones about twice the size, huge book, and i think theres probl more photos, and probly better quality, i dunno, i just presume theres a difference in terms of paper quality and maybe it going thru a computer fix up and stuff

also theres quotes and stuff through out the book and what i guess you could call 'art work' by mick rock, which is mashups of rthe photos and stuff

thats bascially it i gues, but for 5! just get it, as we were saying so you can pull stuff out of it and do what you wish
Back to top Go down
mc

Number of posts : 1765
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:29 pm

Maybe I'll take a few along to Get Loaded see if I can sell them for a tenner.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy

Number of posts : 3441
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:33 pm

Lol, serious? well i guess all power to you, esp if you can make some money
Back to top Go down
Angusyd van Hyman

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:55 pm

Wish I could get it... I'd probably buy it if it was for sale in a store around here, but it would be a bit complicated to get it through amazon.

Just checked it out : almost 20 on amazon.fr, too expensive. ARGH. Mad
Back to top Go down
dorianmode

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:05 pm

It wasn't such a bad read...just very lightweight, & a few basic errors and omissions as someone said
of course 'Open Up and Bleed' is THE definitive work when it comes to the Stooges!
Back to top Go down
jpod

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2007-09-11

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:05 pm

Picked this up in HMV on Saturday. I thought ' what the hell , it's reduced to a fiver'

i'm about half way thru and seems to be full of second hand quotes and interviews with periphery characters.

the best details so far;
anecdote of conversation that stated that Ron really thought the mix of Fun House was terrible!
I had to laugh at that since there is obviously so much said about RP mix. seems its hard to please everyone.

and scott in his back yard with a shotgun using the "Dog" 7in as clay pigeon targets!!.

I think Paul T's book is excellent and anyone attempting to re-tell that story is gonna have a tough time. i wanna read 'I need more' also just to get Iggy's skewed perspective.
Back to top Go down
woody

Number of posts : 638
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:03 am

A bit late to the party on this one... but I just read Callwood's book 'The Stooges: A Journey Through The Michigan Underworld'.

What a crock. I've never read anything so lazy, sloppy and self-indulgent. The typos, misspellings and clumsy syntax run throughout, there are many many errors in detail, it's confusing and very thin. Just one glaring example of its deficiency: some might consider Dave Alexander's departure from the band a pretty significant moment in their history, but Callwood doesn't mention it. Maybe no one provided a nice quote for him to type out describing how and why it happened, so he just left it out. ?

He clearly picked up a bit of info whilst researching his MC5 book (also full of typos and confusing errors, by the way) and figured he could knock out a quick one on The Stooges by transcribing some rambling and often irrelevant interviews with peripheral characters he met along the way. He admits he only managed to speak with the band members a couple of weeks before his deadline. This is a superficial rush job, OK for a magazine perhaps, but not for a book.

The most irritating thing is all the filler he's stuck in about himself and the irrelevant and boring details of his research, hence the diverting subtitle 'A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld'. It's misleading, we might reasonably think it's the tale of The Stooges on their historic 'Journey Through the Michigan Underworld' but no, it's Brett Callwood's own journey from one place to another and the silly details of his mundane experience collecting some information for the book. We're even treated to extracts of his diary, because he presumably considers it's important for us to know where he had a beer, how good his omelette was, and who he visited on a particular evening. This stuff has no relevance to The Stooges at all; it's only relevant to anyone interested in Brett Callwood, presumably. What a conceit.

Truth to tell, his MC5 book was pretty dull, also full of typos and confusing errors, very irritating to read, but this one is much worse.

I'm tempted to send it back to the publishers with all the corrections done in red ink, it would look very colorful, and someone at the publishers might realise that they need to take more care about their books.

There must be a relevant emoticon for this... oh yeah, here we go...

Back to top Go down
osterbergermeister

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2007-03-08

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Man, I agree with you wholeheartedly on this one. I had forgotten what a piece of crap it was (I bought & read it when it first came out) until I read your description. I had the very same desire to mark it up with corrections. I remember being skeptical about it as soon as I opened it and jumped to the photos and found (at least) two errors just in the captions - this was before reading one word of the text!!

Shite.

Steve
Back to top Go down
zaval80

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-01-31

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:52 pm

It's an OK book considering that books about The Stooges started growing on trees only recently Smile) as an absolute rip-off book (author dedicating the bulk of a book to his personal experiences rather than his stated subject) there's an absolute nadir - some guy wrote around 1995 the book about "Van der Graaf Generator", the progressive band, called "Lemming Chronicles" - must be browsed through to be believed. Callwood has nothing on that guy, AND he made good by writing the MC5 book (I lament the non-happening of Ben Edmonds' one to this day).
Back to top Go down
woody

Number of posts : 638
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:49 pm

'Lemming Chronicles' sounds terrible.

Is this something to do with low expectations of 'Rock Journalism in the Facebook Age Of MySpace Twittery', wherein everyone is encouraged to believe that every latest bit of mundane trivia of their own personal thought and deed is somehow interesting and relevant to the world at large? The shoes of Nick Kent and Lester Bangs are not for shining by these incompetent hacks.

I have to say I read Callwood's MC5 book first and I found it boring and irritating because his writing style is so sloppy and banal, and his grasp of syntax and punctuation so poor. I was having to re-read passages in the hope of teasing out the meaning from his garbled prose.

'Is this a continuation of the previous speaker's quotation or not? Where are the punctuation clues to the meaning of this paragraph? Why doesn't someone care to make the necessary corrections to this crappy text? Doesn't the publisher employ a copy editor? How can anyone put this stuff out and think they've done a reasonable job?'

That was the MC5 book.

The Stooges book is way worse. Maybe 'The Lemming Chronicles' is the nadir for authorial egomania but it surely can't be worse for relative illiteracy.

At least Callwood looks like he made a bit of an effort with the MC5 book: it looks like he spent some time on it, and maybe he tried his best with it, but the Stooges book is just slapdash trash knocked out to turn a quick buck.

I was so irritated by it that I wrote a review on Amazon, first time I've ever done that. It's not nice to criticize, but sometimes it has to be done.
Back to top Go down
zaval80

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-01-31

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:46 pm

There are many disgusting trends in rock books (the most irritating is IMO when author consciously substitutes true information for something else, so that plagiators would copy everything "as is"). You are right that most of them would gain immensely if fact-checkers, name-checkers, grammar-checkers, etc. were employed, but sadly that's how the most books are within the current industry. It depends solely on the author if he is able to rise above the lowest common denominator level or not. It would be great if Callwood listened to your or somebody else's critique and presented us with a revised edition sometime later, as examples do exist of rock authors presenting much more substantial rewrites of their earlier tomes when they feel the first attempts left something lacking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   

Back to top Go down

The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3